Tucker hit on Hecht

mrjsbu96

I am bracing myself for what action, if any, the league may hand down on Tucker.

Not that I don't put something like this past Tucker, but if he made it look like he was attempting to hit Hecht and b/c Hecht made a last-second deke it could be interpreted as accidental, as opposed to directly going after his knee. I know the announcers are Leaf fans, but Harry Neale would have pointed this out had it been an obvious intent to injure?

If it does get portrayed as accidental Tucker will not get anything....man, I really hate that guy. It is one thing to play on that line of dirty vs physical (I always thought Cam Neely was that guy) but Tucker always seems to cross that line. He is not a guy I would want on my team, just like I always thought of Claude Lemieux.

You have to look at intent. Tucker was ticked off about being floored by Grier. He got up looking for anyone from Buffalo -- he would have speared Rip Simonick if he had the chance. Tucker skated 40 feet to get to Hecht and stuck his left knee out to make contact, while going after Hecht's head. There's no mistaking intent to injure and delivery of injury. Really, though... what's the difference if he's suspended? Until the league gets serious about ridding the game of this garbage, it's not going to go away.

If you go to tsn.ca and register (for free) for thier site, click on the BUF-TOR game highlights video. During the video the show Tucker get clobbered by Grier, then chase down Hecht and mug him.

Does anyone else get the feeling that somehow Tucker will only get like 2 games for something like this? I personally think they should suspend him 10, and carry it over into the next season, but boy it sure wouldn't shock me if that didn't happen.

If you go to tsn.ca and register (for free) for thier site, click on the BUF-TOR game highlights video. During the video the show Tucker get clobbered by Grier, then chase down Hecht and mug him.

Does anyone else get the feeling that somehow Tucker will only get like 2 games for something like this? I personally think they should suspend him 10, and carry it over into the next season, but boy it sure wouldn't shock me if that didn't happen.

The only down side to that is we would not get to see Tucker in Buffalo on April 16th.....I think Peters fan or not, everyone will look to Andrew that night....

Thanks for the TSN link. I just watched it, although it was pretty choppy it looked like it was definitely knee on knee. He came around just hunting for anyone. You won't see him get more than a game or two (Similar to Briere). Big deal, we lose a top forward just when we are starting to get healthy and he gets a game. It is the same #%^$#! with kaparaitis. They aren't going to throw these guys out of the league. I would rather see Sundin out than Tucker. How many times does he get away with cheap shots???

You actually think he would get a game? He plays for the Leafs, one of the NHL's protected teams. Ruff will be lucky if he can convince them to give him a game.

I hope he does only get one or 2 games cause then he will be available for the 16th game. Unless Quinn decides to protect him from a serious beating by making him inactive for the game, but then I see the Sabres going after whomever they can to get their revenge, it is not going to be a pretty game, especially since this got Ruff Fired up. I watched the highlight (actually a lowlight) on TSN last night and then the interview with Ruff after the game, and I thought he was going to go after Tucker himself, or fight a reporter he was so furious. Maybe this will get the Sabres fired up for the playoffs now.

Could be that Ruff is betting on that very thing, which is why he got THAT riled up.

Don't get me wrong, there's definetely something to get riled up about, but still.

Still what? Tucker makes his living with cheap shots and he took out one of our most valuable players. If that isn't cause to get riled up then what is?

Not just that he's one of our best players. The fact that you wait and wait and wait, FINALLY get him back amidst this horrid losing streak, only to lose him again after less than a full game over a cheap shot like that.

Watch the replay. Tucker skated right past Grier, like he was scared to go after the person that put the hit on him......

I am sure that Ruff and Hecht are both frustrated and that shows in the interview. It's not just that Ruff is trying to light a fire. Here you have Hecht battling back and then this a-hole with not a prayer for the playoffs gets pissed that he was knocked on his butt fair and square and gives a cheap shot. I agree, 1 to 2 game suspension is likely and it is unlikely that Tucker will be playing when the two teams square off again.

I am obviously really mad about losing Hecht once again, I think he is one of our most valuable players....but I really think Ruff is over-reacting. There have been plenty of things to get pissed about this year. Yea, Tucker has a reputation as a cheap shot artist, and he clearly has mental "lapses" out there where he just loses it, but I don't think this was intent to blow out Jochen's knee. I have watched the video a few times and it really doesnt look like he sticks his knee out, it looks like he is just going to hit the nearest Sabre because he had his ass handed to him by Grier seconds before.

Still what? Tucker makes his living with cheap shots and he took out one of our most valuable players. If that isn't cause to get riled up then what is?

Didn't I just say there was something to get riled up about?

My only point was that Lindy usually doesn't lose his temper to the press.

Didn't I just say there was something to get riled up about?

My only point was that Lindy usually doesn't lose his temper to the press.

Yeah you did and then said "but still ", like there was no big reason to get bent out of shape. Ruff understands Hechts value to this team and to get taken out by a cheap shot would have anyone foaming at the mouth.

You have to look at intent. Tucker was ticked off about being floored by Grier. He got up looking for anyone from Buffalo -- he would have speared Rip Simonick if he had the chance. Tucker skated 40 feet to get to Hecht and stuck his left knee out to make contact, while going after Hecht's head. There's no mistaking intent to injure and delivery of injury. Really, though... what's the difference if he's suspended? Until the league gets serious about ridding the game of this garbage, it's not going to go away.

I agree. Guys like him, Marchment et. al. need to be put on a short leash and eventually removed from the game completely. If the NHL wants to be the sole dispenser of justice then dispense some justice. Period.

Colin Campbell is a joke and any future events that stem from this incident can be laid right at his feet. If it wasn't so predictable it'd be sad.

Ta,

I am obviously really mad about losing Hecht once again, I think he is one of our most valuable players....but I really think Ruff is over-reacting. There have been plenty of things to get pissed about this year. Yea, Tucker has a reputation as a cheap shot artist, and he clearly has mental "lapses" out there where he just loses it, but I don't think this was intent to blow out Jochen's knee. I have watched the video a few times and it really doesnt look like he sticks his knee out, it looks like he is just going to hit the nearest Sabre because he had his ass handed to him by Grier seconds before.

I've got to agree with Goodfella. I'm pretty upset that Jochen is out again but after watching the replay about 10 times, I don't think Tucker intentionally went for the knee. The head is another story as he was clearly leading with the elbow, but I think, as others have said, that the knee was a case of Jochen trying to avoid him. Tucker did dive when Hecht went after him though, and I'm definitely not a fan of his.

Look on the bright side. Hecht is only out 2 weeks when it could have been the season. He'll be back for the playoffs (hopefully!!).

Archived