The Charts (2013-14 Edition) - now featuring Tank Nation

carpandean

Toronto is the lowest team we can catch, right?

Yeah, I'll have to adjust my playoff chart for the new system. The Flyers have the 8th-best record, but they get in as one of the three Metropolitan bids. Leafs are the lowest wild card team (even looking at 35 GP.)

So, through 35GP, we are actually 16 points out (Leafs had 37.)

• 3 weeks later...

A little breathing room in our conference. Maybe I should track Edmonton and Calgary, too. What's really amazing is that anyone is even close given the Sabres 7 ROW. If it weren't for Miller's 5 SO wins, nobody would be close.

I think if we win 2 of the next 3, we will pass edmonton at 46 games played.

I think if we win 2 of the next 3, we will pass edmonton at 46 games played.

Very true. There is no clear ranking of them at this point.

It would appear the sinking ship has ceased taking on water.

Or, at least, the bailing efforts have caught up (but not exceeded.)

Very true. There is no clear ranking of them at this point.

Or, at least, the bailing efforts have caught up (but not exceeded.)

I would expect us to maintain this current pace for the rest of the season. That'd put us at what, 73 points?

What sucks is that our record over the last 18 games is good. 17 points in 18 games if I'm lining dots up right. Almost a point per game would put us at just about 43-44 points on the season so far, with us just outside the playoffs at 86-88 points overall. What Nolan is doing with this club is actually pretty spectacular.

I would expect us to maintain this current pace for the rest of the season. That'd put us at what, 73 points?

What sucks is that our record over the last 18 games is good. 17 points in 18 games if I'm lining dots up right. Almost a point per game would put us at just about 43-44 points on the season so far, with us just outside the playoffs at 86-88 points overall. What Nolan is doing with this club is actually pretty spectacular.

That. Or what RR did was spectacular in its own right; much like a loose rail car in a small Quebec village.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the win last night moves the sabres to 29th place through 53 games. We're (temporarily) out of the basement.

True, Edmonton had 36 points through 53GP. However, they did rattle off three wins from there. So, the Sabres would need 4 points in the next 3 games to stay with them through 56GP. They cannot be ordered at this time (though, I would put 4 points just slightly ahead of 3 games-in-hand, in expectation, for whatever that's worth.)

They are at least 7 behind Calgary and 6 behind the Islanders (i.e., that's how far behind they would be if they won their games-in-hand.

True, Edmonton had 36 points through 53GP. However, they did rattle off three wins from there. So, the Sabres would need 4 points in the next 3 games to stay with them through 56GP. They cannot be ordered at this time (though, I would put 4 points just slightly ahead of 3 games-in-hand, in expectation, for whatever that's worth.)

They are at least 7 behind Calgary and 6 behind the Islanders (i.e., that's how far behind they would be if they won their games-in-hand.

It's temporary, but at 53, we are empirically not the worst team in the league!!! Hooray!!!

It's temporary, but at 53, we are empirically not the worst team in the league!!! Hooray!!!

Yes, but Edmonton has locked in their next three games at 2 points each, so we cannot say which team is having a worse season right now. In fact, we can't even say who is better through 54GP (a Sabres regulation loss puts Edmonton ahead due to the tiebreaker.) But, you are correct, through 53GP, the Sabres were better (if you ignore 13 ROW for Edmonton vs. 9 ROW for the Sabres.)

Edited by carpandean

Tank Nation chart added. Interesting to note that we were actually ahead of the Oilers 21 games into the season.

Looking at the seasons since the '04-'05 lockout, 29th and 30th have looked like:

2011-12: 74, 65

2010-11: 68, 62

2009-10: 74, 62

2008-09: 66, 61

2007-08: 71, 71

2006-07: 67, 56

2005-06: 58, 57

Only once (2007-08) has the 30th team finished above 65 points and only once (2005-06) has the 29th team finished below 66. So, it seemed like 65 points would be a natural line to track against. Only the Sabres and Oilers are below it, and the Oilers are getting close to it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.