Jake McCabe--How Good Will He Be?

bob_sauve28

Since we are in a slow news time we might as well evaluate our talent. Today: Jake McCabe 

I think he can be a 3-4 d-man but not on the top pair. His offense is limited, skating a little above average and he is tough. He showed an ability to have brain farts late in the season there but that will happen with young players. Good player, but not a cornerstone of a franchise or anything. We are lucky to have him because good defenseman are hard to come by but we need better players than him.  

A good number 4 with a chance to be a good number 3 that anchors pairing 2.

I agree with this assessment.

McCabe's usage on the Sabres is a potential indicator of how far along the defense corp is over the next couple of seasons. 

On a team with a great blue-line (say, Nashville and Anaheim) I'd say McCabe is a #5.

On a typical decent to solid blueline McCabe is in the 3-4 range.

On a team with a weak blue line, McCabe is #2 defenseman...i.e. the 2016-2017 Buffalo Sabres. 

McCabe can be a solid #3 and occasionally be a #2 due to injury. He can be on the 2nd PP but I don't need him to be. Solid guy who keeps getting better. If he is a #4 on Buffalo in 2 years, well then we actually have a really solid group of defenders. 

Anaheim didn't have much of a great blue line yesterday.

True, but the 1st 4 goals were on the sieves. Three 5 holes (pretty much on wobblers all) & then setting the puck down just outside the crease & backing into the crease are all unforgivable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.