kid-friendly stuff to do near the arena?

blugold43

Don't laugh, but I'm spending actual money and time to take my 10, 8, 6 year old sons to their first sabre game on 3/29.  Fortunately it is relatively little money, considering the stub hub cheap seats are down to 6$.

We're getting a room at the Marriott harbor center and looking for stuff to do near there the following day.  any ideas?  They want to have a meal at 716, but after that I'm a bit lost. Is the outdoor rink going to be open then? 

I know the area around there looks completely different and i'm excited to see all the new development.   I've not been to a Sabre home game since the goathead days. 

I think the Canalside rink will be closed by then, unfortunately. The indoor Harborcenter Rinks are right in your hotel, and they might offer public skating. That would be cool if they do. They have some bubble hockey tables right outside the rinks too. Nothing to spend a day at, but you could kill 3-4 hours watching a random practice, then playing bubble hockey, and then taking a skate yourself. 

Are your kids into history? Or at least into giant steel ships and submarines lol? The naval museum is pretty cool. I bet they would have a great time exploring the depths of the ships and sub.

That entire museum is a really short walk from your hotel.

http://buffalonavalpark.org/

It's too bad that the new Explore and More museum is just a plan at this point.

I think the naval park museum is a fine idea.

If the weather's decent (a fairly big if, I realize), you could take a trip down onto Fuhrmann Boulevard and kick around one or all of Wilkeson Park, Tifft Nature Preserve, and/or Buffalo Harbor State Park.

The State Park has a very modern and fun playground. I'd encourage you to take a look at them online -- there's plenty of information there.

If you come back in a few years the Explore N' More museum will be open! Though that doesn't really help right now. I definitely agree with EichSnipe; that museum is cool as hell.

You're right in that sweet-spot of time where its too cold for warm outdoors stuff but too warm for cold outdoor stuff, which stinks. You can always Uber/Lyft to the science museum or the zoo, they're not far from downtown. If its nice, Riverworks (also either a short drive or a pretty long walk) is a kind of neat place to grab food; they might have some stuff going on there depending on the night; bar league hockey or roller derby.

If you come back in a few years the Explore N' More museum will be open! Though that doesn't really help right now. I definitely agree with EichSnipe; that museum is cool as hell.

You're right in that sweet-spot of time where its too cold for warm outdoors stuff but too warm for cold outdoor stuff, which stinks. You can always Uber/Lyft to the science museum or the zoo, they're not far from downtown. If its nice, Riverworks (also either a short drive or a pretty long walk) is a kind of neat place to grab food; they might have some stuff going on there depending on the night; bar league hockey or roller derby.

I almost recommended Riverworks too. For some reason, I thought they had arcade games inside. But I looked on the website and couldn't find anything about it, so I thought maybe I was remembering another place. I only went there once for a UB hockey game, and I stayed outside. If they had arcade games, good food, and the chance to catch amateur hockey from the neat viewing angles, then Riverworks could work for kid-friendly fun. 

I almost recommended Riverworks too. For some reason, I thought they had arcade games inside. But I looked on the website and couldn't find anything about it, so I thought maybe I was remembering another place. I only went there once for a UB hockey game, and I stayed outside. If they had arcade games, good food, and the chance to catch amateur hockey from the neat viewing angles, then Riverworks could work for kid-friendly fun. 

Riverworks does have things like Pinball and bubble hockey. 

Riverworks does have things like Pinball and bubble hockey. 

This is correct. Not a ton, but they have some. 

guys, thanks for the input.  i will poll the group and I'm sure at least one of those options will be a hit!

hopefully we get a nice effort out of the team as well.  i can't believe i haven't lost them, as we live in flyers/pens/caps country and all their friends get to actually enjoy watching their teams play.  i must be doing something right.

Edited by blugold43

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.