GAME THREAD

Seannie34

What could Darcy have offered Atlanta for Heatley, just out of curiosity? Ottawa had Hossa available (who Muckler did not bring to Ottawa by the way), do you think Atlanta might have been willing to give him to the Sabres for Dumont or even Satan had the Sabres re-signed him?

i like that call... we got nothing to offer in return for a player of heatleys caliber... i hate that guy anyway... he's reckless, smug and immature... he's good but who cares... he's got a bad attitude.

Yes, Muckler is a better GM than Regier and you ABSOLUTELY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD w/ regard to Larry. Larry coming back was the primary reason I was leary of the Golisano bid. Muckler brought in Heatley and Dom. He did not bring in Alfreddson, Havlat, Spezza, Chara, etc.

I don't think anyone would question that Muckler is by far a better GM than Regier. I never understood how we lost both Muckler and Nolan.

But that was 8 years, and two owners ago. We could just as easily moan about losing Bowman. That's in the distant past, too.

Guest monkeygirl

I'm sorry, I forgot to source, silly me....

WGR has just reported that Ryan Miller may be out 6-8 weeks with a broken thumb.

That's a fantastic bomb to drop after the worst game ever.

... were getting a bag of pucks for biron gaurenteed now.

Not necessarily. Biron and Noronen will both have opportunities to get the "rust" worked off especially if Ryan really is out 6-8 weeks. It would have been nice to see Biron (or Noronen) keep some of the rust off earlier in the season, but hey, it's a good thing to never play your backup because you know you will never need him in a pinch. <_<

Marty and Noronen will not be judged on this one game alone anymore than Belfour was judged on his last game against Ottawa. This may actually result in Marty or Mika having MORE trade value than just sitting on the bench or the press box.

Well that was fun!!!! Can't wait til the next meeting, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that :rolleyes:

I don't know what to think of Drury anymore. I guess I was expecting him to play like he did in Colorado, but obviously that is impossible without Sakic, Forsberg, Tanguay, Hejduk and company.

I really reallly realllly wish they would make a trade, a good solid trade. For a good solid defenseman to partner up with McKee, for a solid and respectable playmaker, for someone solid. This idleness will only take us so far and that won't be far enough this season.

OMGGGGGGGG, Ryan Miller is out 6-8 weeks with a broken thumb! UGHHHHH

UGHHHH

UGHHHHHHH

UGHHHHHHHH

well #%^$#! were in it deep now... no miller = no chance... what a great night ya know... biron is softer then raycroft was in his first game 3 years ago... this is nuts... if the 6-8 weeks is accurate... get ready for a long haul to the basement... AND fast!

I don't think anyone would question that Muckler is by far a better GM than Regier.  I never understood how we lost both Muckler and Nolan.

But that was 8 years, and two owners ago.  We could just as easily moan about losing Bowman.  That's in the distant past, too.

It was also with the SAME TEAM PRESIDENT THE TEAM CURRENTLY HAS. So, while it is ancient history, it may bear remembering.

Not necessarily. Biron and Noronen will both have opportunities to get the "rust" worked off especially if Ryan really is out 6-8 weeks. It would have been nice to see Biron (or Noronen) keep some of the rust off earlier in the season, but hey, it's a good thing to never play your backup because you know you will never need him in a pinch. <_<

Marty and Noronen will not be judged on this one game alone anymore than Belfour was judged on his last game against Ottawa. This may actually result in Marty or Mika having MORE trade value than just sitting on the bench or the press box.

thats a good point but belfours job is secure and he'll bounce back... theres a huge gap beetween biron and miller... miller is just solid and extends and gets in position fast and hard while biron kinda just throws himself in the way or waves a pad at a goal... he looks more scared in there then confident... miller stands up against everything!

thats a good point but belfours job is secure and he'll bounce back... theres a huge gap beetween biron and miller... miller is just solid and extends and gets in position fast and hard while biron kinda just throws himself in the way or waves a pad at a goal... he looks more scared in there then confident... miller stands up against everything!

I didn't see any of the preseason games, but it did not appear from the stat sheets and game reports that Marty played poorly in the preseason. I will agree (again based upon what I read) that Ryan outplayed Marty in the preseason.

