Realignment

North Buffalo

Was reading some stuff on a Minnesota web posting that said Detroit was going to move into the Eastern Conference and that there would be two 8 team divisions and two 7 team divisions.

If so, would that mean Detroit would be in with the Sabres? Also potentially Columbus would be put in a southern division and Nashville still wants to move into a southeast division, though unlikely unless they really did some moving around. Any thoughts.

I personally like the thought of Detroit in the same division with the Sabres, but who knows how accurate any of this and I guess it couldn't happen this year.

I seem to recall a divisional format talked about that had Detroit, Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, and Pittsburgh all in the same division (along with a few other teams). That would be one tough division. If the playoffs were formatted to include the top 4 from each division it would be very challenging indeed to make the playoffs in that division.

There was some speculation on ESPN today, but because (1) it's speculation, (2), it's ESPN, which covers hockey as well as the Sydney Morning Herald does, and (3) it was an "insider" article, I didn't bother clicking.

There was some speculation on ESPN today, but because (1) it's speculation, (2), it's ESPN, which covers hockey as well as the Sydney Morning Herald does, and (3) it was an "insider" article, I didn't bother clicking.

I read it as I have access to an insider account through work ... there was nothing new ... just some quote from the Minnesota owner about their projected new division that put Detroit in the east by process of elimination.

• 4 months later...

Here are my thoughts:

Winnipeg plays in a division with Carolina, Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay and is probably like 1800+ miles away from any of those places...

NHL is gonna have to figure something out with that one...

IMHO, my solution would be to move Nashville to the Southeast Division, since it is the next closest place to that region, move Minnesota to the Central division, since it is not really anywhere close to any of those other Northwest teams, and put Winnipeg in the Northwest division...

Don't see much of anything else that makes sense, unless you move St. Louis to the Southeast Division, but it is pretty much in the middle of the US, and Nashville is much closer to the Southeast than STL...

Atlantic and Northeast Divisions are pretty much set, as those teams are all in relatively close proximity to each other. Dallas would be another option, as it is nowwhere near any of the Pacific division teams, but then who do you move to compensate? You could easily put Vancouver in the Pacific division, but then Dallas would be in the Northwest division, and they would be equally as far away if not farther away...not really much you can do with them, they would be stuck...

Archived