Sabrespace Nicknames and Lexicon

GASabresIUFAN

39 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Thank you two for the history linguistic lesson. It has been very interesting! Wow!

It is very interesting.

GA really knows his stuff.  Were we differ is largely based on traditions and faith that I adhere to.  Islamic tradition states that the earliest manuscripts of the Qur'an (not in a book form, but basically on scraps of paper, wood and whatever else they could get their hands on) were written as Muhammad (PBUH) recited the revelations to his companions and very trusted scribes.  Of course, none of these are known to exist now, so that is where the faith part comes in.

These were compiled into a book form not much after Muhammad's (PBUH) death.

I salute you GA.

Edited by N S

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Thank you two for the history linguistic lesson. It has been very interesting! Wow!

1 hour ago, N S said:

It is very interesting.

GA really knows his stuff.  Were we differ is largely based on traditions and faith that I adhere to.  Islamic tradition states that the earliest manuscripts of the Qur'an (not in a book form, but basically on scraps of paper, wood and whatever else they could get their hands on) were written as Muhammad (PBUH) recited the revelations to his companions and very trusted scribes.  Of course, none of these are known to exist now, so that is where the faith part comes in.

These were compiled into a book form not much after Muhammad's (PBUH) death.

I salute you GA.

Semitic languages are interesting, as like Latin for Romance languages, Semitic languages, like Hebrew and Arabic have a common root.  However all languages change over time and the farther you get the more the source the greater the difference.  Go look at a 1930's US English dictionary if you want to see change. Also look at the decline of the use of adverbs. 

No question that the earliest Quran were primarily an oral tradition.  One story I heard as to why they eventually wrote it down was because every time some one charged with carrying on the Quran died, a copy of the Quran was lost with that person.  My understanding is that like the Council of Nicea for the Christian Bible, there was a similar gathering of early followers and they took that oral tradition and the writings they had and drafted the book we know to today.  

The Torah/Old Testament was also an oral tradition for centuries.  Like illustrated above, when I studied the Talmud as a kid we were taught that there was an assembly to codify the Bible around 500 BCE.  I also remember a story that it was first written down while the Jews were in exile in what is modern day Iraq.  Many Jewish texts are also written in Aramaic.  

NS were we differ is not in the language per se.  It is a form of Arabic, but from a linguistic point of view it's just very close to the root language.  That doesn't diminish the faith or the tradition. 

One thing I found very interesting is how little the Bible has changed over the centuries.  The Bible in the Dead Sea Scrolls are nearly word for word with the Bible in every Temple in the world today and they date to just after the assembly I mentioned earlier.  However some of the scrolls are also in Aramaic and Ashuri which is similar to Assyrian.  

NS I salute you as well. Shalom aleichem or in arabic as-salamu alaikum. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

All this is very interesting and may be a good new Club where this kind of discussion can take place so as not to take hockey related threads off their tracks.

GA,

Are you a Jewish Brother?  Or did you just show a keen interest in this subject matter?  

I wish you a heart felt Shalom / Salam / Peace.

• Like (+1) 1

And before people dismiss oral tradition as inherently flawed by people's memories, the way it basically worked was that prior to the common use of written language, a large emphasis was on memorization was the norm.  People recited things and if there was as single inaccuracy, it stuck out like a sore thumb and the errant word was corrected, in much the same way that you would correct someone who sings your favorite song wrong, or recites a line from favorite movie wrong.  So while there might be a single person in the village entrusted with memorizing ancient oral tradition, there were also many people who were familiar enough with it to keep it straight from one generation to the next.  With the emphasis on memorization, more brain resources were devoted to that than we do today.  Education stressed memorization back then much more than we do now.

When writing came into use for preserving the oral tradition, it was first thought to be very lazy- why should he need a reminder?  If it's important, it's worth memorizing!  But eventually it became accepted.  Early on though, there were more variations in written records than there were in the oral traditions because written language was still not yet standardized (and really wasn't in Western language until Colonial times when the first dictionaries were written).  The oral tradition was more reliable than the written record at first.

I think there is a similar revolution of thought going on right now:  We don't memorize.  And for many things we don't even learn (in the way that we used to).  Nowadays we simply Google.  So people in, say, the Baby Boomer generation see "kids these days" as lazy and such because they don't "know" the kinds of things that we knew when we were their age.  But with instant access to the interment, they don't *have* to know those things, they just know how to find information when it's required.  I think we're at a similar inflection point of human thought to the change that happened 2000-3000 years ago with the advent of writing.

On 7/19/2018 at 12:00 PM, Doohickie said:

And before people dismiss oral tradition as inherently flawed by people's memories, the way it basically worked was that prior to the common use of written language, a large emphasis was on memorization was the norm.  People recited things and if there was as single inaccuracy, it stuck out like a sore thumb and the errant word was corrected, in much the same way that you would correct someone who sings your favorite song wrong, or recites a line from favorite movie wrong.  So while there might be a single person in the village entrusted with memorizing ancient oral tradition, there were also many people who were familiar enough with it to keep it straight from one generation to the next.  With the emphasis on memorization, more brain resources were devoted to that than we do today.  Education stressed memorization back then much more than we do now.

When writing came into use for preserving the oral tradition, it was first thought to be very lazy- why should he need a reminder?  If it's important, it's worth memorizing!  But eventually it became accepted.  Early on though, there were more variations in written records than there were in the oral traditions because written language was still not yet standardized (and really wasn't in Western language until Colonial times when the first dictionaries were written).  The oral tradition was more reliable than the written record at first.

I think there is a similar revolution of thought going on right now:  We don't memorize.  And for many things we don't even learn (in the way that we used to).  Nowadays we simply Google.  So people in, say, the Baby Boomer generation see "kids these days" as lazy and such because they don't "know" the kinds of things that we knew when we were their age.  But with instant access to the interment, they don't *have* to know those things, they just know how to find information when it's required.  I think we're at a similar inflection point of human thought to the change that happened 2000-3000 years ago with the advent of writing.

Have to agree, the flip side is analytical ability is now at a premium.  The ability to digest what you have looked up figure out its applicability and strengths and flaws and make adjustments.  Modeling is also a very important skill set as it related to ability to analyze.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.