It's Game 7. Do you want a home game?

PASabreFan

@PA : Don Cherry on CBC just now talked at some length about how playing on the roadin the playoffs can simplify things, and how playing at home can complicate them. FWIW.

Well, the old saw is that struggling teams go on the road to bond and find themselves. And you "play a solid road game" to "take the crowd out of the game." So there's that.

Fwiw (from White at WGR):

Home teams in the Stanley Cup Playoffs are 34-39 so far...

Fluky year? Or is something we've long held to be an advantage disappearing?

One of the thoughts in this thread is that you want to be at home because the fans will be going crazy. That can easily work to the advantage of a psychologically grounded road team, no? It has to be great to play in a loud building, whether they're cheering for you or not. And, really, how hard would it be to trick yourself into thinking the cheers are for you? You're pinned in your own zone and the natives are wooping it up — who's to say they're not urging you on to get out of trouble? #mindwarp #booooom

Edited by PASabreFan

Even without taking the crowd into account there's still the home ice advantage of last change and the road team having to have their stick on the ice for faceoffs.

I'd take game 7 at home.

The faceoff rule change took out that aspect of home ice advantage. Now the defending player puts his stick down first (although they seem to sometimes revert to form and the linesman is asleep).

The faceoff rule change took out that aspect of home ice advantage. Now the defending player puts his stick down first (although they seem to sometimes revert to form and the linesman is asleep).

I forgot about that. I guess the fact that I haven't watched many games over the past few seasons made it slip my mind.

That was a bad, and unnecessary, rule change.

That was a bad, and unnecessary, rule change.

The linesmen shouldn't be allowed to pump fake the drop.    When I played competitively I was laser focused on the linesman's hand when taking a draw.    The slightest jerk of his hand would be your trigger.     No around, just get them lined up, then boom drop the puck... don't stall, don't pump fake.     Just drop the damn puck.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.