Rolston named Amerks coach

RazielSabre

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110727/SPORTS02/107270311

Seems like a great fit for the job, quite a land on the face of it. Can anyone give me some proper feedback on the guy though?

He's had a ton of success with the USNTDP, and has coached a ton of top prospects. I think he was huge pickup and am excited to see what he can do with some of the propsects who are coming out of juniors or college. I think it's a great fit for the Amerks.

He's had a ton of success with the USNTDP, and has coached a ton of top prospects. I think he was huge pickup and am excited to see what he can do with some of the propsects who are coming out of juniors or college. I think it's a great fit for the Amerks.

I think this is part of the "Hockey University" model that Pegula was talking about in the press conference when he bought the Amerks.

For me it was a surprising, and interesting choice in terms of a development model.

What the US program has lacked in terms of virtuosity of talent, they make up for in team speed, skating, and hard-nosed mistake-free play.

I think this is part of the "Hockey University" model that Pegula was talking about in the press conference when he bought the Amerks.

For me it was a surprising, and interesting choice in terms of a development model.

What the US program has lacked in terms of virtuosity of talent, they make up for in team speed, skating, and hard-nosed mistake-free play.

At least until they were run out of the rink by the Canadians at the World Juniors. That was a sad, sad showing. Totally outclassed. All that team speed was neutralized by a vicious forecheck. We can expect to see more of the same at the international level with USA Hockey's new ADM and de-emphasis on the physical aspects of the game. Let's hope Rolston wasn't a big believer in it.

At least until they were run out of the rink by the Canadians. That was a sad, sad showing. Totally outclassed. All that team speed was neutralized by a vicious forecheck. We can expect to see more of the same at the international level with USA Hockey's new ADM and de-emphasis on the physical aspects of the game. Let's hope Rolston wasn't a big believer in it.

I think that may be one of the reasons he was looking to leave the USNTDP. I read an interview with him somewhere that didn't make it seem like he was planning/wanting to stay in Ann Arbor next season.

At least until they were run out of the rink by the Canadians. That was a sad, sad showing. Totally outclassed. All that team speed was neutralized by a vicious forecheck. We can expect to see more of the same at the international level with USA Hockey's new ADM and de-emphasis on the physical aspects of the game. Let's hope Rolston wasn't a big believer in it.

Oh, I hope Rolston wasn't buying into that. :sick:

I agree to a point...puck pursuit was very physical, and so was puck protection...Etem, Krieder, Bjugstad all beasts on the puck. As for blow up hits...you are right.

Gold in Saskatoon.

Bronze in Buffalo.

Not bad results for the talent pool of US players in my opinion.

Yes and double yes and when you consider the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over expecting different results this is a refreshing change from my perspective. The player testimony's didn't hurt forming my opinion either.

At least until they were run out of the rink by the Canadians at the World Juniors. That was a sad, sad showing. Totally outclassed. All that team speed was neutralized by a vicious forecheck. We can expect to see more of the same at the international level with USA Hockey's new ADM and de-emphasis on the physical aspects of the game. Let's hope Rolston wasn't a big believer in it.

Never thought of that angle but I sure hope not.

Don't know much about his college hockey. Does anyone know what style he played in college?

I certainly know what style his brother plays and can hope his philosophy is more inline with that.

We need to draw an important distinction here. Rolston did not coach the team at the world juniors. That was Keith Allain, the head coach at Yale. Rolston has coached for the under 17 and under 18 developmental teams, which play a full season together in US junior leagues and also scrimmage against NCAA teams from time to time. They ARE NOT the world junior team.

We need to draw an important distinction here. Rolston did not coach the team at the world juniors. That was Keith Allain, the head coach at Yale. Rolston has coached for the under 17 and under 18 developmental teams, which play a full season together in US junior leagues and also scrimmage against NCAA teams from time to time. They ARE NOT the world junior team.

Excellent point. I didn't think he was the WJr's coach, but I couldn't remember who was.

Yes, of course. Great clarifying point.

I was more generally referring to the direction of the US programs. Interesting, also that the job Roloston wanted was at Kalamazoo.

I was more generally referring to the direction of the US programs. Interesting, also that the job Roloston wanted was at Kalamazoo.

So he didn't want to move if possible. That makes sense.

I didn't say that he was - I was referring to X's description of the US program and their attributes. USA Hockey has been attempting to implement a developmental model on all its teams from top to bottom. Let's hope that Rolston's defection is at least in part because he disagrees with that developmental model.

As was I, X.

Archived