GDT: Buffalo at Chicago 10-12-13 at 8:00 PM

26CornerBlitz

Again, watch other hockey games. The good teams can carry the puck and win battles. The sabres get pressured and pass immediately. This team reeks of a lack of confidence.

Yeah, Stafford is always passing the puck to someone else - like it terrifies him to take a shot. But he did get his goal for the first 10-12 games last night. LOL

I want to point out the biggest reason for this is not the defensive coverage of the defencemen, but the play of the forwards in the other end.

We spend so little time in the offensive zone that our opponent gets to spend 10 minutes in our end that they would normally spend in their own against a team that can actually forecheck and work the boards.

Another factor is our poor passing. So many of our breakouts end in the neutral zone because we don't connect.

The puck comes right back into our end for more chances.

Great post.

Maybe I'm delusional but I'm in Coach Rolston's corner. I want him to succeed. Last night I'm choosing to focus on the positive...Cody Hodgson was impressive. He smoked one off the pipe short-handed and made some terrific plays including the move and assist on the Stafford goal. The Sabres pressed the Hawks all throughout the 3rd. I don't care if it was the Hawks 3rd game in 4 days. I'm trying to take whatever positive I can...I like the forward momentum the Sabres created in dominating the Hawks in the third. Pysyk is a smart and gifted D-man and looking forward to him growing into his role and of course our goalies have been stellar this year.

I think that was the best outing of the year for the top line.

I want to point out the biggest reason for this is not the defensive coverage of the defencemen, but the play of the forwards in the other end.

We spend so little time in the offensive zone that our opponent gets to spend 10 minutes in our end that they would normally spend in their own against a team that can actually forecheck and work the boards.

Another factor is our poor passing. So many of our breakouts end in the neutral zone because we don't connect.

The puck comes right back into our end for more chances.

That seems to make sense, but everytime I've seen the zone time stat on the broadcast, it's been about even. Sabres distorting the numbers?

I'm not sure I buy that Rolston somehow became a worse coach over the offseason. I was saying down the stretch last year that the way they were gathering points was unsustainable. You can't rely on near miraculous goaltending and opportunistic scoring while getting shelled for a long period of time--the lopsided play will eventually catch up to you. We're seeing that now. I also think Freeman is spot on with his point about other teams playing down to us. It's too early in the year for that to happen now, so we're still getting A-games.

Also I think you're understating some of the changes. Sekera is better than Risto and McBain combined at this point in their careers. We're so starting from square one without Pominville, who for all of the complaints people had, was a legitimate first line winger.

I'm not saying he became a worse coach. However with the tempo of last year's lockout shortened season he said he made very few changes. I think he was in roll with it mode. This year he's had all the time to begin molding this team and it's taken a step backwards. I agree with the lopsided play. However, last year there was far more hustle from many of the same players who this year appear to be cashing it in.

I agree with you on some changes potentially being more important. The loss of Gerbe could play into things. While his production numbers were not where you want them it's hard to deny he worked harder than most players on the ice and I think that rubs off on people. I'll give you Sekera but not by much. Sekera could make some bad plays at times.. but overall yes, I think that plays into it.

However, I'm hanging my argument on the system it appears they are playing. Dropping back and letting the other team get speed into the zone is a bad choice. Not being aggressive on the forecheck. Breakout passes going to forwards who are standing still, skating AT the defenseman or are covered. These are problems the coach brings to the team.

I'm not saying he became a worse coach. However with the tempo of last year's lockout shortened season he said he made very few changes. I think he was in roll with it mode. This year he's had all the time to begin molding this team and it's taken a step backwards. I agree with the lopsided play. However, last year there was far more hustle from many of the same players who this year appear to be cashing it in.

I agree with you on some changes potentially being more important. The loss of Gerbe could play into things. While his production numbers were not where you want them it's hard to deny he worked harder than most players on the ice and I think that rubs off on people. I'll give you Sekera but not by much. Sekera could make some bad plays at times.. but overall yes, I think that plays into it.

However, I'm hanging my argument on the system it appears they are playing. Dropping back and letting the other team get speed into the zone is a bad choice. Not being aggressive on the forecheck. Breakout passes going to forwards who are standing still, skating AT the defenseman or are covered. These are problems the coach brings to the team.

I read this article on Rolston and why he won't work as an NHL coach and the more games I watch the more I see it. Maybe it is just because we are losing but there is definitely something wrong outside of our lack of talent.

I read this article on Rolston and why he won't work as an NHL coach and the more games I watch the more I see it. Maybe it is just because we are losing but there is definitely something wrong outside of our lack of talent.

Link?

I too have started to wonder whether RR is out of

his depth. LTS makes a good case.

Archived