[OT] Brian Spinner Spencer

Braedon

In visiting the Buffalo News online tonight I noticed that they will run a story about Brian Spencer in tomorrow's edition. I was only 11 when Spencer died, so I vaguely remember him. What a tragic life, however it sounds as if he was an enforcer that was big with the fans. Anyone who remembers his play, I'd love to hear about it.

In visiting the Buffalo News online tonight I noticed that they will run a story about Brian Spencer in tomorrow's edition. I was only 11 when Spencer died, so I vaguely remember him. What a tragic life, however it sounds as if he was an enforcer that was big with the fans. Anyone who remembers his play, I'd love to hear about it.

He was my favorite Sabre growing up. Those blond curly locks. <sigh> My friends and I would go watch the Sabres practice at Holiday Twin Rinks and get autographs. I still have Rocky Farr's broken stick from a practice. He was just so much fun to watch play.

Edited to add: Did you know his father was shot and killed on the night of his debut for the Leafs on HNIC? 1970. He was waiting for the Leafs game in Western Canada and they showed the new Canucks team. In a rage, he drove to the local station and demanded they put the Leaf game on.

Edited to add: Did you know his father was shot and killed on the night of his debut for the Leafs on HNIC? 1970. He was waiting for the Leafs game in Western Canada and they showed the new Canucks team. In a rage, he drove to the local station and demanded they put the Leaf game on.

With a rifle, or a pistol, depending on which account you read. The station complied. As he was leaving the station, the cops rolled up and shot him in a standoff. Spencer was the guest on HNIC in between the second and third periods, but did not find out about his father's death until later that night.

I don't remember him playing for the Sabres (his stint was before my time as a hockey fan; I'm 42), but I'm almost positive I saw him in the AHL while he was winding down his career with Binghamton, Springfield and Hershey...teams I used to see play the Amerks all the time at the War Memorial in the late '70s.

With a rifle, or a pistol, depending on which account you read. The station complied. As he was leaving the station, the cops rolled up and shot him in a standoff. Spencer was the guest on HNIC in between the second and third periods, but did not find out about his father's death until later that night.

I don't remember him playing for the Sabres (his stint was before my time as a hockey fan; I'm 42), but I'm almost positive I saw him in the AHL while he was winding down his career with Binghamton, Springfield and Hershey...teams I used to see play the Amerks all the time at the War Memorial in the late '70s.

He made me dizzy!!! :blink: :blink:

Brian Spencer was one of my favorite players when I was a kid. He was a hard nosed, hard working winger but was also a pretty decent skater. I know there was a movie made about him that CBC aired a long time ago, A Canadian, low budget, kind of a thing but a pretty good movie. I remember his dad, after hearing he was drafted by or traded to the Penguins saying, " Penguins? Penguins? What kind of name is that? Penguins ain't tough!?

Brian Spencer was one of my favorite players when I was a kid. He was a hard nosed, hard working winger but was also a pretty decent skater. I know there was a movie made about him that CBC aired a long time ago, A Canadian, low budget, kind of a thing but a pretty good movie. I remember his dad, after hearing he was drafted by or traded to the Penguins saying, " Penguins? Penguins? What kind of name is that? Penguins ain't tough!?

Someone might have said it, but it apparently was not his father (or it happened well before Spencer went to the Penguins).

I remember Spinner very well, not as a kid, but as an adult. I was 25 when the Sabres were born.

I loved this guy. He reminded me of a pinball, bouncing from one player to the next...always in motion. He was a joy to watch and I think he should be on the list of the 100 top Sabres that was recently published by the News, but he wasn't. In fact I wrote in to complain about that.

The two guys that stick in my mind because they were so "off the wall" were he and Eddie Shack. Those were amazing times.

Don't know what The News' article covers (I don't bother with the print vsn anymore), but if you have the time (as it's a bit lengthy) and want to get the whole bizarre and compelling story about Spinner's trial when he was charged with murder, this old article from SI in '87 is absolutely fascinating. It has it all: hookers, paperback crime novel-type characters, drugs, and of course, Buffalo Sabres hockey. SI article link.

Don't know what The News' article covers (I don't bother with the print vsn anymore), but if you have the time (as it's a bit lengthy) and want to get the whole bizarre and compelling story about Spinner's trial when he was charged with murder, this old article from SI in '87 is absolutely fascinating. It has it all: hookers, paperback crime novel-type characters, drugs, and of course, Buffalo Sabres hockey. SI article link.

Interesting, and thanks for posting that link. I didn't know that Buffalo had TWO former-pro-athlete acquitted murderers.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for the late post, but I wanted to respond.

