My Game report

Corp000085

Ok, so, i convinced my friend to buy a ticket on wednesday. He's a stereotypical black male from north carolina. He's a teacher like me, likes basketball, and above all, has never seen a hockey game in his life. So, he did research on the internet and was asking me questions on wednesday and thursday morning. I was explaining the game and the thought mentality of the sabres fans he would meet...

So, let me refrase this: I came with a dude who's never seen a hockey game in his life. He was rooting for the canes, to spite me... Anyways, he was giving me crap as we roll into the arena. Well, we pull into sabres alley and he almost soiled his pants. The fans were jumping at my car, cause i was doing the "lets go buffalo" with my horn. Then a couple guys noted that he was the only black guy within 50 miles of the hockey game besides mike grier and yelled "WILLIS MCGAHEE SHOWED UP!" Then they started chanting "willis, willis" as we pulled into our spot. My friend sat in the car and was just laughing and then he said "you guys are great" and he got out and yelled "LETS GO BUFFALO!" at the top of his lungs.

So, we set up shop behind my car and we watch all the drunken stuff going down and then Promotherobot and Navybillsfan walked by... I thought i noticed PTR from the bills tailgate pictures, but they walked by and immediately recognized me. We hung out till 6:30 when we went in. I read this morning in the writeup that we were brought up for our "you can't sellout" chant. Anyways, i went to my seat and watched the 1st period. after one, i met up with my friend and he said that he was in a huge sabres section above the goal in the 300's... So i went there for the rest of the game. The atmosphere was great. Sabres fans were respectful... One canes fan in front of us was pretty obnoxios, but whatever... As for the game, i went in with a smile and i left with a smile. My thoughts on this whole thing was that anything after playing for some respectability was a gift... well, being tied with wins with the reg. season conference winners and coming within 18 minues of the stanley cup finals? i'll take that anyday of the week. They played their off, left nothing on the table, and they left the RBC center as champions in my book... silver trophy or not...

Great game, great atmosphere, it sucks that we lost, but hey, rewind to last october and ask yourself if you'd be dissapointed if they lost in game 7 of the conference finals and i dare you to say "yes".

As for my friend, well, he's now a huge sabres fan, he wants to go to a bills tailgate (he's a 49ers fan, and he's not wavering on that), he wants to go to a sabres home game with me next year, and he's now a regular on my couch for next year's center ice schedule. He was actually crying after the game... All he kept saying was that we had heart... He also mentioned how the fans drove 12 hours, got drunk like a college party, and had to drive 12 hours home, ON A WEEKDAY. This was an A+ experience for me... From the umberger hit till that final whistle was blown last night, i'll never forget what i witnessed this spring.

Here's the webshots link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/551000095RBVzLe

in the first picture, its Navybillsfan, Corp000085, and PromoTheRobot from left to right. You guys need to send me an e-mail by the way, so i can send you the jpg of the picture... corp000085@hotmail.com. The aformentioned new hockey fan is the guy in red with the sunglasses... THANK YOU SABRES!

Hell of a playoffs from a team that wasn't supposed to even make it. I've never experienced anything like it, granted I'm young, but I will never forget driving 12 hours, partying with some of the most hardcore fans anywhere and watching one of the best hockey teams I have ever seen.

CANT WAIT FOR OCTOBER!

Sweet to see so many fans there.

I was going to try to make to Edmonton to see our boys, about the same driving distance, but alas it wasn't mean to be.

I hope to one day go to a Sabres game in Buffalo. If I do, I'm on this site setting up a meet and greet so you guys can show me around!

Sweet to see so many fans there.

I was going to try to make to Edmonton to see our boys, about the same driving distance, but alas it wasn't mean to be.

I hope to one day go to a Sabres game in Buffalo. If I do, I'm on this site setting up a meet and greet so you guys can show me around!

Might be a good thing we lost. Buffalo-Raleigh = 709 miles. Buffalo-Edmonton = 2247 miles!

PTR

I have a feeling it would have been a bit more difficult to acquire tickets in Edmonton because the fans there actually care for their team. The fans in Raleigh arent even fair weather fans, give me a break what is better weather than game seven of the conference finals. I hope the oilers bury the tropical storm in 4.

