Matthew Savoie highlights, with guest star Zach Benson

LGR4GM

42 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

6:44

"Benson, he'll be a top 5 pick"

Here's a quote for you

Small, and I think we’ve gotten around looking that as too much of an issue, but it is an issue. I really like how he works, how he plays when tested. But will he be able to do it against pros?” - Western Conference scout, May 2023

The theory here is that Benson won't be able to do things against pros because he isn't taller/bigger. Now obviously Tuch driving at you, shoulder down, is going to get further than Jeff Skinner if he made the same power type move, but what I think scouts forget is that size matters when it does but it doesn't always. Sure Benson will  have issues with guys leaning on him, having longer reach (more on that in a moment), and using power skating moves. The thing is, his game isn't built on that just like Skinner's isn't the same as Tuch's. JJP is built more in that vain where he attacks at players and uses speed and strength, it is why JJP had a little trouble last year but was better in the WC. Benson though doesn't use this method. Yes his skating needs improvement, but he uses fakes, stickhandles, direction changes (he has good edges), and passing to get what he needs. The longer reach of opponents he uses against them, he get's them to reach and then there is a big triangle under their stick that he can move pucks through or cut across their hands. He is just so clever in how he uses his advantages and lures ppl in by flashing his disadvantages. He needs to get stronger, but it isn't about the size of the dog in most puck battles, it's about the size of the fight in the dog IMO. Should be fun to see him adapt. I personally think he was in the top 5 for this class and I think is several other classes, he could have been a 1st overall. This is a guy that if he measured 5'11" instead of 5'10", would not have been available at 7 let alone 13. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's a quote for you

The theory here is that Benson won't be able to do things against pros because he isn't taller/bigger. Now obviously Tuch driving at you, shoulder down, is going to get further than Jeff Skinner if he made the same power type move, but what I think scouts forget is that size matters when it does but it doesn't always. Sure Benson will  have issues with guys leaning on him, having longer reach (more on that in a moment), and using power skating moves. The thing is, his game isn't built on that just like Skinner's isn't the same as Tuch's. JJP is built more in that vain where he attacks at players and uses speed and strength, it is why JJP had a little trouble last year but was better in the WC. Benson though doesn't use this method. Yes his skating needs improvement, but he uses fakes, stickhandles, direction changes (he has good edges), and passing to get what he needs. The longer reach of opponents he uses against them, he get's them to reach and then there is a big triangle under their stick that he can move pucks through or cut across their hands. He is just so clever in how he uses his advantages and lures ppl in by flashing his disadvantages. He needs to get stronger, but it isn't about the size of the dog in most puck battles, it's about the size of the fight in the dog IMO. Should be fun to see him adapt. I personally think he was in the top 5 for this class and I think is several other classes, he could have been a 1st overall. This is a guy that if he measured 5'11" instead of 5'10", would not have been available at 7 let alone 13. 

Excellent info and report LG. I really do admire your attention to detail in your scouting reports. Thank you for that.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Excellent info and report LG. I really do admire your attention to detail in your scouting reports. Thank you for that.

It is strange because I watched a bunch of Benson and never in my brain did I think he would slide until we were about a week out from the draft and everyone was talking about him sliding. I just didn't even think I should write anything about him because he wasn't going to be available. I've learned a lot on scouting from watching video breakdowns and reading reports, then seeing how some scouts and reports are better than others. Learning what skills translate well versus the ones that work in jr but not AHL or NHL hockey. I make mistakes just like everyone but some of these players just look and produce at the levels you want. Benson is a year or probably two away from making an NHL impact, but I think and hope we look back on this draft with a fondness for how we got Benson at 13. Time will tell. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

Honestly, does anyone think the Sabres ever make the high skill line of:

Benson - Krebs - Savoie?

Or is that line too small to succeed in the NHL? 

is there a current comparable? Or even a past comparable?

I think:  Benson-Savoie-Wahlberg or Wahlberg-Savoie-Benson

Could  be a great line in a few years.

Wahlberg adding the size and muscle to compliment the all world skills and chemistry of Savoie-Benson. Wahlberg has the skating to play with those two as well. 

Sabres will have some great forward options over the next several years.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

Honestly, does anyone think the Sabres ever make the high skill line of:

Benson - Krebs - Savoie?

Or is that line too small to succeed in the NHL? 

is there a current comparable? Or even a past comparable?

I can envision Cozens centering between Benson and Savoie. Adds size, but preserves complimentary speed, skill, and grit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.