GDT: Sabres at Columbus 11/25/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

Connally has 11 points in 11 games. What does Leino have? Last night during the toronto game the announcers were gushing about Timmy.

You missed my point: he has 0 points in 12 games where he was injured. I was making a joke about him not being in the lineup. I didn't and still don't like the Leino signing, but I was and still am happy with cutting ties with Timmy.

If TC was on the sabres he would be the 3rd leading scorer.

No, he'd be tied for 6th with Ehrhoff and Gerbe.

I was at the game last night. I'm still a bit shell-shocked. I saw what you saw on tv, only a little more expensively. We sat right behind the Sabres bench, next to a Pegula daughter. Kim and the boy child came and went, they seemed like nice folk.

Kassian reminded me of a Yeti.

Roy pouted the entire third period, banging his stick around the bench area and saying f**k a lot.

Ruff barely said a word.

No backcheck...they looked like they were sleepwalking out there.

Macintyre looked terrified at first. He settled down a bit after a while.

I still covet Nash.

Gerbe falls down a lot, and you know, I never really noticed before but last night I saw up close how much crap that kid takes on the ice. Opposing players are always smacking, pushing, shoving him around. He is easy to elbow in the face, given his size. He bounces off the ice and the players and just keeps on skating. Pretty tough little guy.

I don't have much else to say. I was kind of embarassed, as it was my Aunt's first NHL game and at one point she asked "Aren't they supposed to have some sort of puck control"?

Alot of Sabre fans at the game, a lot of empty seats. Columbus has almost given up on their team I think.

It was just bad. From start to finish, just bad. Although at one point, I believe at the start of the second, the Sabres had a little jump, we started to get excited, like..."this is it, they woke up"! but it only lasted about two minutes, then they fell asleep again.

LOL!

Pegula kept Ruff and Regier which outweighs any other decisions he has made. The easy part is writing checks and going over paint samples and swatches.

Pegula brought in Ted Black which has been widely accepted as a great move. I have to wonder if it is. If Black was such a great hire why didn't Black recognize what a bad idea it was bringing Regier and Ruff back?

The easy part is writing checks? That's the easy part? Does that include when the checks total hundreds of millions of dollars and represent commitments of 10+ years? <_<

The easy thing to do would have been to fire Ruff and Regier and just hire whoever to replace them and call it a fresh start. That's exactly what the team in Orchard Park does every 3 years or so. Are they better off? We literally have one other sports team in town that does exactly what you are proposing and they're a laughingstock. That's the easy part! That's why the Bills still suck!

I know the Sabres are playing horrible hockey but let's not abandon all logic and common sense in response. If Ruff and Regier can't make it work with all of Pegula's resources, they will be fired. But I'm pretty sure they'll be given more than two months to try. I'm not sure they'll be giving more than one season though.

If they get down to 11th place and hold there for more than a week, I will make up some shirts and wear one with my Hockey Purgatory hat to the tent party. Even I have a heart and don't want to shoot them until there is complete disaster.

Darcy looks Wall St. Journalfied. Nice Job!

The easy part is writing checks? That's the easy part? Does that include when the checks total hundreds of millions of dollars and represent commitments of 10+ years? <_<

The easy thing to do would have been to fire Ruff and Regier and just hire whoever to replace them and call it a fresh start. That's exactly what the team in Orchard Park does every 3 years or so. Are they better off? We literally have one other sports team in town that does exactly what you are proposing and they're a laughingstock. That's the easy part! That's why the Bills still suck!

I know the Sabres are playing horrible hockey but let's not abandon all logic and common sense in response. If Ruff and Regier can't make it work with all of Pegula's resources, they will be fired. But I'm pretty sure they'll be given more than two months to try. I'm not sure they'll be giving more than one season though.

I would like to believe what you say, but we have seen enough from Pegula now to know he is loyal to a fault. Deadspin and most hockey cities have run the Cliff Benson story now and nary a peep from anyone at the Sabres. Lindy, "Ain't goin nowhere". Pegula is like a kid in the candy store talking with Hasek....which is a good thing. I think it's great Pegula is emotionally invested in this team as much as anyone here. It just doesn't bode well for logical, tough decisions. He doesn't NEED the money, so he can do whatever he wants without having to worry. If he wants Ruff here for life, we will hear reasons why they didn't achieve what was hoped. I really fear that the masses will turn on everyone there before Pegula comes to the conclusion that a fresh start was needed last year. There are smart-alecs like me, but when the kool-aid drinking crew turns on him, he may take it personal.

