Dahlin's Jersey Number: #26

LGR4GM

Howeva... Rip does seem to have a knack for knowing who was a real prospect and who was struggling to make a roster.  The blue chip kids got real hockey numbers.  The fringe guys had to earn it.  And I don't think there were more than a handful of guys of Rip's career that he was wrong about.

Rip licker.

Rip Simonick.  There's the perception, right or wrong (or maybe somewhere in between) that he assigns jersey numbers with the callous disregard of a despot.  "You want 15?  15's available.  But here, take #41."  (True story... Jack wore 41 early on.)  And it gets people wrapped around the axle.  There's something about a player earning his number, but the sense is the Rip is the one who determines who's deserved their own number and who hasn't, and his criteria are not uniformly applied.

To We've's point, Eichel did get his number of choice by the time Regular Season Game 1 of his career rolled around, though. Same for Dahlin, of course. So there is something to that. 

That listicle is the dumbest thing I've read this month.

You're welcome  :w00t:

Is there a better list out there? I mean there's obviously a better list. I guess I'm asking if anyone knows of a better list and can link it. I'll scour.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.