All about sports "journalism."

Eleven

With respect to the reporters who visit this site, I'd like to start a conversation.  I don't consider sports reporting to be "journalism," but many others might, and that's ok.  I reserve that term for reporting on, you know, important stuff.  Again, others are welcome to feel differently.  

I do feel that sportswriters have a place.  Just as the movie, arts, and music critics do.  But I neither hold them to the same standards nor expect the same output that I do from news reporters.

Anyway, this GQ article piqued my interest:

http://www.gq.com/story/aj-daulerio-deadspin-brett-favre-story

Edited by Eleven

Sportswriting, and journalism in general, has devolved over the past few years into clickwhoring nonsense.  For the most part.  I don't think the world really needs anyone to go all Woodward and Bernstein on the consensual shenanigans carried on in private at ESPN, but obviously enough people do.   Every click represents income, and so it goes. 

Side note, what happened to Buzz Bissinger?  Friday Night Lights was perhaps one of the bleakest, most existentially terrifying books I've ever read.  I remember thinking that this was important, and people need to know.  He sold it into a cutesy TV show representing the complete opposite of the message of the book, and it's gotten worse from there.  Sigh. 

Sportswriting, and journalism in general, has devolved over the past few years into clickwhoring nonsense.  For the most part.  I don't think the world really needs anyone to go all Woodward and Bernstein on the consensual shenanigans carried on in private at ESPN, but obviously enough people do.   Every click represents income, and so it goes. 

Side note, what happened to Buzz Bissinger?  Friday Night Lights was perhaps one of the bleakest, most existentially terrifying books I've ever read.  I remember thinking that this was important, and people need to know.  He sold it into a cutesy TV show representing the complete opposite of the message of the book, and it's gotten worse from there.  Sigh. 

I remember Larry King covering the Odessa Permian situation when he was on radio.  Like 12-3 am radio.

When I was a kid I depended on the nightly sportscast, the morning newspaper and my subscription to the Hockey News to keep up with Sabres. I probably watched them play two or three times a year.

Now I watch every game, see the press conferences on line and get my analysis here.

It's hard for sports journalists to find a relevant spot in the modern landscape. Dirt and mud is one way they've tried, rapid fire rumour spreading is another. Personally, I'd prefer good storytelling that builds and deconstructs myths, and provides insight and understanding. But it doesn't seem to give media companies the return they are looking for.

I laugh when people blame the media for sideshows like the Vesey sweepstakes.

The media didn't create the interest. It responded to it.

Edited by dudacek

With respect to the reporters who visit this site, I'd like to start a conversation.  I don't consider sports reporting to be "journalism," but many others might, and that's ok.  I reserve that term for reporting on, you know, important stuff.  Again, others are welcome to feel differently.  

I do feel that sportswriters have a place.  Just as the movie, arts, and music critics do.  But I neither hold them to the same standards nor expect the same output that I do from news reporters.

Anyway, this GQ article piqued my interest:

http://www.gq.com/story/aj-daulerio-deadspin-brett-favre-story

Most journalism today has devolved into entertainment.  Although, sports journalism should be categorized as entertainment anyways.  Let's face it.  Sports is about diversion.

Not to say that the public doesn't get a service out of it or find it important.  They obviously do.  But it is still a diversion.

Edited by We've

When I'm driving and listening to Shoop and Bull Dog I cannot help but feel sorry for them. Maybe they don't mind, but I can't think that they do, being trapped in a situation where sports is your entire existence. It's their job to read, study, think about and come to conclusions about stuff most of us just casually follow. I might enjoy one story, but they have to totally be into it 24/7. I would hate that. My buddy says he would love that and he wakes every morning to ESPN and does a bunch of fantasy stuff so who knows perhaps they love it too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.