Sabres PRe and Post Eichel This Season

matter2003

The differences are pretty staggering, especially from an offensive point of view:

Pre-Eichel(21 games):

#Times Sabres were shutout: 3

#Times the Sabres scored 1 goal: 9

#Times the Sabres scored 2 goals: 4

Combined games the Sabres scored 2 goals or less: 16/21(76%)

Goals per Game: 1.62

Record: 7-9-5(19 points) 74 point pace

Post-Eichel(34 games)

#Times Shutout: 0

#Times Scored 1 goal: 8

#Times scored 2 goals: 6

Combined games 2 goals or less: 14/34(41%)

Goals per Game: 3.00

Record: 16-13-5(37 points) 89 point pace

The change in offense is ridiculous....the team averages almost a goal and a half MORE with one player in the lineup??  

The differences are pretty staggering, especially from an offensive point of view:

Pre-Eichel(21 games):

#Times Sabres were shutout: 3

#Times the Sabres scored 1 goal: 9

#Times the Sabres scored 2 goals: 4

Combined games the Sabres scored 2 goals or less: 16/21(76%)

Goals per Game: 1.62

Record: 7-9-5(19 points) 74 point pace

Post-Eichel(34 games)

#Times Shutout: 0

#Times Scored 1 goal: 8

#Times scored 2 goals: 6

Combined games 2 goals or less: 14/34(41%)

Goals per Game: 3.00

Record: 16-13-5(37 points) 89 point pace

The change in offense is ridiculous....the team averages almost a goal and a half MORE with one player in the lineup??

Except it wasn't just one player, as some people tried to point out at the time: it was three of their four best forwards (Kane and ROR) and two of their top three defensemen (Kuli, Bogosian) that were out or hampered by injury and a coach who overcompensated.

I do think the three goals per over the past 10 weeks should put to rest the persistent idea that this team can't score goals.

Edited by dudacek

I do think the three goals per over the past 10 weeks should put to rest the persistent idea that this team can't score goals.

How many were even strength? Because even strength scoring has been what myself and a few others harp on. I'm sure the rates are better with Eichel, and particularly given Kane's hot streak, but it's still a big problem overall.

How many were even strength? Because even strength scoring has been what myself and a few others harp on. I'm sure the rates are better with Eichel, and particularly given Kane's hot streak, but it's still a big problem overall.

Well, we have scored 39 goals on the power play(Side Note:  Sabres now have the best powerplay in the NHL at 23.8% passing Columbus last night) and one shorthanded.  Sabres have won 6 times in OT, so we remove those 6 since its a glorified pick up hockey game 3-3.

So out of their 136 goals, 90 have been scored at even strength.  They have given up 106 goals at even strength, which leaves them with a 0.90 ratio of Even strength goals for vs Even strength goals against, which is tied for 21st in the NHL with the Boston Bruins...

This website has some pretty cool stat breakdowns:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/stats/nhl/team/ 

They played a different style with Jack out of the lineup, so scoring chances were down as well.. If you also look at goals allowed per game, BUF is giving up 1 more goal per game with him in the lineup. The lesson here is that it's a system thing, not just Jack doing all this on his own.

They played a different style with Jack out of the lineup, so scoring chances were down as well.. If you also look at goals allowed per game, BUF is giving up 1 more goal per game with him in the lineup. The lesson here is that it's a system thing, not just Jack doing all this on his own.

That is true as well, but it was ridiculous they played that style without him to begin with.  The results clearly show we are a much better team when we play offensively rather than defensively

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.