Shopping Jack Eichel: Arizona

dudacek

Will they be interested?

Yes. Arizona is on creaky ground in terms of establishing itself in the marketplace. Jack Eichel, an American stud centre, is someone they can sell to the community, someone who will inspire people to buy tickets. His presence also increases their desirability as a destination for players; right now the weather and lack of media pressure is countered by the lack of opportunity to play with good players. In short, Eichel is a centrepiece worth building around for a franchise that desperately needs one.

Do they have the pieces?

It's going to be tough to formulate an offer that makes sense for both sides. Coyotes general manager Bill Armstrong is thoroughly hampered in his building plans by a pipeline pillaged by ill-advised trades for Kessel and Hall, along with John Chayka's cheating — they lack both picks and prospects, especially ones that might work as a centrepiece in an Eichel deal. They do, however, have an interesting selection of young NHL roster players (Garland, Keller, Chychrun, Dvorak, Schmaltz) and a sprinkling of veterans (OEL, Kuemper) that could help the Sabres short-term under the right circumstances.

Would this work?

Chychrun, Keller, Crouse, Hayton, for Eichel and Ristolainen.

I can't see any deal with the Coyotes that doesn't include Chychrun, even though I'm not sure they move him given the hole that creates on their blueline. Good contract, great production, the right age, and a skill set that fills a need for the Sabres. Garland, Dvorak or Schmaltz could easily be substituted for Keller. I think the Coyotes would most likely want to move Keller because of his contract. I also think from the Sabres perspective, he is the most skilled of the group. Crouse is a bottom-sixer who gives the Sabres what they've lacked since Foligno was traded. Hayton is a huge question mark, but is a 5th-overall pick and the best fit for the "futures" portion of the deal.

Is there a deal to be made with the Coyotes?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

I could see Arizona really wanting to make a deal. They might envision a new marketing scheme based on an American superstar (they still probably resent Toronto winning that lottery for Matthews). Not sure they'd give up all their young players though. Eichel wouldn't want a full rebuild either. More likely they'd offer future draft picks so not sure we'd want that. Fan base certainly wouldn't. 

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I don’t think it matters what Jack wants at this point. This is the dangerous game he’s playing. He can be traded to anyone.

True, but Arizona will know that Eichel wants to win, so they can’t really trade away a bunch of their “now” assets (good players) and expect to accomplish that.  It doesn’t make a lot of sense to go out and make a big trade for a star player if you know that he is immediately going to be unhappy to be on your team.

Edited by Curt

It took six years of embarrassing ineptitude and a medical dispute for Jack to get sick of Buffalo, and he hasn’t even asked for a trade yet.

Not sure why people think Jack is going to make a stink about where he ends up.

And I highly doubt “he might not like it here” is high on BillArmstrong’s list of reasons to make trades. If he thinks it makes his team better - or his owner does - he pulls the trigger.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

A trade to Arizona makes no sense, they don’t have enough assets to part with.  If we have trade Jack, I want it to be to a team out west.  Don’t need to see him anymore.  

From the keep him out-of-sight perspective, Arizona is the ideal destination.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

A trade to Arizona makes no sense, they don’t have enough assets to part with.  If we have trade Jack, I want it to be to a team out west.  Don’t need to see him anymore.  

No offense, this is a loser's mentality. We'll trade Jack to try and get better, but he'll destroy us if he's in our conference. Do we never make the final in this scenario?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No offense, this is a loser's mentality. We'll trade Jack to try and get better, but he'll destroy us if he's in our conference. Do we never make the final in this scenario?

Loser mentality or a sound decision?  

I supposed if a team in our division or conference makes a great offer than anything can happen.  All things being equal you try to not  make your division teams stronger.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.