Savoie to Amerks on Conditioning Assignment

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

You are dead on with this. Candidly - if we have to burn both of their entry level deals to let them flip between the AHL and NHL all season...so be it. If both are showing the have NHL 'readiness' - get them out of juniors. 

I mean, if we are worried about only having Benson locked up until age 26 versus 27 as an RFA...that is a bit misguided. 

It's also a question of roster spots.  What do you do with Jost or Olofsson if you're carrying Benson and Savoie?  Or do you waive one of the goalies?  They're basically juggling the roster based on injuries as it is but at some point the injury music (hopefully) stops playing and everyone has to find a chair.

And you can't just play Benson and Savoie in the AHL.  Savoie is only there because he is on a conditioning assignment.  After a couple weeks in ROC he needs to either move up to the NHL or back to the WHL; he can't stay in the AHL beyond that.  And unless Benson gets injured he can't to to the AHL at all.

I haven't seen enough from Benson to warrant keeping him around after 9 games. I notice him more often than not when he's taking bad penalties or getting out-muscled instead of positively contributing to the team. I imagine that once Savoie's conditioning stint is over they'll bring him back to the Sabres and send Benson back down. With Comrie on IR maybe they keep both around while that last spot is available. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's also a question of roster spots.  What do you do with Jost or Olofsson if you're carrying Benson and Savoie?  Or do you waive one of the goalies?  They're basically juggling the roster based on injuries as it is but at some point the injury music (hopefully) stops playing and everyone has to find a chair.

And you can't just play Benson and Savoie in the AHL.  Savoie is only there because he is on a conditioning assignment.  After a couple weeks in ROC he needs to either move up to the NHL or back to the WHL; he can't stay in the AHL beyond that.  And unless Benson gets injured he can't to to the AHL at all.

OK, I was under the impression they could play in the AHL, but it burns a year of their entry level contract (same as NHL play). I thought that is why teams loathe to do it - if they are not getting NHL time, they don't want to burn it. 

Assuming you are correct ( and I don't see why you wouldn't be), that complicates things. I am not sold Benson is better in the lineup than Jost right now...and need to see Savoie with some NHL minutes...

54 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

OK, I was under the impression they could play in the AHL, but it burns a year of their entry level contract (same as NHL play). I thought that is why teams loathe to do it - if they are not getting NHL time, they don't want to burn it. 

Assuming you are correct ( and I don't see why you wouldn't be), that complicates things. I am not sold Benson is better in the lineup than Jost right now...and need to see Savoie with some NHL minutes...

The AHL time doesn’t actually burn a year of the contract for the guys who do get to start down there. Kulich was there last year at 18 and the contract gets pushed back an extra year. It can actually get pushed back two years if they’re young enough. Nylander, Girgensens, we’ve done it a bunch of times over the years. 

7 hours ago, oddoublee said:

True.   We have not seen Savoie since camp so no way should he get a roster spot in the NHL.  A conditioning stint in Roch is perfect for him.  Then he can get  9 games in Buffalo without effecting the ELC.   If he makes the case to stay he stays, otherwise he goes back to juniors. 

Benson is working on his 9 game tryout right now.  He is in the same boat - earn the spot.    I would say he looks good at times but I would not say that he contributed more than Jost did against the Avs.  Benson played about 4 more minutes but Jost potted a goal.   Benson certainly has a much higher ceiling than Jost but we are trying to win right now.  

Sending the 18 year old and 170 pound Benson back to juniors is not going to hurt him. 

We also have a few nice prospects that are lighting it up in the AHL.  They will probably get a look as the season progresses.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.