I was 11 years old in 1970 when the Sabres were born.The first time I ever saw Brian Spencer skate was in 1974 after the Sabres acquired him from the Islanders. He was unlike any other player I had ever seen. He had the ability to make incredible plays against the boards that changed the momentum of games.With his mop of curly hair, he skated around the ice like a ball inside a pinball machine; skating forward then backward, changing direction, seemingly defying the laws of physics. Although it can be said many in the NHL skated with more grace, I never saw anyone skate with more heart and passion than Brian Spencer. Brian was so incredibly generous to the Buffalo community, participating in myriad charity events, and it was through those events my father came to know him. Dad once expressed his concern to me that he feared Spin would be exploited by those who would take advantage of his generous nature and genuine love of people. Years later, after Brian retired from hockey and went to Florida, my father's words came back to me. In our hearts, we knew the only thing Spin was guilty of was placing his faith in people that didn't deserve his trust. I woke the morning of June 3, 1988 to the terrible news. My heart broke. Although Spin wasn't the kind of guy to sugarcoat his life story, so much has been written about him since his death that has been sensationalized. I knew Brian Spencer as an intelligent, thoroughly unique human being, who spoke with the intensity of someone who truly loved life. He was a man with an inquisitive spirit, generous soul, and a heart, bigger than the country he came from. I wear his sweater, number 21, to Sabres games. After Rick Martin's death,I added a memorial patch, for Rick, to Spin's Jersey. A fitting tribute to friends.

I was 11 years old in 1970 when the Sabres were born.The first time I ever saw Brian Spencer skate was in 1974 after the Sabres acquired him from the Islanders. He was unlike any other player I had ever seen. He had the ability to make incredible plays against the boards that changed the momentum of games.With his mop of curly hair, he skated around the ice like a ball inside a pinball machine; skating forward then backward, changing direction, seemingly defying the laws of physics. Although it can be said many in the NHL skated with more grace, I never saw anyone skate with more heart and passion than Brian Spencer. Brian was so incredibly generous to the Buffalo community, participating in myriad charity events, and it was through those events my father came to know him. Dad once expressed his concern to me that he feared Spin would be exploited by those who would take advantage of his generous nature and genuine love of people. Years later, after Brian retired from hockey and went to Florida, my father's words came back to me. In our hearts, we knew the only thing Spin was guilty of was placing his faith in people that didn't deserve his trust. I woke the morning of June 3, 1988 to the terrible news. My heart broke. Although Spin wasn't the kind of guy to sugarcoat his life story, so much has been written about him since his death that has been sensationalized. I knew Brian Spencer as an intelligent, thoroughly unique human being, who spoke with the intensity of someone who truly loved life. He was a man with an inquisitive spirit, generous soul, and a heart, bigger than the country he came from. I wear his sweater, number 21, to Sabres games. After Rick Martin's death,I added a memorial patch, for Rick, to Spin's Jersey. A fitting tribute to friends.

Since this thread was bumped (by your post) a couple of days ago, I have struggled with whether to respond, to let it go (and let the thread return to obscurity), or to let others respond. The last of those isn't happening, and I don't want this to return to obscurity. But I don't have a whole lot to say, either. Suffice it to say that I really appreciate your perspective, and thanks for this post. I'd love to hear from more people who knew Spencer or who remember him, as a player, better than I do.

Oh--and really nice first non-trading-post post!

I remember Spinner quite well. he was a whirling dervish on the ice...tough as nails.You lovvvved him on your team. Unlike most of our present day sabres--he never got outworked for a puck.When he went into the corner it was usually Spinner who came away with the puck. -Not a great talent but no slouch either. He was probbly 180 LBs soaking wet(although that was in the average size range back then).

Intense,tough,nuts--that was Spinner.What a great time that was to be a sabre fan.

I was thirteen when the Sabres came into the NHL, and was thrilled that I could go to the Aud and see Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, the Esposito brothers and all the other stars of the league back then. When Buffalo acquired Brian Spencer, I often wondered why the Islanders were willing to let him go. He brought heart, grit, speed and he sparked these in his teammates as well. I remember that after a win, Spinner would skate to the net and congratulate his goaltender not just with a hug or a pat on the back, but by rubbing his famous curly locks on the goalie's pads. That was pure Spinner - a free spirit who brought a fresh approach to the game and engendered loyalty on his new team. He was never high-scoring, but he always seemed to give the Sabres a lift when they needed one, either with a well-timed goal, or a solid body check or sometimes just one of his trademarked "spinnerama" moves on a rush up ice. I think the fact that we all as Sabre fans still look back on his brief career in Buffalo with fondness speaks volumes about the kind of player, and person he was.

These are great tributes. Still, the Buffalo News and SI pieces paint a picture of a person whose life had really gone off the rails and ended up in a Pulp Fiction world. And it shouldn't be overlooked that he abandoned his family, which is one of the weakest, most despicable things a man can do. He certainly didn't seem to get much in the way of character from his upbringing. It's too bad he couldn't learn from the shortcomings of his father and lift himself up. Easier said than done, to be sure.

These are great tributes. Still, the Buffalo News and SI pieces paint a picture of a person whose life had really gone off the rails and ended up in a Pulp Fiction world. And it shouldn't be overlooked that he abandoned his family, which is one of the weakest, most despicable things a man can do. He certainly didn't seem to get much in the way of character from his upbringing. It's too bad he couldn't learn from the shortcomings of his father and lift himself up. Easier said than done, to be sure.

These facts are also true - we didn't know the person, just the on-ice persona. Some people handle the mantle of fame well, some not so well. Whatever Brian got caught up in really ruined his life (and ultimately took it). A cautionary tale for sure.

Archived