Fun SI piece from 1972 — YOU CAN'T BUFFALO THE SABRES

PASabreFan

I went hunting to see if my recollection of the 78-79 was right, that the Sabres picked things up after firing Imlach and coach Pronovost in December. They did. I found the following article by Mark Mulvoy which is a blast to read. It's the Sabres' third season and they are really taking off, along with the French Connection. Schoenfeld is a rookie and Horton is the mentor.

Coach Joe Crozier is quoted as saying he's not sure the Connection has enough toughness. In a loss at Philly (where else?) the coach had put Schoenfeld on the line, dropping Robert (the story says Schoeny played left wing, not sure if a typo). The coach even says he might consider the move on a more permanent basis, then wonders what he'd do with his defense.

https://www.si.com/vault/issue/43328/34/2

Here's another fun one, from the Montreal Gazette after Punch was fired. Holy moly, the Sabres sound like a train wreck. The rotten core before the rotten core? (Perreault, in 1979 the highest-paid player in the NHL, is called one of the most overrated players in pro sports.)

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=wH0xAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5aEFAAAAIBAJ&hl=fr&pg=6204,4704055

You kids who don't remember Schoney, he was the real deal to me. There aren't many pro players in any sport that I idolize, but as a kid only 10 when they became a franchise, and growing through my teens as a true Sabres fan, he was the real deal to me with great heart. Backed up his teammates, played hard, and could skate. Plus he'd beat the snot out of anyone who messed with his goalies or the skill guys.

You kids who don't remember Schoney, he was the real deal to me. There aren't many pro players in any sport that I idolize, but as a kid only 10 when they became a franchise, and growing through my teens as a true Sabres fan, he was the real deal to me with great heart. Backed up his teammates, played hard, and could skate. Plus he'd beat the snot out of anyone who messed with his goalies or the skill guys.

Jimmy and King Kong Korab were blast to watch in the aud. You could hear them pound the wingers along the boards.

Edited by Jacque Richard

Historians, what was the real reason they stripped Jim of the C and gave it to Gare?

Danny just talked about this on The Instigators. The new coach in 77-78, Marcel Pronovost, wanted tri-captains, but Bert wanted no part of it and I guess Schoeny's heart wasn't in it anymore. Danny said Schoeny had had a falling-out of some sort with Punch Imlach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.