Sabres' Option: Matthew Beniers

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I've been the guy saying Power was going to go number 1 from the beginning, for the record. Because the guy said to be going 1 almost always goes 1 - that's really all there was to the argument and honestly it probably doesn't need much more. Power will very likely be the pick. But we heard a lot of talk about how Beniers was Adams guy regardless. 

Wait, what’s this about Beniers being Adams’ guy?  Did someone of repute actually say that?

On 6/3/2021 at 7:54 PM, LGR4GM said:

Beniers is a 6'1" 175lb Center. He probably just broke his ankle at the Worlds today and a lot his game is based on elite skating. 

That said here is readings on Beniers:

1) Dobber Prospects

https://dobberprospects.com/player/matthew-beniers/

2) Last Word on Sports

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/04/03/matthew-beniers-scouting-report/

3) Hockey Writers

https://thehockeywriters.com/matthew-beniers-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

4) Elite Prospects Rinkside (paid content, will post clips)

https://eprinkside.com/2021/02/12/film-room-an-examination-of-matthew-beniers-mature-two-way-game-and-what-it-offers-at-the-2021-draft

No scouching report yet, but here are highlights

Shift by shift

@LGR4GM

These threads of yours is some good sh1t, no joke. Keep it up.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

No like around this board, that was the context of the discussion I believe. 

Sorry, I wasn’t sure if you meant on the board or out in the public sphere.

Though, we do have some members of high repute!  Don’t sell us too short.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Yikes people are really  Taking that power hype in.

Went from loving beniers and now this lol 

I dislike beniers but theres no one like him in this draft 

Another thing I've spoken to is how hard it is to go against the guy most say is supposed to go 1, if you are the GM. If you are Adams and you DON'T take power, the reaction will be "WHAT?" for the most part, in general, as Power is, in general, ranked at 1 - so there will be pressure on Adams for his risk to pay off. 

If he takes Power and he doesn't live up to expectations, he will more less get a pass cause, "well, of course they had to take Power! He was the consensus guy!" Similar to the "It was always Sam vs Sam in 2014, Draisaitl wasn't a real option". True or not, the GM gets to lean on the rankings at the time, if proven wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Sorry, I wasn’t sure if you meant on the board or out in the public sphere.

Though, we do have some members of high repute!  Don’t sell us too short.

Definitely do. I learn way more here about hockey than anywhere else

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I've been the guy saying Power was going to go number 1 from the beginning, for the record. Because the guy said to be going 1 almost always goes 1 - that's really all there was to the argument and honestly it probably doesn't need much more. Power will very likely be the pick. But we heard a lot of talk about how Beniers was Adams guy regardless. 

Given the Jack Quinn pick, Adams is going to take the guy he wants without thought of anyone else.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

Given the Jack Quinn pick, Adams is going to take the guy he wants without thought of anyone else.

I generally agree, I do think thought that with the 1 pick comes added pressure to go by consenus, or the closest to consensus that exists

It's a very magnified draft position

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I generally agree, I do think thought that with the 1 pick comes added pressure to go by consenus, or the closest to consensus that exists

It's a very magnified draft position

I think the probability that the Sabres/Adams are part of that consensus is incredibly high.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think the probability that the Sabres/Adams are part of that consensus is incredibly high.

Likely, just based on the numbers. If Adams goes against him still, with the scrutiny he knows will go with it, and after Beniers just got seriously hurt (looks like), he's 

A) a brave man, respect it and, 

B) He must LOVE Beniers

...if it's even close I think the x-factors push him to Power. 

- - - 

On a side note, my darkhorse Adams pick is Kent Johnson. Just feels like a "Jack Quinn" type pick, especially considering the scouting he did would be seeing both of them at the same time, like Rossi and Quinn. I think it's very low likelihood, but for some reason it's just a hunch for me. 

I like Beniers. I think he might become a really good player and if we were picking 3rd or 4th he might be my choice, but I think Power is better and a bigger piece for any team to build off of. I am of course (if anyone still hasn't figured it out lol) a D first guy, which does make it hard to be a Sabres fan at times. 

The Bergeron comparison might be a little optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I wouldn't pick Beniers anymore unless he was shown to be fully healthy. It's the 1st overall pick. Or a top 5 if we get another. No unnecessary risk. 

I mean its just a broken ankle lol

But i'm happy if hes off the board 

monophy.gif

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I like Beniers. I think he might become a really good player and if we were picking 3rd or 4th he might be my choice, but I think Power is better and a bigger piece for any team to build off of. I am of course (if anyone still hasn't figured it out lol) a D first guy, which does make it hard to be a Sabres fan at times. 

The Bergeron comparison might be a little optimistic. 

The Bergeron comparison is definitely his absolute ceiling scenario, as is Hedman with Power. But no two players are truly alike so most of the time those NHL name drops are just a familiarity factor where you see certain elements of players you see doing it on NHL ice.

Beniers seems to get compared to Bergeron or ROR on this board and if he was to get to that level it would justify being a #1 candidate. The scouting report that caught my eye was the one comparing him to Toews at the NCAA and IIHF levels. Toews is a winner at multiple levels and has many desirable qualities for a top centreman. Crosby gets all the glory for the golden goal at the Olympics, but Toews led that team in scoring playing a third line role.

If his ceiling is Toews, Bergeron or ROR I can see taking him at #1. I’m not sure where his floor is (Danault?) that may be what brings the other guys into the conversation. His position makes him a bit more attractive than the wingers like Eklund and Guenther.

Power and Beniers are the only two candidates in my mind right now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Beniers seems to get compared to Bergeron or ROR on this board and if he was to get to that level it would justify being a #1 candidate. The scouting report that caught my eye was the one comparing him to Toews at the NCAA and IIHF levels. Toews is a winner at multiple levels and has many desirable qualities for a top centreman. Crosby gets all the glory for the golden goal at the Olympics, but Toews led that team in scoring playing a third line role.

If his ceiling is Toews, Bergeron or ROR I can see taking him at #1. I’m not sure where his floor is (Danault?) that may be what brings the other guys into the conversation. His position makes him a bit more attractive than the wingers like Eklund and Guenther.

Power and Beniers are the only two candidates in my mind right now.

Perhaps his floor would be Curtis Lazar, who was also compared to Bergeron at times.

If Beniers ends up being who the Sabres want, doesn't KA call Francis and the Kraken to trade down one pick.  Seattle agrees to take Power and leave Beniers for Buffalo. The Sabres then could also require that Seattle take player X in the expansion draft.

If your wondering why Seattle would do this, think of all the publicity Seattle would get by taking the #1 overall picking their first year.

• Like (+1) 2

No matter whom the Sabres pick none of them will be playing in Buffalo in 2022. As a result I don't think Beniers' ankle injury should be a major factor in not drafting him. To me he's the best forward in the draft and in the discussion of the best. I take him over any D-man especially ones (see Power) that are dismissed as #1 Dmen because a lack of offensive playmaking. 

53 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

If Beniers ends up being who the Sabres want, doesn't KA call Francis and the Kraken to trade down one pick.  Seattle agrees to take Power and leave Beniers for Buffalo. The Sabres then could also require that Seattle take player X in the expansion draft.

If your wondering why Seattle would do this, think of all the publicity Seattle would get by taking the #1 overall picking their first year.

No, you just take him at 1

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.