Are Leafs Cups legit?

deluca67

They talked about this on WGR. I think it has merit.

The Leafs have not won a Cup since the 'Original Six'. Shouldn't every Cup won during the 'Original Six' time be considered more like a Division Championship? Are they the last of the 6 to win one? I can't remember if Chicago has won one since. :)

You could make the argument that Original Six hockey was a lot tougher talent-wise. You were playing the best of the best in those days. Can you have a league of 30 teams and NOT be diluted?

PTR

That's an interesting argument. I think the talent level across 30 teams is about what it was across 21 teams in the mid-80s, because Eastern Europeans are now in the NHL (and weren't then). But the talent level across 30 teams today might well be lesser than across a 6-team league back then.

I think the Erupoeans have increased the talent level of the NHL across the board.

There are other factors like travel. The Six never had to do a west coast trip. Taking trains wouldn't allow 3 games in four nights.

Plus you had what? Two rounds? Today you have to beat three teams just to get to the Finals.

They talked about this on WGR. I think it has merit.

The Leafs have not won a Cup since the 'Original Six'. Shouldn't every Cup won during the 'Original Six' time be considered more like a Division Championship? Are they the last of the 6 to win one? I can't remember if Chicago has won one since. :)

Chicago's last win was in '61, but they have made the Finals 3 times since expansion.

TO's last win was '67, and the closest they've come to the show was '93 when even a head-butting Doug Gilmour couldn't get them past Gretzky's Kings.

My 2 cents about your premise are: their SC championships are legit. But obnoxious Loaf fans can be given flack for the facts that the Championships came before the Sabres existed (heck, they came before a lot of obnoxious Laff fans existed!), the Loafs haven't sniffed the Cup since and the Sabres have been to the Finals twice (and only LOST once!), and the Sabres have won more games (14) in a single playoff year than the Loafs ever have in their entire 80+ years of existance.

There's other things to bust on obnoxious Laff fans about, but that should do for now.

DeLuca, stop listening to Mike Schopp. This is the man who said the NFL fixed the Bills' game in New Orleans. You know, to make the Saints the feel-good story of the year... Uh-huh.

You still listen to him :P

After the SB it is clear the NFL fixes games ;)

Anyway, I still think it's an interesting way of looking at things.

Of course they count, the league was awesome back then, talent wise..........If any team should have a * beside their cup wins, it is the Habs...........THey had exclusive rights to all French Canadian talent, I can't remember until what year that lasted, but talk about total BS.

Archived