ES Goals against

LabattBlue

I'm not really interested in +/- because if you are on the ice for 100 ES GF, annd 90 ES GA, you are a +10. Doesn't mean you are good in your own zone. I was looking for a site that list ES GA, but can't find one. Instead, on nhl.com they list total GA, and PK GA. I know TOI should also be factored in, but I'm not doing that much math.

What I am trying to determine is if guys who are on the ice for the fewest ES GA, are guys you can depend on the most come playoff time.

So far the sample size is small(5 games), so I am not sure if this is much of a indication at this point as to who is good vs. bad...

Fewest ES GA so far...

Ennis - 0

Boyes, Gaustad & Gerbe - 1

9 players - 2

Most ES GA so far...

Ehrhoff - 6

Vanek - 4

Then again, maybe this is nothing more than fuzzy math. :D

Wouldn't you also have to factor in which of the opponents' lines the player is put on ice against?

Going by the numbers you observe, I'm not surprised as I would expect Ehrhoff and Vanek to be on ice when the game is on the line.

It isn't an exact science, but I don't see Lindy matching lines very often, so the play against other teams top lines should be equally distributed.

I would also think you would have to factor in Time On Ice. I'm sure Ehroff and Vanek are getting bigger minutes than some of the aformentioned players. Although I'm at work so I can't look this up to verify.

I mentioned TOI in the first post. ;)

Wow, rough morning, sorry I missed it. It's interesting for sure, but I don't know what (if anything) this necessarily tells us. A giveaway by one guy on the ice leading to a goal will give a negative rating to everyone on the ice, even if it wasn't the other four's fault.

No offense, it's an interesting field but doing part of the math can lead to scewy results. TOI, lines they are playing against are just some of the factors. I know they've been mentioned so sorry for repeating them. Its true there is no real stats that judge how good someone is in their own end. Stats for everything else...

Some of those +/- can be attributed to on-the-fly line changes... A bad line change by say Kaleta for Vanek can lead to an odd man rush goal being scored... Is that really Vanek's fault because Kaleta was laboring to get the bench? No, but the - will still be credited to Vanek as he was on the ice. I don't get caught up in the +/- debates... But I do look at ESGA to factor into how well this team is playing, it's obivious so far that if they stay out of the box and off the PP they'll be a high seed playoff team. (but not if they play only 30min of game)

Wow, rough morning, sorry I missed it. It's interesting for sure, but I don't know what (if anything) this necessarily tells us. A giveaway by one guy on the ice leading to a goal will give a negative rating to everyone on the ice, even if it wasn't the other four's fault.

I understand this. I was just looking for a stat that is more reflective of how a player does in his own end instead of +/-.

I'm not really interested in +/- because if you are on the ice for 100 ES GF, annd 90 ES GA, you are a +10. Doesn't mean you are good in your own zone. I was looking for a site that list ES GA, but can't find one. Instead, on nhl.com they list total GA, and PK GA. I know TOI should also be factored in, but I'm not doing that much math.

What I am trying to determine is if guys who are on the ice for the fewest ES GA, are guys you can depend on the most come playoff time.

So far the sample size is small(5 games), so I am not sure if this is much of a indication at this point as to who is good vs. bad...

Fewest ES GA so far...

Ennis - 0

Boyes, Gaustad & Gerbe - 1

9 players - 2

Most ES GA so far...

Ehrhoff - 6

Vanek - 4

Then again, maybe this is nothing more than fuzzy math. :D

All that typing, and you couldn't write out the words "even strength" even once??

I understand this. I was just looking for a stat that is more reflective of how a player does in his own end instead of +/-.

It all depends on how you view +/-

You gotta think that +/- is figured out by ES and SHGA

So the two shorties Buffalo gave up against Carolina was hurting.

But look at this:

Ehrhoff

TOI/G: 24:41

+/- = (-2)

McCormick

TOI/G: 8:53

+/- = (-2)

Players with TOI/G of 14:39-17:01 is where the highest +/- ratings are located.

This is one of those stats that you have to wait till another few weeks into the year to see what happens; kinks get ironed out, etc.

post-2725-058919300 1319056814_thumb.jpg

Archived