AHL/minor leagues Discussion

Bmwolf21

I know a lot of our posters live in and around areas that have AHL or other minor league teams. Is there any interest in a thread for discussion about prospects, games, things of the AHL or minor-league persuasion?

Sure! I occasionally get to a Manchester Monarchs game, and it's fun to keep an eye on the AHL. Today I saw them play Springfield, with Mike Commodore and Filatov. Commodore looked dominating at this level, but then so does Matt Ellis for Portland. Filatov was nearly invisible. Manchester (Kings affiliate) looked really quick but kind of small...

Sure! I occasionally get to a Manchester Monarchs game, and it's fun to keep an eye on the AHL. Today I saw them play Springfield, with Mike Commodore and Filatov. Commodore looked dominating at this level, but then so does Matt Ellis for Portland. Filatov was nearly invisible. Manchester (Kings affiliate) looked really quick but kind of small...

Nice! We just signed up for a partial season-ticket package for next year for the Lake Erie Monsters (Colorado's AHL affiliate in Cleveland). As part of the deal we got vouchers for the remaining games this season and if they make the playoffs, the first round of games. So it's a pretty good deal.

So last night we saw the Monsters beat Grand Rapids 2-1 in a shootout. I was hoping that WNY product Thomas McCollum would start for Grand Rapids but no such luck. My untrained eye saw a Grand Rapids team that is a pretty quick, skilled team, just what you'd expect from that organization (Red Wings).

Lake Erie just lost John Grahame to Colorado (Anderson left the team for personal reasons) so Jason Bacashihua is manning the nets for the Monsters. He's a pretty good career AHL goalie so the team should be in good hands for the time being. Grahame was AHL goalie of the month in January - 10-3-0, 1 shutout, 1.85 GAA and a .925 save percentage.

I have got a bunch of free Hershey Bears tickets this year from reffing their "Rink of Dreams" games...instead of paying you for it, they give you 2 100 level tickets for every game that you ref. Pretty decent deal, as I haven't been to a game this year yet. I have 3 of them scheduled to go to later in the season, though. From what I can gather, the Bears have not been nearly as good this year as the last few years, mostly because Washington has ravaged their team because of injuries at the NHL Level.

I made it to the AHL All Star game a couple of weeks ago, that was pretty neat. The mascots running around in the crowd and such was the best part, the game was fairly boring.

I have got a bunch of free Hershey Bears tickets this year from reffing their "Rink of Dreams" games...instead of paying you for it, they give you 2 100 level tickets for every game that you ref. Pretty decent deal, as I haven't been to a game this year yet. I have 3 of them scheduled to go to later in the season, though. From what I can gather, the Bears have not been nearly as good this year as the last few years, mostly because Washington has ravaged their team because of injuries at the NHL Level.

I made it to the AHL All Star game a couple of weeks ago, that was pretty neat. The mascots running around in the crowd and such was the best part, the game was fairly boring.

This last comment brings to mind what the little kids sitting right behind me said to their dad at the Manchester game yestersday. Beginning of third period, tied 2-2, one kid says, "Aw, dad, this is the boring part." And the other said, "Yeah, can we go now?"!

The AHL has a pretty good product on the ice, but unfortunately in order to attract crowds (i.e. families), they have to juice things up with all kinds of entertainment during the intermission. That, along with discounted or free tickets, keeps the attendance above 3,000!

This last comment brings to mind what the little kids sitting right behind me said to their dad at the Manchester game yestersday. Beginning of third period, tied 2-2, one kid says, "Aw, dad, this is the boring part." And the other said, "Yeah, can we go now?"!

The AHL has a pretty good product on the ice, but unfortunately in order to attract crowds (i.e. families), they have to juice things up with all kinds of entertainment during the intermission. That, along with discounted or free tickets, keeps the attendance above 3,000!

The Monsters do a lot of promotional stuff to get the rink full but I don't think it's ever over the top. They are owned by Dan Gilbert (Cavs/Fathead/Quicken Loans owner) and seem to really be doing well at the gate. Most weekend games are pretty full - they've had a few games where they've sold out The Q at 18,000+ and are averaging around 5900/nite. The only times we've seen the arena real empty is the occasional mid-week game or weird start times or bad weather.

