Shopping Jack Eichel: Los Angeles

dudacek

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the most likely career for Quinn is Jason Pominville. He’s a guy who will set them up, finish them and stop them, and a guy who play when you’re up a man and down a man and when you pull are up a goal and down a goal. He will be a guy teammates respect and coaches lean on. He won’t dazzle you, but he will always show up.

I think it’s ironic that @Thorny is such a big fan of Pommers yet lukewarm on Quinn.

Insert Jack Nicholson evil grin gif here.

I find the anti-hype for this guy - almost certainly the highest potential winger we’ve drafted since Thomas Vanek - remarkable.

I’m not lukewarm on Quinn - I’ve always said I’m lukewarm on Quinn-at-8. But at some point draft position becomes irrelevant. 

If I have a particular fondness for Pominville it’s due to memory association with the best Sabres times of my life so far 

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the most likely career for Quinn is Jason Pominville. He’s a guy who will set them up, finish them and stop them, and a guy who play when you’re up a man and down a man and when you pull are up a goal and down a goal. He will be a guy teammates respect and coaches lean on. He won’t dazzle you, but he will always show up.

I think it’s ironic that @Thorny is such a big fan of Pommers yet lukewarm on Quinn.

Insert Jack Nicholson evil grin gif here.

I find the anti-hype for this guy - almost certainly the highest potential winger we’ve drafted since Thomas Vanek - remarkable.

It’s not anti hype. I just don’t think he’s going to be Mark Stone. Pominville was a great comparison. Where was Jason drafted? 

That’s not to say you should expect that kind of talent in round 2. Just that I don’t think that thinking “top 10 player in the league” is out of reach is anti hype. 

Vanek wasn’t top 10. 

Edited by Thorny

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m not lukewarm on Quinn - I’ve always said I’m lukewarm on Quinn-at-8. But at some point draft position becomes irrelevant. 

If I have a particular fondness for Pominville it’s due to memory association with the best Sabres times of my life so far 

It’s not anti hype. I just don’t think he’s going to be Mark Stone. Pominville was a great comparison. Where was Jason drafted? 

That’s not to say you should expect that kind of talent in round 2. Just that I don’t think that thinking “top 10 player in the league” is out of reach is anti hype. 

Vanek wasn’t top 10. 

When I talk about anti-hype, I’m talking about the conversation surrounding him.

“???, I love that guy, he’s going to be a good one” I’ve read people saying things like that all the time about Cozens, Dahlin, Mitts, Eichel, Zadorov, Risto, Bailey, Lukkonnen, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Kassian, McNabb, Ennis, Foligno, Guhle, Borgen, Luke ***** Adam…

It’s the shiny new toy, untouchable building block thing that fans fall in love with. I can’t recall ever seeing it with Quinn.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

When I talk about anti-hype, I’m talking about the conversation surrounding him.

“???, I love that guy, he’s going to be a good one” I’ve read people saying things like that all the time about Cozens, Dahlin, Mitts, Eichel, Zadorov, Risto, Bailey, Lukkonnen, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Kassian, McNabb, Ennis, Foligno, Guhle, Borgen…

It’s the shiny new toy, untouchable building block thing that fans fall in love with. I can’t recall ever seeing it with Quinn.

Well you can't see it because you've become the Matrix 

(wait, you no longer have the Jack Quinn booster in your profile haha)

Edited by Thorny

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“???, I love that guy, he’s going to be a good one” I’ve read people saying things like that all the time about Cozens, Dahlin, Mitts, Eichel, Zadorov, Risto, Bailey, Lukkonnen, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Kassian, McNabb, Ennis, Foligno, Guhle, Borgen, Luke ***** Adam…

In seriousness, if I were to take a guess as to why that is: I know you are of the opinion that Quinn wasn't a reach at 8, and the numbers and views of the scouts may even back that up, a case you've laid out before, but like with that conversation I still maintain the perception of Quinn is that he was a reach - we didn't talk about him close to the amount we did some of the others. It was more of a perceived reach than any significant pick in recent Sabres memory, to my recollection - and the guys you listed above were either later picks where "reach" is used with less authority, or guys that weren't considered reaches, like Cozens, Dahlin, Mitts, Eichel, Zadorov, Risto, Girgensons, Kassian, Ennis, Foligno, etc.  Grigorenko was seen as "falling" to us, even. 

Until Quinn proves otherwise that stigma will follow him because it's the result of the lion's share of the analysis and what it was focused on, primarily, leading up to the draft. In the end, it doesn't really mater what the perception is right now, it's about results. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.