Breaking down Don Granato's system

LGR4GM

This came up in another thread about freedom and having a system or not etc...

We have the Defensive Zone, Neutral Zone, and Offensive Zone. How does Granato's system work in all three?

I will say that there is a set breakout in the defensive zone. Typically once a player wins a puck in the corner they have 3 options. 1, chip up the wall. 2, a forward typically comes back into the center of the zone between the faceoff dots for a middle ice pass. 3, a defender will drop to the goal for a behind the net pass. Once the option is chosen the forwards or defenders attack up ice in numbers. I think option 2 is the preferred option as it allows the far side defender to also attack up ice and provide a pass for the forward who just got the puck in the middle of the zone. The middle of the zone player with the puck can pressure right, left or center helping to spread out the defense and enter the zone with control.

Unless heavy forecheck then especially if the wall and middle of ice is taken away... Sabres do adjust but I would like to see them id that a bit faster reverse the puck more and do more high flips with a player going up ice.. just try a few more home run pucks to loosen up the forecheck.  They started doing that more toward end of the season... With their team speed youd think they could take advantage of teams pressing.

31 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Unless heavy forecheck then especially if the wall and middle of ice is taken away... Sabres do adjust but I would like to see them id that a bit faster reverse the puck more and do more high flips with a player going up ice.. just try a few more home run pucks to loosen up the forecheck.  They started doing that more toward end of the season... With their team speed youd think they could take advantage of teams pressing.

If only Simone Biles could skate.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This came up in another thread about freedom and having a system or not etc...

We have the Defensive Zone, Neutral Zone, and Offensive Zone. How does Granato's system work in all three?

I will say that there is a set breakout in the defensive zone. Typically once a player wins a puck in the corner they have 3 options. 1, chip up the wall. 2, a forward typically comes back into the center of the zone between the faceoff dots for a middle ice pass. 3, a defender will drop to the goal for a behind the net pass. Once the option is chosen the forwards or defenders attack up ice in numbers. I think option 2 is the preferred option as it allows the far side defender to also attack up ice and provide a pass for the forward who just got the puck in the middle of the zone. The middle of the zone player with the puck can pressure right, left or center helping to spread out the defense and enter the zone with control.

The Sabres have been so much better at getting out of their own end than they were for the last many years it was a joy to watch most times. 

Every once in a while they get a little too fancy or don't get the puck out but on balance they are really good at getting it out and getting into transition.

Edited by matter2003

Biggest change, if I remember correctly, was they started to use the stretch pass in the same way Toronto does. Not to perfection yet, but improved. 

The D moves the puck well and they did make good passes through center ice, the biggest missing aspect imo was a failure to use the drop pass after entering the offensive zone. Too many times tried to take it behind the net or force the play forward rather than carrying it in and dropping it back to a D man moving up behind. maybe a confidence thing for young players as you screw up that play and you're giving it to them for a quick counter. 

Considering we now have several offensively capable D men it's play that needs to be developed and used more. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.