Dahlin, is he good or bad?

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I’m kind of in disbelief that it was you who started this thread.  Not sure how great he’ll ever be as the league is really transitioning to a speed game, which he lands squarely at average.  He does have unparalleled skills, which when used properly, make him a difference maker. He just needs to work on decision making.  I attribute much of his follies to Ralph, who tried turning a Ferrari into a Peter-built.  

Don't tell anyone, but I'm shockingly level headed about players. Just doesn't come out that way around here. 

I think Dahlin under Granato can be very special. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Curt said:

Jack played his best season of hockey under Krueger.

Very true

10 hours ago, jad1 said:

Shows you what a great player Eichel is.  He was able to excel under the worst coach (and GM) in franchise history.

And I agree with this. I'm open to the possibility that Krueger wasn't as much of a detriment to Eichel than others, but given what we know about Krueger, I highly doubt he was maximizing Jack Eichel, the idea that there is *still* more to that Eichel iceberg is pretty intriguing. It gives me so much pause in considering dealing him. 

A lot of the reason Jack had his best year under Ralph is probably because it just happened to line up with the season you often see the development of star players begin to skyrocket. 

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Krueger encouraged Jack to play the way Jack wanted to play, when Jack wanted to play, with who Jack wanted to play with. His success last year did not come in spite of Krueger.

I think that’s debatable. If a player was always correct in those things, we wouldn’t need coaches 

Jack was exceptional last season but we can’t rule out he’d be even better away from what amounted to a terrible coach. He was probably less affected than other players though as Krueger gave him free reign pretty much. But he did more less the same with Hall and we saw how that turned out 

Jack is a 10% career shooter.  Under RK’s first year, Jack shot a career best 15.9%.  His career best prior was 10.2%.  This wasn't coaching it was puck luck.  This past season Jack crumbled to 3.3%.  

Jack’s career year (and VO’s fine rookie campaign) helped disguise the negative affect RK had on most of the other forwards.  Sheary, Erod, Vesey, Skinner, and KO all had career worst seasons.  Even Samson fell 15 points.  The only thing that kept Sam nearly on track was also a career high 15.2% shooting % that season.

RK should get no kudos for Jack’s career other then being behind the bench when it happened.  Now imagine what Jack could have done with a competent coach behind the bench.

As to Dahlin.  He is a great player searching for the right coach and D partner.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.