almost 1/4 way through the season..

mjd1001

There are 3 things I really didn't expect so far this season.

1.  Just how much fighting is down.  The Sabres have 3 fights all year so far.  Teams like Pittsburgh, Montreal, and Detroit only have 1 fight all year. The Sabres are on a "pace" for 13 fights this year. For comparison, they had 33 last year and 36 the year before.  Go back to the mid 1990's, and they would have over 100 (or close to 100) a year.

2. Ryan O'Reilly.  Before the Sabres traded for him, I wasn't that high on him. I thought he was a 'good' player, but by no means someone I would want to pay more than 4.5 to 5 million a year for.  So far, it looks like I'm very wrong.  On pace for almost 30 goals and 40 assists, and averaging close to 22 minutes per game. He is playing really really well.

3. Sidney Crosby. This isn't a week or two slump anymore...what is going on?  On his own team, Malkin has almost double the points that Crosby has. Hes on pace for 9 goals and 37 assists. If this was 7-8 games into the year, I'd say give him time, but something is up. I haven't really seen him play alot, has anyone watched a few Pitt games...and they can comment on what he LOOKS like out there?

For anyone who wants to know where the Sabres stand with the math so far this year, they are on pace for 77 points,  187 goals for, 223 goals allowed. Last year, they finished with 54 points, 161 goals scored, 274 goals allowed.

Edited by mjd1001

I've watched three games. My eyeball analysis is that they have 1 1/2  forward lines and 1 decent defense pairing. If Crosby/Malkin/Stay Puff don't bring it, they have no chance of winning. Their PP has been really bad, pass happy and always looking for the perfect play.

Malkin has become more vocal at his displeasure of the teams successes and it seemed to have motivated the team for a win against Minnesota. But how long and how far will Malkin calling the teams play out last with wins and loses is anyone's guess.  

They are by default my second team, with Directv  I get Root Sports Pittsburgh with the Penns  and MSG plus with the Sabres as my home teams and I get all the games. Ask me again in another month I will give you a lot more. Right now is the beginning of my hockey watching season.

My quick overall assumption, take the 2014-15 Sabres and add Crosby/Malkin/ Muffin Man (hotdog boy? Inky had a great name for him). Coaching must be also on the same level. 

They have basically traded away every decent prospect and first round pick for a decade for a win now player. The Penn's are what happens when your GM is always under the assumption a proven NHL commodity is worth a prospect /draft pick no matter the win/loss ratio.

They have basically traded away every decent prospect and first round pick for a decade for a win now player. The Penn's are what happens when your GM is always under the assumption a proven NHL commodity is worth a prospect /draft pick no matter the win/loss ratio.

Heyoooo. Shot at GMTM?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.