AHL/minor leagues Discussion

Bmwolf21

So here's an AHL playoff question....

If I am reading this right, the AHL uses a divisional play format for their playoffs, wherein the top four in each division make the playoffs. But with two conferences of 15 teams, each conference has onedivision with an even number (8) of teams and one division with an odd number (7 teams). So here's what the AHL does - if the 1st-place team in the 7-team division has more points than the 4th-place team in the "full" division, the 1st place team switches divisions and takes the 4th-place team's spot.

Why not just move to three 5-team divisions and adjust the playoffs accordingly? Top-8 in each conference make it? Not sure but it seems better than teams jumping divisions and you would think you could set up some better geographical divisions than what they have now.

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread as we come to the playoffs...

Lake Erie clinched the first AHL playoff berth in franchise history when Abbotsford lost to Hamilton on Tuesday night. Excited about playoff hockey in the AHL as well as the NHL.

Guess I'm the only one keeping this going. :unsure:

Anyways....Lake Erie's first playoff game Saturday at noon, then Game 2 Sunday at 3. Weird start times.

Also interesting to see the schedule changes in the AHL next year - cutting four games from the regular season to 76, and first round will be best-of-5, not best-of-7.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/04/13/17985101.html

Anyways....Lake Erie's first playoff game Saturday at noon, then Game 2 Sunday at 3. Weird start times.

Also interesting to see the schedule changes in the AHL next year - cutting four games from the regular season to 76, and first round will be best-of-5, not best-of-7.

I keep reading. :thumbsup:

I'm reading too, Wolfie.

We've been meaning to get up there for a Monsters game but it never seems to work out. I'm in Ashland, it's not a bad drive so maybe we should just try harder.

I'm reading too, Wolfie.

We've been meaning to get up there for a Monsters game but it never seems to work out. I'm in Ashland, it's not a bad drive so maybe we should just try harder.

I don't know if it was the weird start time (noon) the weather, the fact that the Tribe was scheduled to start at 1 or what but there was only 7900 at today's game. With that said the place was rocking pretty good. Manitoba has some talent and Lake Erie looked rusty and not sharp for long stretches.

At some point there's going to be a heavyweight scrap between LEM's Patrick Bordeleau and Rick Rypien. Rypien was skating by the bench taunting Monsters and Bordy, and Bordy is one of the bigger, tougher guys in the AHL, so he'll be happy to oblige when Rypien wants to go.

So here's an AHL playoff question....

If I am reading this right, the AHL uses a divisional play format for their playoffs, wherein the top four in each division make the playoffs. But with two conferences of 15 teams, each conference has onedivision with an even number (8) of teams and one division with an odd number (7 teams). So here's what the AHL does - if the 1st-place team in the 7-team division has more points than the 4th-place team in the "full" division, the 1st place team switches divisions and takes the 4th-place team's spot.

Why not just move to three 5-team divisions and adjust the playoffs accordingly? Top-8 in each conference make it? Not sure but it seems better than teams jumping divisions and you would think you could set up some better geographical divisions than what they have now.

Travel... The league main concern is about controlling travel cost. Keeping within the division for the first two rounds keeps travel cost down. The crossover is a way to balance out the competition.

And, actually the league has had a crossover rule for sometime. If the 5th seed in the (8) team division has more points than the fourth seed team they will crossover and slot where they would based on points... That's why Portland plays Connecticut and Manchester plays Binghamton, who became the third seed in the Atlantic Division.

Travel... The league main concern is about controlling travel cost. Keeping within the division for the first two rounds keeps travel cost down. The crossover is a way to balance out the competition.

And, actually the league has had a crossover rule for sometime. If the 5th seed in the (8) team division has more points than the fourth seed team they will crossover and slot where they would based on points... That's why Portland plays Connecticut and Manchester plays Binghamton, who became the third seed in the Atlantic Division.

I understand wanting to keep travel costs down but I just don't like the crossover rule. I also don't know how much that keeps travel costs down - Lake Erie is playing within the division but traveling 1200 miles for their series with Manitoba.

Another question - how is there no instant replay, at least for the playoffs? Lake Erie lost in OT today on a goal that was close enough for the ref at the goal line to not make a call and forcing them to huddle up and discuss. How can there not be someone to take a second look at goals like this?

I presume OHL talk is appropriate for this thread. Went to the Oshawa Generals game last week and they were taking on Niagara in the second round matchup. Steve Shipley plays for the Ice Dogs, whom we took in the 4th round of last years draft. Kid played decent picking up an assist. Not sure if I noticed him more because I was looking for him or because he actually stood out. Niagara just beat out the Gens and I believe they will now be playing Windsor (Kassian) for the Eastern Conference finals. In 9 playoff games this year Shipley has a goal and six assists. Of note, Kassian is sitting at two goals and nine assists in 13 games played.

Edit: Windsor is in the west and leads their semi-final series 3 games to 2. If the Dogs can beat the Majors then they will go on to the OHL Finals

I presume OHL talk is appropriate for this thread. Went to the Oshawa Generals game last week and they were taking on Niagara in the second round matchup. Steve Shipley plays for the Ice Dogs, whom we took in the 4th round of last years draft. Kid played decent picking up an assist. Not sure if I noticed him more because I was looking for him or because he actually stood out. Niagara just beat out the Gens and I believe they will now be playing Windsor (Kassian) for the Eastern Conference finals. In 9 playoff games this year Shipley has a goal and six assists. Of note, Kassian is sitting at two goals and nine assists in 13 games played.

Edit: Windsor is in the west and leads their semi-final series 3 games to 2. If the Dogs can beat the Majors then they will go on to the OHL Finals

Absolutely! I welcome any other minor league playoffs discussion so it's not just me whistling past the graveyard.

So Lake Erie scored a pair of ENG's last night to claim a 6-3 win over Manitoba and take a 3-1 series lead. Game 5 is tonight in Manitoba and Games 6/7 (if necessary) would be back in Cleveland.

Here's the updated Calder Cup playoff brackets. Portland and Manchester both have 3-2 leads in their series (over the Whale and Sens, respectively) and the Houston Aeros swept the Peoria Rivermen. All other series are 2-2.

http://theahl.com/stats/bracket.php?view=brief&season_id=36

Just got home from "The V" (Verizon Wireless Arena, Manchester NH) to see the Binghamton Senators rip out the hearts out of the Manchester Monarchs once again. After taking a 3-1 series lead, the Monarchs blew 3 third-period leads and lost 3 straight in OT, the last two at home.

In this game they clawed back from 3 down to take a 5-4 lead before letting the Sens tie after pulling their goalie. The OT winner for B-twon came at 3:05,

The irony is that the Monarchs have consistently done this in the playoffs since they were created 10 years ago. They've had several different coaches and many different players. So why the consistent failure?

They are owned and run by the LA Kings, another underachieving organization. It makes me wonder if this is an organizational problem? Kings ownership and Dave Taylor's management are the one constant.

PTR

Archived