Who knows, maybe there is a rabbit to be pulled out of the hat. At 5-1 I was hoping that this would be a fun year and that there was a chance Team Stormcloud would look like the fool. Trust me, I'd eat my own sword if it meant a Stanley Cup.

It takes no effort for Pegula to write those checks. He has money that the next 10 generations of Pegula's couldn't spend if they tried.

Your comparison to the Bills is incorrect. The Bills problem is that they hire on the cheap not that they fire incompetence. If the Sabres were to fire Ruff and Regier and then hire the two guys who would take the job for the least amount of money than there is a comparison to make. I would guess that Pegula would hire from the top end of the available candidate pool not the bottom.

It is common sense to believe that two men that have had what 13 or 14 kicks at the can can't get the job done.

I would like to believe what you say, but we have seen enough from Pegula now to know he is loyal to a fault. Deadspin and most hockey cities have run the Cliff Benson story now and nary a peep from anyone at the Sabres. Lindy, "Ain't goin nowhere". Pegula is like a kid in the candy store talking with Hasek....which is a good thing. I think it's great Pegula is emotionally invested in this team as much as anyone here. It just doesn't bode well for logical, tough decisions. He doesn't NEED the money, so he can do whatever he wants without having to worry. If he wants Ruff here for life, we will hear reasons why they didn't achieve what was hoped. I really fear that the masses will turn on everyone there before Pegula comes to the conclusion that a fresh start was needed last year. There are smart-alecs like me, but when the kool-aid drinking crew turns on him, he may take it personal.

Who knows, maybe there is a rabbit to be pulled out of the hat. At 5-1 I was hoping that this would be a fun year and that there was a chance Team Stormcloud would look like the fool. Trust me, I'd eat my own sword if it meant a Stanley Cup.

a. nice avatar. ;)

b. you can get rid of ruff, regier, pegula, black ... get rid of all of them. the sabres will still play like limp-wristed panty wastes UNTIL SUCH TIME THAT THEY COLLECTIVELY DECIDE TO NOT PLAY LIKE PANTY WASTES. you can't coach heart. that *has* to come from within. you can get rid of everyone on the team and bring in a whole new batch of whoevers. if they all collectively decide to mail it in every night, how is that ruff's or anyone else's fault? you want to be in the NHL? PLAY like you want to be in the NHL.

what sickens me is watching games where they play like they did for the first period against boston, so you know they know HOW to play with heart ... so the only logical conclusion you can draw from watching last night's game is that it was literally a mental choice. "hey, ya know what? f*** it ... i'm still thinking of my pumpkin pie and egg nog. whoa ... was that the puck that just went blurring by? guess i should go get it befo .... HEY LOOK! shiny jumbotron!"

i'll watch the game tonight, but seriously ... i'm actually more interested in learning how to build an iphone app right now than i am in the sabres. at least a well-made app will make me some money, and since money does indeed by happiness, i'll be a glad-ass sumbich in about 6 months. or whenever.

a. nice avatar. ;)

b. you can get rid of ruff, regier, pegula, black ... get rid of all of them. the sabres will still play like limp-wristed panty wastes UNTIL SUCH TIME THAT THEY COLLECTIVELY DECIDE TO NOT PLAY LIKE PANTY WASTES. you can't coach heart. that *has* to come from within. you can get rid of everyone on the team and bring in a whole new batch of whoevers. if they all collectively decide to mail it in every night, how is that ruff's or anyone else's fault? you want to be in the NHL? PLAY like you want to be in the NHL.

what sickens me is watching games where they play like they did for the first period against boston, so you know they know HOW to play with heart ... so the only logical conclusion you can draw from watching last night's game is that it was literally a mental choice. "hey, ya know what? f*** it ... i'm still thinking of my pumpkin pie and egg nog. whoa ... was that the puck that just went blurring by? guess i should go get it befo .... HEY LOOK! shiny jumbotron!"

i'll watch the game tonight, but seriously ... i'm actually more interested in learning how to build an iphone app right now than i am in the sabres. at least a well-made app will make me some money, and since money does indeed by happiness, i'll be a glad-ass sumbich in about 6 months. or whenever.

C U in 6 mths.

C U in 6 mths.

why? is that when everyone on the team that's injured will finally be back and ALL the call-ups that made last night's first full 60 minute game such a complete win in every aspect will be sent back down, leaving us with the players who DGAF about playing and ONLY play to their potential for 15-20 minutes a game?

why? is that when everyone on the team that's injured will finally be back and ALL the call-ups that made last night's first full 60 minute game such a complete win in every aspect will be sent back down, leaving us with the players who DGAF about playing and ONLY play to their potential for 15-20 minutes a game?

no, thats the timetable you gave for your app.

Archived