Auston Matthews is why it's good hockey is played in non-traditional markets

PromoTheRobot

Just saw the NBC Sports feature on him playing in Zurich. Turns out he fell in love with hockey as a child because of the Coyotes. If you look at sports like basketball and soccer, most of the world plays these sports so the best talents in the world emerge. But Hockey is so limited in it's base.

When the NHL was only 6 teams, hockey players almost always came from Canada. But since expansion the talent level has remained the same, if not increased. That's thanks to an influx of US and European players. But there are still large groups of people and wide swaths of the world were the game is unknown.

That means there are still potential superstars that never find the game. If it weren't for the Coyotes, Auston Matthews wouldn't be the #1 pick in the 2016 draft.

It's a good point.  Along the same lines they mentioned Gotisbehere who is from Florida.  He was born in 93.  The Panthers debuted around when he was born.  They made their cup run a few years afterward.  I am sure that sparked a growth in hockey interest in his market as well.

I mean.. he's not as heralded as Gotisbehere but the Flyers rookie is lighting it up right now..

It's a good point.  Along the same lines they mentioned Gotisbehere who is from Florida.  He was born in 93.  The Panthers debuted around when he was born.  They made their cup run a few years afterward.  I am sure that sparked a growth in hockey interest in his market as well.

I mean.. he's not as heralded as Gotisbehere but the Flyers rookie is lighting it up right now..

My understanding is that there's about 12 HS programs around Miami. Which is roughly 12 more than there were before the Cats opened shop.

He grew up in Connecticut, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.