Sabres salary structure

LabattBlue

The notion that no one on the Sabres can make more than Drury is a joke. If a player deserves more than he does and it is within the Sabres budget, pay them. Just because he is the captain does not mean he has to remain the highest paid player throughout that time.

Fire away...

I don't think Drury is the upper limit. However, I have a question for the "Sign McKee at all costs" lobby. Is there an upper limit on him? What if another team makes him a ridiculious offer? Wouldn't it be better to let him go in that case and spend the money on 2 quality defenseman that don't cost as much? This really reminds me a lot of last summer. The Sabres didn't overspend on Zhitnik, and instead brought in Lydman and Numinnen. What were the results?

Lydman and Tallinder were our top defensive pair. They made strong contributions all year while matched up against the other team's top line.

Numinnen had a solid year, and was a big contributer on the PP.

Would it have been nice to have Zhitnik back? Absolutely. But I think Lydman and Numminen together were more valuable then Zhitnik.

It's hard to believe that just a few weeks after the a great season, many of the fans have forgot what made this team great, the fact that it was a team. It seemed that every time a key player went down, someone stepped in to fill his role. The Sabres aren't going to be able to afford big name players. But I think if this year has taught us anything, it should be that a good team can beat star power. So while Drury's salary is not the upper limit, don't over spend on a player if it means we can't have 4 good lines, and 6 good defenseman.

I don't think Drury is the upper limit. However, I have a question for the "Sign McKee at all costs" lobby. Is there an upper limit on him? What if another team makes him a ridiculious offer? Wouldn't it be better to let him go in that case and spend the money on 2 quality defenseman that don't cost as much? This really reminds me a lot of last summer. The Sabres didn't overspend on Zhitnik, and instead brought in Lydman and Numinnen. What were the results?

Lydman and Tallinder were our top defensive pair. They made strong contributions all year while matched up against the other team's top line.

Would it have been nice to have Zhitnik back? Absolutely. But I think Lydman and Numminen together were more valuable then Zhitnik.

It's hard to believe that just a few weeks after the a great season, many of the fans have forgot what made this team great, the fact that it was a team. It seemed that every time a key player went down, someone stepped in to fill his role. The Sabres aren't going to be able to afford big name players. But I think if this year has taught us anything, it should be that a good team can beat star power. So while Drury's salary is not the upper limit, don't over spend on a player if it means we can't have 4 good lines, and 6 good defenseman.

McKee isn't the guy I'm concerned about as I don't think he warrants a 3+ million salary. Briere on the other hand...

When it's a goal to roll 4 lines, you have to have some kind of self-imposed cap structure. If the average salary for the 20 players is 2 million a year, that's 40 million, 4 million less than the cap, and probably 4 million more than the Sabres want to spend.

But that's just one way to build a team. They could break the bank on 'star' players, eat up $15 - $20 million on four or five guys, and then replace guys like Connolly, Afineginov, Kotalik, and Campbell with players on their rookie contracts.

SC -- Well, he did have the goalie down and out and nothing but net staring at him. It would have been a great shot, but that's why he's paid the, uh, big bucks. Not that an early 1-0 lead would have stood up anyway against the gutsy, plucky, never say die Canes.

jad -- Do you acknowledge the possibility this is a unique situation the Sabres find themselves in? Is there an argument that after you were that close to the Cup, you relax The Plan a bit and go for it?

SC -- Well, he did have the goalie down and out and nothing but net staring at him. It would have been a great shot, but that's why he's paid the, uh, big bucks. Not that an early 1-0 lead would have stood up anyway against the gutsy, plucky, never say die Canes.

Alright I'll make it a 2 minute minor for hooking.

jad -- Do you acknowledge the possibility this is a unique situation the Sabres find themselves in? Is there an argument that after you were that close to the Cup, you relax The Plan a bit and go for it?

PA, how many players are under contract right now? Three or four with Biron signing the tender?

If they start dropping big salaries on three or four players, how are they going to fit the 10-12 remaining players under the cap?

Regier has stated he wants the payroll to be around 36 million this year. That's 8 million under the cap, which gives him room to make 3 or 4 trades during the season. Sounds like a good plan, and very similar to the Oilers and Canes cap situation at the beginning of last season.

If Darcy doesn't stick to the plan, there's no way he's going to be able to spread 7 million dollars in extra payroll over the majority of players he wants to return.

The only way to keep this team relatively in tact for another run is to play hardball.

You're starting to pull figures out of mid-air ($36 million payroll, Miller wants $4 million), so for me it seems like this discussion has reached a good ending point. A very spirited debate with some good points on both sides, if I do say so. It won't be long before I revisit this topic, I'm sure. When more details come out, it will all start to make more sense.