From what I can gather, the Bears have not been nearly as good this year as the last few years, mostly because Washington has ravaged their team because of injuries at the NHL Level.

Man, when are the Caps going to get serious and commit to a winning AHL team. Maybe they need to sign some AHL vets. :)

Man, when are the Caps going to get serious and commit to a winning AHL team. Maybe they need to sign some AHL vets. :)

Clearly the Bears don't have committed ownership like Donner in Rochester.

• 3 weeks later...

Took in the Monsters-Rockford Ice Hogs (Black Hawks) game tonight. Impressions - Chicago seems to have some tough, talented kids in the AHL. Big, physical team. Lake Erie won in overtime and is now sitting back in a 1st-place tie in the division.

Starting to think I am the only one reading this thread (sure seems that I am the only one posting, anyway) but had a cool moment last night at the Monsters-Ice Hogs rematch. Me and my son both wear Sabres jerseys to the game - my blue new/old logo jersey, and Hunter with his little screened slug/Miller jersey - and when I was taking him to the bathroom between periods we saw standing right outside the bathrooms, wearing a black goathead Barnaby jersey. I pointed the Sabres fan out to Hunter and then I heard "sir, sir turn around" and we did - it was his wife and daughters and the whole family was decked out in Sabres gear (lotta Miller jerseys too). Sabres fans everywhere!

Starting to think I am the only one reading this thread (sure seems that I am the only one posting, anyway) but had a cool moment last night at the Monsters-Ice Hogs rematch. Me and my son both wear Sabres jerseys to the game - my blue new/old logo jersey, and Hunter with his little screened slug/Miller jersey - and when I was taking him to the bathroom between periods we saw standing right outside the bathrooms, wearing a black goathead Barnaby jersey. I pointed the Sabres fan out to Hunter and then I heard "sir, sir turn around" and we did - it was his wife and daughters and the whole family was decked out in Sabres gear (lotta Miller jerseys too). Sabres fans everywhere!

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Nice thing is we usually run into a handful of Sabres fans each game or hear "Go Sabres" a few times as we wander through the concourses, so it's nice to feel somewhat at home.

That's a cool story. I usually catch a few Sabres fans when I can get to Bears games too...It is always a nice little exchange.

I will be going to the Pirates/Bears game in 2 weeks, so I am sure there will be a lot of Sabre fans there. Looking forward to it.

That's a cool story. I usually catch a few Sabres fans when I can get to Bears games too...It is always a nice little exchange.

I will be going to the Pirates/Bears game in 2 weeks, so I am sure there will be a lot of Sabre fans there. Looking forward to it.

There was a guy at Friday's game wearing a Portland Pirates Stuart/#10 jersey. Thought that was unusual.

Hey wolfy, how's the goalie situation in the Avs system? Last time I checked they have nothing but UFAs (well, and the pending RFA in Elliot). If that's the case, I'd imagine they'll be signing some young goalies. BUs #1 is a Colorado pick and I get the feeling that we won't see him back for his senior year next year.

Hey wolfy, how's the goalie situation in the Avs system? Last time I checked they have nothing but UFAs (well, and the pending RFA in Elliot). If that's the case, I'd imagine they'll be signing some young goalies. BUs #1 is a Colorado pick and I get the feeling that we won't see him back for his senior year next year.

I assume you mean Kieran Millan? This year it's been mostly John Grahame and Jason Bacashihua in the AHL, so I haven't really seen anyone else. Looking at the Avs prospects Hockeys Future has four goalies listed in the Avs top 20 prospects and another couple in the notable section, so on the surface the goaltending looks deep - with Millan as the no.3 goalie in the system and the no.12 prospect overall. The only one who has seen any action besides Cash and Grahame is Trevor Cann, but I don't think he has much of a future from what I've read.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/colorado_avalanche

I got in a a good deal this coming Wed. Our 40+ League gets an hour of ice time at the Verizon Wireless Arena to play an exhibition game (only to be seen by close friends and family) a couple hours before Manchester plays the Providence Bruins. We get the ice and Club Seating to the AHL game all for $25. And the Monarchs toss us a thirty pack for each dressing room!

It will be pretty cool to play on that surface, even if nobody is in the stands to watch us!

