OT - Contracting for new Sunroom

inkman

Sooooo, I finally got an estimate on redoing my sunroom after damage from ice dams this winter. A very reputable contractor who works for my father in law a bunch. The estimate is $20k. He might as well have said a million bucks. I really don't have a lot of options. No real savings, living paycheck to paycheck. I got $1200 for the damage from insurance which is long gone at this point.

Anyone recommend a contractor in the area for this sort of work. I'm not terribly handy but I'm not crippled. I could do some work on my own but I'm certain the end result won't be ideal. Any input would be appreciated.

How, um, attached, is it to your house? If you can reasonably demo it, I'd recommend just scrapping it and turning it into an outdoor patio or deck or something like that. When I was a kid we had a neighbor who did that, and it was a one day job and looked pretty good afterwards. I only suggest this because I can't imagine the variance in contractors would cover a 20k to 1.2k discrepancy. 

How, um, attached, is it to your house? If you can reasonably demo it, I'd recommend just scrapping it and turning it into an outdoor patio or deck or something like that. When I was a kid we had a neighbor who did that, and it was a one day job and looked pretty good afterwards. I only suggest this because I can't imagine the variance in contractors would cover a 20k to 1.2k discrepancy.

Yeah the roof is pretty affixed but I haven't been up there to really scope it out. Perhaps I could manage something like this.

20121020_nccustompools__275.jpg

Edited by inkman

Yeah the roof is pretty affixed but I haven't been up there to really scope it out. Perhaps I could manage something like this.

20121020_nccustompools__275.jpg

Nice. But that looks top me like a $20K shed :huh:

The dreaded aluminum and glass things. I loathe it.

I'd be inclined to tear that sucker down.  Certainly cheaper than repair/rebuild and more likely to be do it yourself friendly to a moderately handy guy.

That's exactly what my neighbor had--one day tear down. Just scrap it, you won't regret it.

I want to leave the roof and beams. See what I can work with.

Insurance?

They gave me $1200, enough to repair the water damage. I wanted to use the opportunity to redo the room. Didn't think it would cost me a nice used car.

If you can pull off something like the picture you posted, that's basically my ideal setup. Not that it's my house or anything, but I think it's worth going for.

How are you getting there on that budget? The grill and or the patio chairs equal that. The brick oven? The pavestone base? Big $ and lot o work. And a lot more re work if you don't know what you're doing.

$150-200 alone on the roof of that glorified shed.   

How are you getting there on that budget? The grill and or the patio chairs equal that. The brick oven? The pavestone base? Big $ and lot o work. And a lot more re work if you don't know what you're doing.

$150-200 alone on the roof of that glorified shed.   

Sorry for not being more clear: I was referring to the physical structure, not all of the amenities. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.