Terry Pegula: 13th Richest Owner in American Sports

26CornerBlitz

Neither would I. Then he could be a real nice guy and build us a waterfront stadium.

As rich as he is you just went through half of his wealth. I wonder if he's really cool with that. Sabres and Harbor Center are peanuts.

As rich as he is you just went through half of his wealth. I wonder if he's really cool with that. Sabres and Harbor Center are peanuts.

Yup, for the team and the arena, he had to spend about $200 million

Thats only a small part of what a waterfront stadium is going to cost, seeing as how must teams stadiums being built today are in the range of $500 million to $1.2 Billion, then throw in the fact that to buy just the Bills team, he is looking at probably a minimum of $800 million, if he isn't in a bidding war for them.

He has also said in the past that he is a big Hockey and Sabres fan, but has never come out and said he was a huge Bills fan (or that he is even a fan of Football)

Yup, for the team and the arena, he had to spend about $200 million

Thats only a small part of what a waterfront stadium is going to cost, seeing as how must teams stadiums being built today are in the range of $500 million to $1.2 Billion, then throw in the fact that to buy just the Bills team, he is looking at probably a minimum of $800 million, if he isn't in a bidding war for them.

He has also said in the past that he is a big Hockey and Sabres fan, but has never come out and said he was a huge Bills fan (or that he is even a fan of Football)

900 million on the team, 600 million on a stadium designed exactly like Seattle's. And there ya go! Whats 1.5 billion dollars between sports fans. Its not like the team is depreciating in value. If I had 3 billion I'd do it. Hell, I'd do it if I had 1.6 billion.

Pretty sure i remember reading somehwhere that he is a pretty big Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

He's also a big Penguins fan. The whole family is. So I wouldn't look much into the fandom part of it. I think he'd be willing to be part of an ownership group. If a group of former Bills materializes like all the fans wish it would then I think he'd be willing to become the head of the group. He wouldn't have to commit 100% of expenses and would become a buffalo legend. I think it'd tickle his ego a bit, which is big for rich guys.

I believe he came out and said he was a huge Sabres fan and that's why he was so emotional during his press conference and the French connection, don't ever remember hearing him being a fan of the Pens. That was also his reasoning for purchasing the sabres from Golisano. He doesn't appear to be a big football fan and can't see him being interested in purchasing the Bills unless is makes financial sense or its a last resort as part of a group to maybe save the franchise.

In previous interview she has said he would look into being part of an ownership group, but he doesn't seem enthusiastic about it

I believe he came out and said he was a huge Sabres fan and that's why he was so emotional during his press conference and the French connection, don't ever remember hearing him being a fan of the Pens. That was also his reasoning for purchasing the sabres from Golisano. He doesn't appear to be a big football fan and can't see him being interested in purchasing the Bills unless is makes financial sense or its a last resort as part of a group to maybe save the franchise.

In previous interview she has said he would look into being part of an ownership group, but he doesn't seem enthusiastic about it

Well considering all of his daughters are Pens fans... I don't think they'd get it from nowhere. He had many friends and still has many friends in the penguins organization. He claimed to have held Darcy and Lindy as idols prior to taking over as the Sabres owner (which is likely why he was stubborn when it came to them). He could've been a fan of both.

Terry coached the Olean Arrows which is under two hours from Buffalo for what it's worth.

He's also a big Penguins fan. The whole family is. So I wouldn't look much into the fandom part of it. I think he'd be willing to be part of an ownership group. If a group of former Bills materializes like all the fans wish it would then I think he'd be willing to become the head of the group. He wouldn't have to commit 100% of expenses and would become a buffalo legend. I think it'd tickle his ego a bit, which is big for rich guys.

I don't ever remember hearing that. I remember hearing stories of Pegula as a kid going on an overpass bridge with a radio just to he could listen to Buffalo sports talk. He grew up a Sabres fan.

Well considering all of his daughters are Pens fans... I don't think they'd get it from nowhere. He had many friends and still has many friends in the penguins organization. He claimed to have held Darcy and Lindy as idols prior to taking over as the Sabres owner (which is likely why he was stubborn when it came to them). He could've been a fan of both.

Terry coached the Olean Arrows which is under two hours from Buffalo for what it's worth.

His daughters getting pretty much backstage passes to the Pens for any game they wanted to since Pegula was getting all friendly with their ownership and front office, might have something to do with their love for the Pens and Crosby.

Terry Pegula coached the Olean Arrows? I guess he personally benched his son, for failing to chase down an icing call.http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/print-edition/2011/02/25/business-owner-or-fan-pegula-is-both.html?page=all

Maybe there's some readers here from Olean that can provide some additional details.

Terry Pegula coached the Olean Arrows? I guess he personally benched his son, for failing to chase down an icing call.http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/print-edition/2011/02/25/business-owner-or-fan-pegula-is-both.html?page=all

Maybe there's some readers here from Olean that can provide some additional details.

Some serious ball washing in that article.

Are you suggesting that Terrance Pegula wasn't the head coach of the Olean Arrows?

Heavens no!

None of this will change Terry! He's too good of a fan for that, right Ted?

Right, Cliff! He's my bestest friend in the whole wide world. His hearts as big as the whole sky!

I'm from olean. He was the coach. I didn't know anything about him at the time, but Chuck Pollock, my former intern advisor, was good friends with TP. He told a bunch of good stories about TP right after he purchased the team. And gave some interesting insight about his views (like the idolizing Darcy/Lindy comment I made above).

Sweet, DStebb. That reassures me about him. Chuck Pollock is an excellent reference.

Fantastic guy. If he didn't love the quiet life of Olean he'd be a nationally-known writer. He's had some big offers in his day and never wanted to leave. Was satisfied with the average salary and comfortable life. I respect him for that among other things.

Walking into the sports section of the times herald, I always had to stop and stare at the MANY AP awards he has for his writing. Not all sports.

The Sabres would have the Buffalo sports dollar market all to themselves if the Bills left. All that money that goes to the Bills now. Just saying.

PTR

Works if you only like the Sabres and dislike the Bills. But both teams get by just fine.

Archived