Has the Adams rebuild failed completely?

dudacek

Has this rebuild already failed?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these better describes the way you feel about the team?

• Thompson/Tuch/Cozens/Quinn/Peterka/Benson/Dahlin/Power/Byram/Lukkonnen/Levi etc. can grow into the core of a regular playoff team with right additions and coaching
    • Thompson/Tuch/Cozens/Quinn/Peterka/Benson/Dahlin/Power/Byram/Lukkonnen/Levi etc. does not have what it takes to be the core of a regular playoff team and major changes have to made

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ruff will only be slightly better than Granato with the very same line-up.  Maybe that gets them in the 8th spot but I doubt it.  

That roster right now is worse without a full season of with Mitts.  That trade might have brought in the better player, but they are weak at center, and their 2 best centers are both coming off of down seasons and must get back to what Adams thought they were.  

Ruff talked about the little things - winning key faceoffs, shutting down an opponent when you get a lead, being harder to play against - all of that means they better practice harder, play smarter and grittier,  and the realization that they need to get some immediate help.  

Ruff will need to be helping with trades and FA signings.  Vet players still in there prime want to win, they are more likely to listen to Ruff's message than to Adams.  

Would be shocked if they don't bring in a veteran C via either trade or FA.  Also expect a top 6 W to be brought it.  Adams has literally been talking about adding them for 2 months now.  Maybe a change from Girgensons and Robinson as well, as Adams has talked about making that 4th line an identity line (or something to that effect) but wouldn't want to have a car payment riding on those other 2 happening.

Could very realistically see those the only NHL moves Adams makes as per people's reports on what Adams was saying to Seravalli (haven't had a chance to watch it yet personally) he's still gushing about how he likes the D and the G.  Would like to see a bolstering to both of those units as well even if it were to simply add competition for those 10 jobs, but not expecting it unless Ruff pushes really hard for those moves.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:14 PM, Weave said:

I don’t think it is a slam dunk that our core is the right core.  Legit concerns regarding Thompson and Cozens as your 1-2 center punch.

I’m not really concerned about the defense.  

Thompson is not a center. should be on wing. two years now of watching him as a center with no improvement. 

• Disagree 1

With the ascension of Appert to the NHL staff I'm really starting to lose faith in this regime.  "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" is true on so many levels with this team.  But of course, we will get fooled again.

I may just jump ship and throw support behind my local market Stars going forward.  I never thought I'd say that.  My Sabres fandom is on life support.  I'm thinking one more season before I cut bait.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

With the ascension of Appert to the NHL staff I'm really starting to lose faith in this regime.  "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" is true on so many levels with this team.  But of course, we will get fooled again.

I may just jump ship and throw support behind my local market Stars going forward.  I never thought I'd say that.  My Sabres fandom is on life support.  I'm thinking one more season before I cut bait.

Maybe I envy you, maybe I don't, but I could never switch teams. 

40 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

It’s a good indicator of how rock-bottom people feel when the hiring of an assistant coach threatens to push them over the edge.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

1 hour ago, 7+6=13 said:

Really, until very recently I would say the same thing.  To paraphrase Detroit cartoonist Dick Guindon, "Every year I want to be a Sabres fan but they won't let me."  (Guindon's original quote referred to the Lions.)

Edited by Doohickie

9 hours ago, Night Train said:

In addition to 3-4 more players with grit.  Leadership is horribly lacking. 

IMO, grit is a learned behavior at the NHL level. Yes, you need players to take leadership roles and help execute the vision, but I want the HC to be the leader.

I hope Lindy still has it in him and I imagine he does.  

GM get the players, run scouting, oversee development.  Team, take on the personality of the head coach.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s a good indicator of how rock-bottom people feel when the hiring of an assistant coach threatens to push them over the edge.

It's not about feelings. The staff is objectively rubbish. Is this where I point out what the staffs of good NHL teams look like?

35 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's not about feelings. The staff is objectively rubbish. Is this where I point out what the staffs of good NHL teams look like?

Sure, I’d appreciate that.

You guys usually make me do stuff like that myself. 😘