Is Rick on notice?

PASabreFan

I think RJ has too much pride to stick around if he gets that bad. Unless, of course, he becomes too senile to recognize it. Dunleavy has gotten better, but he's still not RJ. 

RJ is good for Buffalo fans because Buffalo is a sports town and knows their stuff. He might not be good in other cities where hockey isn't as prevalent and fans aren't as informed. That being said, he can still sound confused sometimes and most fans won't care. 

As much as I don't like Dunleavy, in his defense, it can take a long time for a commentator to develop. For the longest time I couldn't stand Goldy for the Panthers, but he got much better over the years. To the point where where's called hockey games at the last three Winter Games. 

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

No, he won't have the job as long as he wants it. He'll have it as long as he can stay at least at the level he's at. That's exactly what the Sabres' brass was saying. But, yes, let's live in a world where words have no meaning.

Anywho... he sounds pretty good so far.

From speaking with Rick and people close to him he has no desire to go until his vocal cords are rotting.

16 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I love RJ, but there are times where it sounds like he's confused as to why something was called the way it was on the ice.     They show a replay and it looks obvious, but he just sounds lost.... you get that "watching a game with my grandfather" feeling.     I have Center Ice, and find the opposing team broadcast is much much more informative and tuned in to the game/calls, so I often go that route.   And it's interesting to hear how the rest of the league perceives the Sabres.  

So do I but then we miss Rob Ray's brilliant analysis and keys to the game

18 hours ago, pi2000 said:

And it's interesting to hear how the rest of the league perceives the Sabres.  

It is.  My DirecTV auto records the Sabres, and last night it picked the Boston broadcast instead of the Sabres'.    I usually start watching 30, 40 minutes in so I can fast forward thru commercials.   I thought about changing the channel to the Sabres' cast.... but thought it would be interesting to hear that perspective.   

The Boston announcers stated, at some point in the 3rd period, after we'd seen 45, 50 minutes of poor play by the Sabres, that the Sabres bear watching as they are set up, with the new players,  to be an excellent team within 2 to 3 seasons.... and one of the announcers stated once they hit that point, they will be a solid contender for at least 5 or 6 seasons. 

So there is that.  I don't see it... but it's heartening that others do.  

52 minutes ago, ... said:

Rick was awful last night.  So was Ray.  Their interactions were...uncomfortable.

I like Rob Ray.  I think he's jovial and adds some folksiness to the broadcast.  He'd be perfect in between periods or as a third voice during a long break (kind of like an NFL sideline reporter).  He has no business being the analyst "next to" Rick.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I like Rob Ray.  I think he's jovial and adds some folksiness to the broadcast.  He'd be perfect in between periods or as a third voice during a long break (kind of like an NFL sideline reporter).  He has no business being the analyst "next to" Rick.

I don’t like Ray in his current role but I would be open to keeping him in between the benches if they added a real color guy in the booth.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

I don’t like Ray in his current role but I would be open to keeping him in between the benches if they added a real color guy in the booth.

Yes.  That would be perfect.  (It could be a color gal, too, for all I care, but I want someone who can break the game down and keep RJ on task better than Ray does.)

Edited by Eleven

Smell's mention of Rick's grandpa moments had me chuckling last night. Ristolainen was three feet from the red line and shot it in and got called for icing and Rick (Rob, too) was completely befuddled as to why it was icing. They even showed the replay and it didn't seem to help.

Edited by PASabreFan
Conjuga-she-own

The only people on notice are those insinuating RJ should be pushed out.  I don't care if he is calling games from his living room, makes up half the players names and mispronounces the other half.  Hearing Rick's play-by-play was literally the best part of most Sabre's games last season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Rick is my hero. I’ve stated that many times. I’m ready for him to go off into the sunset, though. So is his wife.

I am confused as to whether you mean:

(1) You are ready for his wife to go into the sunset;

(2) You are ready for Rick to go into his wife many times;

(3) His wife is the sunset; or

(4) His wife is your hero.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Everyone knows his wife is a Cupcake.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I know you’re being facetious but all of these are true.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.