Question for our Canadian residents regarding player salaries and taxes.

Hank

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

it is without a doubt the nicest city in North America IF you don't factor in that housing cost

I know a family that moved back to Niagara from Vancouver because of the weather. Too much rain in Vancouver. My daughter's friend's dad that moved to Seattle said that all the homes in their neighborhood have concrete play areas in their backyards due to marshy conditions. (Thay said, they are still happier in the US vs Canada).

I've never been to Vancouver, but based on the climate data I've looked at (7C highs in the winter and 22C highs in the summer) it doesn't do it for me as a place to live... Even without it being the most expensive place to live in Canada... and despite snowboarding being my favourite pastime. I'd rather live in a small town in the BC interior with a true winter and true summer and take my chances with forest fire smoke.  I know the Vancouver ocean is a big selling point but my understanding is it's too cold to swim in. Are there pockets anywhere that are shallow enough to warm up to be comfortable in the summer? The BC interior lakes are more appealing to me. 

On paper I think Penticton, Invermere, and Nelson would be more up my alley. Closer to home here in Southern Ontario, I'd like to move to an English speaking town in Quebec in the Eastern Townships and still be driving distance away from my kids (presuming they stay in Ontario). My favourite spot in the world though is the Adirondacks, and I'd gladly move to a small town like Long Lake or Speculator if immigration were a non issue.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I know a family that moved back to Niagara from Vancouver because of the weather. Too much rain in Vancouver. My daughter's friend's dad that moved to Seattle said that all the homes in their neighborhood have concrete play areas in their backyards due to marshy conditions. (Thay said, they are still happier in the US vs Canada).

I've never been to Vancouver, but based on the climate data I've looked at (7C highs in the winter and 22C highs in the summer) it doesn't do it for me as a place to live... Even without it being the most expensive place to live in Canada... and despite snowboarding being my favourite pastime. I'd rather live in a small town in the BC interior with a true winter and true summer and take my chances with forest fire smoke.  I know the Vancouver ocean is a big selling point but my understanding is it's too cold to swim in. Are there pockets anywhere that are shallow enough to warm up to be comfortable in the summer? The BC interior lakes are more appealing to me. 

On paper I think Penticton, Invermere, and Nelson would be more up my alley. Closer to home here in Southern Ontario, I'd like to move to an English speaking town in Quebec in the Eastern Townships and still be driving distance away from my kids (presuming they stay in Ontario). My favourite spot in the world though is the Adirondacks, and I'd gladly move to a small town like Long Lake or Speculator if immigration were a non issue.

I've not been to Invermere but Penticton is quite hot in the summer. Too hot for me but if you like that sort of thing it's nice. Nelson is really nice for a visit. Real hippy town and very left leaning. Kind of a weird enclave in the middle of nowhere. Built on a mountain though. You'd have to get used to walking up a lot of slopes, much like San Francisco. Nice place though. Some great craft breweries and lots of weed shops. 

I've gotten used to the rain and don't think about it much. It's off and on all the time so you get a shower and then it's fine and then later another shower and you just sort of start to ignore it as most of the time in the day it's gentle drizzle. Not many thunderstorm downpour type things. Lots of gray skies though. I personally have grown to love the mild winters and not hot summers but as I said, everybody is different. 

You'd probably like living in Kelowna or outside it. Or for a really cool small town Smithers. Bit cold in winter but it's an awesome small town. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/28/2024 at 4:20 AM, oddoublee said:

They are not paying less taxes than 'ordinary' people. They are paying a lower rate. But they are paying more actual taxes (money). 

Regarding Tavares - he has every right to be upset. He signed a contract based on current tax law - and the government not only changed the law (which they can do) - but then went retroactive. Dangerous precedent. 

Getting top tier players was already difficult for Canadian teams - this will make it even tougher...which I didn't think was possible. 

That said, the allure of playing for Toronto will never go away....

I can't speak about Canadian laws but in the US you can't make a law and retroactively apply it. That's illegal. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I can't speak about Canadian laws but in the US you can't make a law and retroactively apply it. That's illegal. 

Pretty sure we don't retroactively apply laws either (with the exception I guess of aboriginal related land claims and reparation type things which are somewhat complicated) but we do pass laws differently with a Parliamentary process so it could be "retroactive" to the date the bill was introduced in the house to when it was actually made into "law" through the Senate and the technicality or Royal assent. 

Tax laws were already on the books, it was just that many of them were not being properly enforced. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Indiana just passed a law that was made retroactive to 1999, so yes, in some areas you can make a law that is retroactive.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:28 AM, JoeSchmoe said:

Most things aren't not cheaper anymore. Gas and booze still are... Not much else.

Inflation has been bad here in Canada, but it's been way worse south of the border. Now, everything is about the same in USD as it is in CAN, but you're paying close to a 1.40 premium on exchange. 

Last summer I was gassing up at a Stewart's Shops in a small town just outside the Adirondacks. They had a Help Wanted ad on the gas pump for an "Assistant Store Manager in Training. Salary $60-$80k / year." Seeing that was a real eye opener as to why prices have really skyrocketed down there. Places had to pay that kind of premium just to get people to work.

You're hiring management. Someone your are trusting with money. Plus $60K is what a living wage is now.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're hiring management. Someone your are trusting with money. Plus $60K is what a living wage is now.

In Canada an Assistant Manager in Training at a gas station with maybe two or three employees working at one time wouldn't be anywhere close to 60-80k. You'd likely get about 45k to start and max out at no more than 50 or 55k. 

The centrist in me wants to see everyone making a living wage, and for that area north of Utica, $60-80k would be an excellent salary. My only complaint is things haven't kept up in Canada, and now travelling to the US is becoming more and more unaffordable.