I think there are 2 very different theories on how to build a successful team. I think many of us have bought into the theory that was successful last year. IMHO teams that don't adopt a similar theory are going to find themselves left behind pretty quick. Teams that spend money on name players are going to be lacking the quality in their 3rd and 4th lines that the Sabres have, and it will show.

Teams that spend money on name players are going to be lacking the quality in their 3rd and 4th lines that the Sabres have, and it will show.

Exactly right. You can pay a player 7 million per year but you will sacrifice depth.

That player goes down - and the season is washed. In this style of NHL it is more

important to have 4 solid lines and 6 solid blueliners than 3 marquee players making

20 million combined.

I guess I will handle this, PASAbresfan seems to have his hands full, I'll come in to help him out

Of course there is an upper limit on what to sign McKee for, and I'm sure PASabres fan and Myself (the only 2 posters here who see a problem with just letting McKee go) have stated in the past that we aren't talking about giving him a league maximum salary, he should be signed before he bcomes a UFA to a contract that works for both the Sabres and him. I would say that spending +/-2-3mil a year for him is atleast reasonable. Apparently that is a high priced player know. If a team steps in and offers Mckee 4+ mil a year, I say take it and run Jay, and can i borrow a couple bucks???? The problem with using the money to get 2 cheaper defencemen is weither you can get 2 that compare to Jay or are you settling for 2 lesser defencemen just because of money? If there is a cheaper alternative just as good as Jay, then it should be looked at. As for Zhitnik, I never thought he was all that great and didn't think he was worth what he was getting paid so to see him go didn't bother me and bringing in Lydman and Numminen worked out well, but I feel that atleast the Numminen move was risky and was great for the regular season, but I question now how much longer he can go with his health. He definitly is not a 82 game + the playoffs defencemen anymore.

Yes Lydman and Tallinder turned into a great defencive combination for Buffalo

Numminen definitly surprised most of us but I don't think he has a full season left anymore.

And I made my comment about Zhitnik in my above reply

No one is asking the Sabres to go out and get big name players, just keep the core of last years team together. But to say we had 6 good defencemen is a little bit much, we had about 4 good and the rest were adequate. Defence was the weak point on this team, and if Teppo decides not to come back, and McKee gets to walk, we are in a serious hole when it comes to defencemen where recently, good ones don't come too cheap.

You also go on about this being a team and how the team played together, but yet you believe its a good idea to just let a core player of the team just walk because the team doesn't want to pay him what he's worth? Thats gonna work good for team chemistry

I don't know what else to say, I think PASabres fan and I have been just spinning our wheels in these discussions cause everyone else seems to think Regier will just pull more great cheap players out of the air and Buffalo will be better then ever, What more can we say?

I guess I will handle this, PASAbresfan seems to have his hands full, I'll come in to help him out

Of course there is an upper limit on what to sign McKee for, and I'm sure PASabres fan and Myself (the only 2 posters here who see a problem with just letting McKee go) have stated in the past that we aren't talking about giving him a league maximum salary, he should be signed before he bcomes a UFA to a contract that works for both the Sabres and him. I would say that spending +/-2-3mil a year for him is atleast reasonable. Apparently that is a high priced player know. If a team steps in and offers Mckee 4+ mil a year, I say take it and run Jay, and can i borrow a couple bucks???? The problem with using the money to get 2 cheaper defencemen is weither you can get 2 that compare to Jay or are you settling for 2 lesser defencemen just because of money? If there is a cheaper alternative just as good as Jay, then it should be looked at. As for Zhitnik, I never thought he was all that great and didn't think he was worth what he was getting paid so to see him go didn't bother me and bringing in Lydman and Numminen worked out well, but I feel that atleast the Numminen move was risky and was great for the regular season, but I question now how much longer he can go with his health. He definitly is not a 82 game + the playoffs defencemen anymore.

Yes Lydman and Tallinder turned into a great defencive combination for Buffalo

Numminen definitly surprised most of us but I don't think he has a full season left anymore.

And I made my comment about Zhitnik in my above reply

No one is asking the Sabres to go out and get big name players, just keep the core of last years team together. But to say we had 6 good defencemen is a little bit much, we had about 4 good and the rest were adequate. Defence was the weak point on this team, and if Teppo decides not to come back, and McKee gets to walk, we are in a serious hole when it comes to defencemen where recently, good ones don't come too cheap.

You also go on about this being a team and how the team played together, but yet you believe its a good idea to just let a core player of the team just walk because the team doesn't want to pay him what he's worth? Thats gonna work good for team chemistry

I don't know what else to say, I think PASabres fan and I have been just spinning our wheels in these discussions cause everyone else seems to think Regier will just pull more great cheap players out of the air and Buffalo will be better then ever, What more can we say?

