Should the Sabres hire an experienced GM and HC this offseason?

Jerry Jabber

40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Was that you calling Sal on WGR this morning?

So if you favor a new regime, no doubt you are in favor of clearing out the roster? After all, no new regime wants to get stuck with players they didn't draft. I'm sure we can get some nice draft picks with out roster. I have to imagine Tage, Dahlin, JJP, and Quinn will all blossom on new teams. Of course we might keep Benson.

Then we'll have to stop winning so we get the best possible draft position. After all you want the be in the best position for your rebuild. But we won't call it a tank. 😉

And you have to give this new regime at least two years, right? If they don't make the playoffs in two years, then we'll just have to clear house again

Don't you love that new regime smell?

Yes, that was me. How have you been?

I’m not the type that feels you need to fire everyone every 2-3 years. I’m just looking at the overall picture. The team has regressed significantly this year. IMO, not signing a veteran goalie in the offseason and starting Levi in Buffalo (instead of Rochester) were huge mistakes. Also, Adams only signed lower level talent this offseason and no one to help the Sabres take the next step. Adams inexperience is costing the team (again!) Even Paul Hamilton talked about how Adams inexperience has hurt the team this past offseason after the segment I called into.

Edited by Jerry Jabber
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Yes, that was me. How have you been?

I’m not the type that feels you need to fire everyone every 2-3 years. I’m just looking at the overall picture. The team has regressed significantly this year. IMO, not signing a veteran goalie in the offseason and starting Levi in Buffalo (instead of Rochester) were huge mistakes. Also, Adams only signed lower level talent this offseason and no one to help the Sabres take the next step. Adams inexperience is costing the team (again!) Even Paul Hamilton talked about how Adams inexperience has hurt the team this past offseason after the segment I called into.

I don't take everything Paul Hamilton says seriously.  Let's discuss this team, shall we?

Goaltending: Half the NHL wants goaltending. Most of the names we tossed around during the offseason weren't moved or are playing worse than what we have now. (Antii Raanta, anyone?)

Team regression: Anyone recall how I used to rant about how awful Rasmus Dahlin was, and how I couldn't understand how a #1 pick could suck so bad? And everyone here told me to relax? Well Rasmus turned out okay, didn't he? So what we are seeing now is an entire team of young players (except maybe JJP) having a slump. Guys who were our bedrock last year are not playing at that level now. Will they pull out eventually? I hope so.

Free Agency: I don't think Kevyn Adams talks about players wanting to play in Buffalo for giggles. I think it's a real issue. Does winning fix that? Maybe a bit, but not for everyone. Sabres were the up-and-coming darlings last year. You'd think that would have gotten us some free agents, no?

As I posted elsewhere, if you want to clean house now, you are essentially saying give me 3 more years (minimum) of playoff drought. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Disagree 1

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't take everything Paul Hamilton says seriously.  Let's discuss this team, shall we?

Goaltending: Half the NHL wants goaltending. Most of the names we tossed around during the offseason weren't moved or are playing worse than what we have now. (Antii Raanta, anyone?)

Team regression: Anyone recall how I used to rant about how awful Rasmus Dahlin was, and how I couldn't understand how a #1 pick could suck so bad? And everyone here told me to relax? Well Rasmus turned out okay, didn't he? So what we are seeing now is an entire team of young players (except maybe JJP) having a slump. Guys who were our bedrock last year are not playing at that level now. Will they pull out eventually? I hope so.

Free Agency: I don't think Kevyn Adams talks about players wanting to play in Buffalo for giggles. I think it's a real issue. Does winning fix that? Maybe a bit, but not for everyone. Sabres were the up-and-coming darlings last year. You'd think that would have gotten us some free agents, no?

As I posted elsewhere, if you want to clean house now, you are essentially saying give me 3 more years (minimum) of playoff drought. 

I disagree about starting over new will automatically spell 3 years or more with no playoffs. Getting a good GM/coach to weed out the players that aren’t cutting it would be a good start. One thing I miss about Lindy Ruff was that he would bench players he thought were slacking…there’s no way DG would do that, he wants to be the players buddy. 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Oh, I know!  Let's have this conversation AGAIN!!!!!!

Yes, I know, but every year they disappoint so where do you expect the conversation to go? If the team/Pegula is making an error, and it's the same error, over and over and over again then Sabrespace has the same conversation over and over and over again and, we get it, why doesn't Pegula??????????????????

• Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Hahaha… Granato needs to drink him some Englewood Jack… Do they bottle it?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.