Worst 10-game starts in Sabres history

PASabreFan

Worst 10-game starts in Sabres history (points)

13-14 — 3

86-87 — 4

14-15 — 4

70-71 — 5

93-94 — 5

71-72 — 6

95-96 — 6

99-00 —  6

15-16 — 6

78-79 — 7

90-91 — 7

10-11 — 7

12-13 — 7

Yep, five of the worst 13 starts in franchise history have come in this decade. October has been no treat around here. Can this edition join the Seven or Under Club?

The company is pretty exclusive — the first two awkward seasons of the franchise; seasons in which they had to fire legendary GMs Punch and Scotty early on; two of the very worst teams in NHL history; a major rebuilding year for Mucks; and a Cup final hangover team.

If you're looking for a reason to hope, a few of the teams on this Screen of Shame did recover and have fairly good seasons.

78-79 got a boost from a new coach, a former player to boot, finished with 88 points and lost in the first round to the Pens.

93-94 saw Dominik Hasek emerge on the scene to carry the Sabres to 95 points and an epic opening series against the Devils (which they lost in seven).

10-11 roared back before and after TPegs arrived in town, sizzled its way to 96 points and would have beaten the Flyers in the first round if not for that Game 6 Easter meltdown at home.

Hope? In 17-18's squad, do you see the seasoned core of a perennial 100-point team ready to turn it on? Robin Lehner about to reprise the role of Hasek in "Birth of the Dominator"? An overated, overpaid, crotch-fondling core catching lightning in a bottle and roaring back to...

Wait a second...

HOPE!

Edited by PASabreFan

I didn't get a vibe that this thread was supposed to relish in our bad start, it actually made me feel better at the time, and a lot more so now that we have had a nice 5 game stretch.

Of course not. What kind of Sabre fan ever roots for his team to lose?

It was sports journalism at its finest.

Now I shall close the thread before it's taken any more into the gutter. I will not see my baby sullied like this.