Operation Swarmer

PTS

"U.S. forces, joined by Iraqi troops, on Thursday launched the largest air assault since the U.S.-led invasion, targeting insurgent strongholds north of the capital, the military said. More than 1,500 Iraqi and Coalition troops, over 200 tactical vehicles, and more than 50 aircraft participated in the operation."

God bless our troops. It's great to see that we decided to open a serious can of whoop ass again. This country panders too much to appease everyone, either we pull out or go all out.

Having friends in the military, I know how much they hate being "peacekeepers" and how much they rather "bring the peace".

Get some!

Are you sure you want to get into this? Mixing hockey and war and politics... I dunno.

Insurgent strongholds? Every time we bomb one, don't we end up killing women and children and have to apologize to the Muslim world? Are there really insurgent "strongholds"? The nature of an insurgency, and the reason one is so difficult to defeat, is that they blend into the population. They are nowhere and everywhere at once. No uniform, no standing army, no apparent command structure. We are finding out what the Soviets found out in Afghanistan, and the Brits before us in Iraq in 1920, and the Brits in America, and... history is full of examples.

I applaud and support the troops. God bless them. They never should have been put in this situation.

Are you sure you want to get into this? Mixing hockey and war and politics... I dunno.

Insurgent strongholds? Every time we bomb one, don't we end up killing women and children and have to apologize to the Muslim world? Are there really insurgent "strongholds"? The nature of an insurgency, and the reason one is so difficult to defeat, is that they blend into the population. They are nowhere and everywhere at once. No uniform, no standing army, no apparent command structure. We are finding out what the Soviets found out in Afghanistan, and the Brits before us in Iraq in 1920, and the Brits in America, and... history is full of examples.

I applaud and support the troops. God bless them. They never should have been put in this situation.

I dont really want to argu about politics but I dont remember the last time we apolgized to the Muslim world was. Also just because an insurgency isnt and official army doesnt mean they dont have places where they gather... and i think we have been there long enough to know where those "strongholds" are. I agree with PTS you gotta stay agressive because we are already there and the more we play offense the less time they will have to counterattack. Hoo-rah!

Maybe after we tortured a bunch of them at Abu Ghraib?

OK, so we go kill a couple hundred insurgents. Do you know how many tens of thousands we have killed so far in this war? I think Bush estimated 30,000 recently. What's the point? Thousands more take their place. This is an ideological war, and we are losing it.

Seannie, I take it you served or do serve in the military. Thank you.

No I havent been in the military im in college I am just a conservative that supports the war on terror. Apologizing after Abu Ghraib is different than apologizing for killing women and children, everyone knows that there is collateral damage in a war like this and I dont really feel the need to apologize to a group of people that have absolutly no hesitation to kill our women and children. And in some ways its an idealogical war but it really is about preventing terrorist attacks on American soil and so far we have done that. I just used hoo-rah because i was it was a pro-military post.

OK, how does this go to the PPP board? :)

Personally, I hate having to go run another country. We are geographically isolated, and with all of the natural resources we need. Why spend those resources on another country? The biggest reason is that is still too easy to get into this country.

However, we (nor anyone else) did anything about Germany at the end of WWI. If we had, perhaps the gassing of 6 million Jews and a second world war might have been avoided.

• 4 weeks later...

However, we (nor anyone else) did anything about Germany at the end of WWI. If we had, perhaps the gassing of 6 million Jews and a second world war might have been avoided.

Some... (not me!) would debate whether avoiding the gassing of 6 million jews would be a good thing... people are exposed to the surface of what happend in that time... no one really pays attention to why hitler did it... just that he did...

• 2 months later...

I was breezing through this threa, then came across that statement ("no one really pays attention to why hitler did it... just that he did...")

and kept going, waiting for a response to nfreeman's question. Damn I was disappointed to see no answer at he end...

Archived