Based upon that, and the fact that Marty has not been as mentally tough as I might like him to be, I had hoped that Lindy would NOT play mind games with Biron for just this reason - the team might actually need to use it's backup. I had hoped that Marty would have had a start roughly every 4 games. He didn't and now he will have to play the "rust" off. Either that or Mika will have to play the rust off. It might be easier for Mika to put this game behind him as he didn't even think he would be a warmup goalie this evening, much less play when he woke up this morning. There is no way Mika could have been fully mentally ready for this game on this short of notice. He can get himself mentally ready for the next start, the question is, how long to get physically ready. He was going down VERY early, as he has more confidence in his positioning and reactions, that problem should abate.

In the Isles game, I was very impressed with the way Marty did not just fold up after he gave up the 2 quick goals. Hopefully, Lindy can find a way for Marty (& Mika) to put this game behind him. I think Lindy needs to tell the goalies who will start on Friday and what the terms are to play again on Saturday. My personal preference would be for Lindy to plan on playing one in Buffalo and the other in Montreal and let the goalies know that ahead of time.

The Sens are good - DAMN good, but they're not 10-4 good.

Biron is as a big a sieve as he ever was, and the rest of the team didn't think they were supposed to play tonight.

Same old Sabres, and god I detest them for that. With Miller out, we'll be rubbing elbows with The Pens in not time.

Oh well, I was kinda missing the good old 2-9-3'ish November and Decembers :(

The crowd looked really nice tonight. I know only 14K was annouced, i'm guessing like 2000 tickets were given away as freebies lol

Crowd look good in person from what i heard from buddies who went and looked really nice on tv.

Hopefully they get a nice 17000+ crowd Friday and win it and then tie Montreal saturday and we all will be able to forget this day ever happened.

Let's remember, Ottawa is the best team on the planet. Without Miller, and Grier and a very shaky defense, i'm not suprised.

Ruff needs to get the boys ready for Friday though, if we lose again on Friday, this season is headed south very fast and we might be in a crash course.....

You guys are funny :lol:

What did you expect.

You sit two goalies for the first month of the season. Give one a token start. And then expect them to shut down the best team in hockey.

Take a good look at the Sen's.

They have had the same problems off the ice as Buffalo has had. They even have to deal with the currencey issue. And yet they are miles and miles ahead of the Sabres.

And by the way. Who is the Sen's GM? Who traded for Heatley?

OK. Come on. Start posting on how Regier is a great GM. Larry Quinn is moron. Getting rid of Muckler and signing the cheapest priced guy they could find. Muckler is building a Cup team in Ottawa just like he did in Buffalo. I doubt they will be as stupid as Quinn was and fire him before he is done. ;)

I've never had more of a problem with what you have just said. The Sens were the worst team hockey has ever seen for their first 4 years. (new Sens, not including team from 1930's) They parlayed that into high draft picks which took about 7 or 8 years to develop into the team they are today. Buffalo couldn't get to where Ottawa is because if they lose that badly for that long their will be no team in Buffalo. Therefore, we are only going to be as good as our current players develop into because we aren't going to benefit from having a top two or three pick. Although we should have in the last draft but as usual we got hosed in that to. :unsure:

quinn is a moron. reiger is a pretty crap GM (way too passive). but last night the whole team played badly. Breire got 3 points but that was the highlight. Biron and Noronen are rusty, sure, but that'll pan out over time and after a game or two they'll have shaken that off.

But neither biron or noronen are reliable backups. IMHO

That's true and a good point. Quinn hasn't in my opinion done anything to improve the Sabres. At least he says they're going back to blue an gold... That's one earlier mistake that he'll fix.

Who should Golisano hire, though? The aren't any Mucklers waiting in the wings...

That's true and a good point. Quinn hasn't in my opinion done anything to improve the Sabres. At least he says they're going back to blue an gold... That's one earlier mistake that he'll fix.

Who should Golisano hire, though? The aren't any Mucklers waiting in the wings...

no point in even presuming. Quinn will stay cause golisano thinks his good and we're just unappreciative of his amazing talent. problem with a n00b owner.

They have had the same problems off the ice as Buffalo has had. They even have to deal with the currencey issue.

I don't think it's quite the same. There's been no talk of folding or moving the Sens. Canada has had it with losing teams to the States too. And last I heard, the currency issue pretty much has fixed itself.

The Penguins are a better comparison, and I'd say the Sabres are in better shape than they are.

You don't become a billionaire by being stupid. I think he made a shrewd investment in the Swords. He needs them to succeed since his political aspirations are alive and well. He'll knows you have to surround yourself with the best people you can get. The thing I was wondering was, can he do better now?