No one here is advocating letting McKee walk. Right now no one here knows what the Sabres have offered him, or what another team is going to offer him on the open market. I can't speak for everyone, but my opinion is McKee is a big part of this team, and we have to do everything we can to keep him around, BUT there is a limit. If you think the Sabres fans are the only ones thinking this way you are wrong. I heard a similar discussion on Hockey This Morning on XM last Friday. A Devils fan called in with the same concern about Elias. He basically said it was really important that the team sign Elias, but if the market for him is too high, it would be better for the team to spend the money in other ways.

As for your comments about Numminen, you're right, he might not be able to handle an 82 game season next year. That's why he was signed to a 1 year deal. Now management can decide if he should be re signed this year, or if it's better to spend the money on someone else.

If we don't re sign Numminen, and McKee signs somewhere else, we can still have a solid blue line. Especially considering the money that it would free up.

So Carolina signes Franz Kaberle to a 4 year 2.2 per/year for a total of 8.8 million.

I think this is a fairly good indicator of the money a top 4 defensemen will be seeing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169871&hubname=nhl

That's why I am hopeful that Buffalo will sign McKee.

He is not going to get a contract for much more than 2.5 Mil per year.

You're starting to pull figures out of mid-air ($36 million payroll, Miller wants $4 million), so for me it seems like this discussion has reached a good ending point. A very spirited debate with some good points on both sides, if I do say so. It won't be long before I revisit this topic, I'm sure. When more details come out, it will all start to make more sense.

I'm pulling numbers out of thin air? Regier has stated that he sees a 6 or 7 million increase in payroll, so that's around 36 million.

I don't think I said Miller wants 4 million. He makes about 400K right now, and will probably ask for about 3 million, which is an increase of about 2.5 million, (it is a little more than what Huet just signed for).

I think we all want to see the Sabres return their current roster next season. I believe that their lineup, when healthy, was the best in the playoffs. To accomplish that, I think Regier is going to have to play hardball with alot of free agents.

By the way, the Sabres just qualified all their RFAs. It's time to put on the foil!

I'm pulling numbers out of thin air? Regier has stated that he sees a 6 or 7 million increase in payroll, so that's around 36 million.

I don't think I said Miller wants 4 million. He makes about 400K right now, and will probably ask for about 3 million, which is an increase of about 2.5 million, (it is a little more than what Huet just signed for).

I think we all want to see the Sabres return their current roster next season. I believe that their lineup, when healthy, was the best in the playoffs. To accomplish that, I think Regier is going to have to play hardball with alot of free agents.

By the way, the Sabres just qualified all their RFAs. It's time to put on the foil!

Remember, there is one (Billy Fucillo level) HUUUUUGE difference between Ryan and Crystalball. Miller is an RFA and Huet was an UFA.

The Canadiens gave that kind of an increase to a guy that has only done it once because if they didn't all they had between the pipes was Aebischer.

Remember, there is one (Billy Fucillo level) HUUUUUGE difference between Ryan and Crystalball. Miller is an RFA and Huet was an UFA.

The Canadiens gave that kind of an increase to a guy that has only done it once because if they didn't all they had between the pipes was Aebischer.

I think if Miller went to arbitration, Huet's contract would be exhibit #1. He could also make the case that his backup goalie made 4x his salary last season, so start there and take a look at how deep he led the team into the playoffs.

I think the Sabres could make offer him a long term deal starting at $2.8 million, and go from there.

So Carolina signes Franz Kaberle to a 4 year 2.2 per/year for a total of 8.8 million.

I think this is a fairly good indicator of the money a top 4 defensemen will be seeing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169871&hubname=nhl

That's why I am hopeful that Buffalo will sign McKee.

He is not going to get a contract for much more than 2.5 Mil per year.

I have no problem keeping Jay if the salary is in that neighborhood...

I think if Miller went to arbitration, Huet's contract would be exhibit #1. He could also make the case that his backup goalie made 4x his salary last season, so start there and take a look at how deep he led the team into the playoffs.

I think the Sabres could make offer him a long term deal starting at $2.8 million, and go from there.

I think Miller is a lot more likely to end up in Lundqvist's neighborhood than in Huet's.

By your line of reasoning, Bryzgalov should expect to make over $5MM this year because that is what his backup makes.

I'm certain that Miller would like to end up with a salary similar to an UFA but I don't see it happening (yet). I expect Miller's contract to come in somewhere around $2MM/year (maybe just below that). Miller won't qualify for UFA status for 2 more years, so he doesn't hold a lot of bargaining chips right now.

I have no problem keeping Jay if the salary is in that neighborhood...

Neither will the Sabres. :)

Archived