I dont know if anyone else noticed at the end of the game they showed the canes mascot. It was a f-ing pig, what the hell does a pig have anything to do with a huricane.

I have a feeling it would have been a bit more difficult to acquire tickets in Edmonton because the fans there actually care for their team. The fans in Raleigh arent even fair weather fans, give me a break what is better weather than game seven of the conference finals. I hope the oilers bury the tropical storm in 4.

I dont know if anyone else noticed at the end of the game they showed the canes mascot. It was a f-ing pig, what the hell does a pig have anything to do with a huricane.

its a pig because the pig represents carolina BBQ, a delicacy that would give any basket of wings a run for its money. Done right, the pulled pork BBQ is great. I really don't want to do the research right now, but there's two different variations of the sauce, one sauce is the normal kind that we're used to... the other is a spicy vinegar sauce that's also very good. They're used exclusively in their geographic regions (i.e. western carolina BBQ, eastern carolina BBQ). I do not know which is which though. www.google.com

Ok, so, i convinced my friend to buy a ticket on wednesday. He's a stereotypical black male from north carolina. He's a teacher like me, likes basketball, and above all, has never seen a hockey game in his life. So, he did research on the internet and was asking me questions on wednesday and thursday morning. I was explaining the game and the thought mentality of the sabres fans he would meet...

So, let me refrase this: I came with a dude who's never seen a hockey game in his life. He was rooting for the canes, to spite me... Anyways, he was giving me crap as we roll into the arena. Well, we pull into sabres alley and he almost soiled his pants. The fans were jumping at my car, cause i was doing the "lets go buffalo" with my horn. Then a couple guys noted that he was the only black guy within 50 miles of the hockey game besides mike grier and yelled "WILLIS MCGAHEE SHOWED UP!" Then they started chanting "willis, willis" as we pulled into our spot. My friend sat in the car and was just laughing and then he said "you guys are great" and he got out and yelled "LETS GO BUFFALO!" at the top of his lungs.

So, we set up shop behind my car and we watch all the drunken stuff going down and then Promotherobot and Navybillsfan walked by... I thought i noticed PTR from the bills tailgate pictures, but they walked by and immediately recognized me. We hung out till 6:30 when we went in. I read this morning in the writeup that we were brought up for our "you can't sellout" chant. Anyways, i went to my seat and watched the 1st period. after one, i met up with my friend and he said that he was in a huge sabres section above the goal in the 300's... So i went there for the rest of the game. The atmosphere was great. Sabres fans were respectful... One canes fan in front of us was pretty obnoxios, but whatever... As for the game, i went in with a smile and i left with a smile. My thoughts on this whole thing was that anything after playing for some respectability was a gift... well, being tied with wins with the reg. season conference winners and coming within 18 minues of the stanley cup finals? i'll take that anyday of the week. They played their off, left nothing on the table, and they left the RBC center as champions in my book... silver trophy or not...

Great game, great atmosphere, it sucks that we lost, but hey, rewind to last october and ask yourself if you'd be dissapointed if they lost in game 7 of the conference finals and i dare you to say "yes".

As for my friend, well, he's now a huge sabres fan, he wants to go to a bills tailgate (he's a 49ers fan, and he's not wavering on that), he wants to go to a sabres home game with me next year, and he's now a regular on my couch for next year's center ice schedule. He was actually crying after the game... All he kept saying was that we had heart... He also mentioned how the fans drove 12 hours, got drunk like a college party, and had to drive 12 hours home, ON A WEEKDAY. This was an A+ experience for me... From the umberger hit till that final whistle was blown last night, i'll never forget what i witnessed this spring.

Here's the webshots link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/551000095RBVzLe

in the first picture, its Navybillsfan, Corp000085, and PromoTheRobot from left to right. You guys need to send me an e-mail by the way, so i can send you the jpg of the picture... corp000085@hotmail.com. The aformentioned new hockey fan is the guy in red with the sunglasses... THANK YOU SABRES!

tailgating rules....it is a sport in its ownright.

great story and great pics. i'm jealous i could not be down there for something like that. i need get a job as a teacher :) ha ha

Archived