Briere's UNREAL Goal

topshelfcookies

First things first, the goal that Briere scored tonight against Le Habs was flat out nasty. For those of you that might have missed it, be sure to log onto nhl.com and check out the game highlights. I think I woke up my neighbors yelling.

For the last 2 weeks, the more I see Briere play, the more I just can't help but think of how much he reminds me of our former C - Pat LaFontaine.

I know that Briere hasn't performed quite to the same level that Patty did during his years here, but man oh man...Briere's knack for getting the puck, his stickhandling down low near the net and his general stature on the ice I feel more and more closely resembles LaFontaine's play.

Looking at a comparison of their stats, Briere certainly hasn't yet come close to match LaFontaine's numbers. His production has been basically half of what LaFontaine accomplished during his prime years.

What are your thoughts?

I think he would have had double the points he has now if he hadn't had surgery and missed all those games, so it's exciting to think about what he can do in the future.

And Max is certainly on fireeee.

And Derek Roy has had a great rookie year.

And I am sooooooooo ready for the playoffs. I kind of forget they're going because it's been a while, I just expect the reg. season to end and to watch some playoff games with a half interest level.

I'm not looking forward to the churning of the stomach though, that has to have long term effects on a person.

The goal was real, and it was spectacular. But I think if I had to put a goal in a time capsule to illustrate for someone in the future how gorgeous this game can be -- yes, I'm using the word gorgeous -- I would put Timmy's goal in there. Afinogenov's spinorama on the right side, his laser pass to Lydman down low, Connolly's one-timing Lydman's pass home. Breathtaking.

Nobody was expecting anything from this team this year. However, Briere's goal sums up how this season has gone for players and fans alike: just plain: Sweet

having a team show all the experts up and then some is just sugar to an already awesome season, I can't wait for what I hope to be a long play-off run, caz this team, and city alike definetly deserve it more than any other city in the league. Play-offs 2006 ... Can't help but ponder what could lay ahead!

Going to bed....dreaming of something silver, over the heads of the ones sporting the red grey and black. Go Sabres!!!

The goal was real, and it was spectacular. But I think if I had to put a goal in a time capsule to illustrate for someone in the future how gorgeous this game can be -- yes, I'm using the word gorgeous -- I would put Timmy's goal in there. Afinogenov's spinorama on the right side, his laser pass to Lydman down low, Connolly's one-timing Lydman's pass home. Breathtaking.

It seems their passing has gotten alot better over the last couple games. After the Olympic break, their passes were horrible. Maybe they are getting back into the swing of things. Max can definitely handle the puck. Sometimes he does too much though. At the end of the second period, he gives the puck away with 10 seconds left and it created a great scoring chance for Montreal. But I will take the good with the bad cause he is quick with the puck. How many times did the TSN guys call him "Baby Bure" last night?

It seems their passing has gotten alot better over the last couple games. After the Olympic break, their passes were horrible. Maybe they are getting back into the swing of things. Max can definitely handle the puck. Sometimes he does too much though. At the end of the second period, he gives the puck away with 10 seconds left and it created a great scoring chance for Montreal. But I will take the good with the bad cause he is quick with the puck. How many times did the TSN guys call him "Baby Bure" last night?

About as many times as they pronounced his name wrong. :lol:

Two Seinfeld quotes in one post. Nice!

I would have to disagree with you that his numbers are not compareable.

Briere has 25 goals and 29 assista in 45 games.

In a full season this maps out to 46 goals and 53 assist 99 points.

Other than 1 year Pat was around the 45 goal and 50 assist mark on average.

By the way the one year he had 53 goals and 95 assist his linemate hat 79 goals. Can not say that about Briere.

I used one on purpose. Did I subconsciously use another? Where's Fushetti when you need him?

Breathtaking the other one :D Briere is one of the reasons I am not afraid of the Devils. They have only seen him once this year back in October.

I had to endure some crap this year from Devils fans, so I hope to get the last laugh in the playoffs. You know like even steven (for all you Seinfeld fans).

Hopelesly (and others) do you remember the episode where Elaine's big dumb boyfriend Puddy (or was it Buddy?) is wearing the Devils jersey and paints his face for a game and some guy thinks he's actually Satan?

I always just have naturally assumed all Devils fans were big losers like him.

Great episode though!

Hopelesly (and others) do you remember the episode where Elaine's big dumb boyfriend Puddy (or was it Buddy?) is wearing the Devils jersey and paints his face for a game and some guy thinks he's actually Satan?

I always just have naturally assumed all Devils fans were big losers like him.

Great episode though!

Wasn't the guy Elaine's priest?

I'm pretty sure you're right about the NJ fans. :lol:

Gotta support the team.

obvious, now I remember! Elaine's wannabe doctor boyfriend described the ugly mofo baby as "breathtaking," then said the same thing about Elaine! That's funny. My use of the word was unintentional. It's funny what's in the back of your brain sometimes.

Gotta support the team.

obvious, now I remember! Elaine's wannabe doctor boyfriend described the ugly mofo baby as "breathtaking," then said the same thing about Elaine! That's funny. My use of the word was unintentional. It's funny what's in the back of your brain sometimes.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Wasn't the guy Elaine's priest?

I'm pretty sure you're right about the NJ fans. :lol:

The priest was visiting from another country. That was a good episode. Puddy was banging on the boards with his face painted. Did he sport the "8-Ball" jacket with the painted face?

The priest was visiting from another country. That was a good episode. Puddy was banging on the boards with his face painted. Did he sport the "8-Ball" jacket with the painted face?

Haha, this discussion made me watch the episode last night!

The Priest was visiting from El Salvador. Unfortunately he did not have the "8-ball" jacket on. I think that may have been a later episode.

As I'm sure some other fans from NJ can attest, that Puddy is a pretty accurate representation of Devils fans!

Archived