This is the kind of promotion that makes a minor league team successful. Really no risk for them, since we all sign injury waivers, and it puts folks in the seats for a mid-week game (always a tough sell). Wouldn't you love to see the Sabres do this at HSBC? They don't need gimmicks to boost attendance (yet), but it would be great for the community...

I assume you mean Kieran Millan? This year it's been mostly John Grahame and Jason Bacashihua in the AHL, so I haven't really seen anyone else. Looking at the Avs prospects Hockeys Future has four goalies listed in the Avs top 20 prospects and another couple in the notable section, so on the surface the goaltending looks deep - with Millan as the no.3 goalie in the system and the no.12 prospect overall. The only one who has seen any action besides Cash and Grahame is Trevor Cann, but I don't think he has much of a future from what I've read.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/colorado_avalanche

That pretty much seals it in my mind. Pickard is still years off since he was just drafted this year. Millan and Patterson look pretty similar this season numberwise, but Millan's essentially been a 3 year starter, so I'd think that would make him the more enticing signing. The David Quinn influence could play a role too.

That pretty much seals it in my mind. Pickard is still years off since he was just drafted this year. Millan and Patterson look pretty similar this season numberwise, but Millan's essentially been a 3 year starter, so I'd think that would make him the more enticing signing. The David Quinn influence could play a role too.

I am interested to see what the Avs do in the offseason in terms of the goalies. Bacashihua is basically a 4-A/career AHL'er at this point, and Grahame is still trying to prove he can play in the NHL. There's a tie between Grahame and the Avs organization (his mother works in the Avs front office) so I wouldn't be surprised to see him open the year with the Avs. If not he is likely to go somewhere else he thinks has a potential opening. Either way that would open a spot in the "A" for another goalie to learn from a veteran journeyman like Cash.

On a side note - IMO Quinn has done a fantastic job this year. The team always seems to play hard, there's never a noticeable lack of effort, they've been able to match up their style to their opponent's pretty well, and the team really came on after a rough start to the year. There's been whispers that Sacco (Lake Erie's coach in 07-08 and 08-09, and did not fare particularly well in the AHL before being promoted) is in danger of losing the dressing room in Colorado, so I am hoping they don't lose Quinn just yet.

On a side note - tonight I took Hunter to the Monsters' "Skate with the Monsters" night at their practice facility for their Kids Club members. They had open skate with a couple players (Harrison Reed and Julien Brouillette) the Monsters mascot, Sully, and a couple cheerleaders and some of the game night squad/ticket sales reps (both daddy's favorites - the cheerleaders are hot and the season ticket sales reps all seem to be hot little 20-somethings - :thumbsup: )and had pizza/pop and face painting for the kids. It was a lot of fun and was not only the first time I got on the ice in about 15 years, but the first time I got to skate with Hunter. A very fun night, and a great job by the Monsters' staff.

Just glad to hear you won't standing at the urinal at that moment.

I am interested to see what the Avs do in the offseason in terms of the goalies. Bacashihua is basically a 4-A/career AHL'er at this point, and Grahame is still trying to prove he can play in the NHL. There's a tie between Grahame and the Avs organization (his mother works in the Avs front office) so I wouldn't be surprised to see him open the year with the Avs. If not he is likely to go somewhere else he thinks has a potential opening. Either way that would open a spot in the "A" for another goalie to learn from a veteran journeyman like Cash.

On a side note - IMO Quinn has done a fantastic job this year. The team always seems to play hard, there's never a noticeable lack of effort, they've been able to match up their style to their opponent's pretty well, and the team really came on after a rough start to the year. There's been whispers that Sacco (Lake Erie's coach in 07-08 and 08-09, and did not fare particularly well in the AHL before being promoted) is in danger of losing the dressing room in Colorado, so I am hoping they don't lose Quinn just yet.

We need a new head coach at BU and we'd gladly take Quinn back if he were to lose his job. They haven't been the same since he bolted to the AHL.

Just glad to hear you won't standing at the urinal at that moment.

That would have been weird on so many levels....I probably would have pissed on myself and my kid, it would have been a woman in the men's restroom (which sorta sounds like the start of an, ahem, "adult" film)...

We need a new head coach at BU and we'd gladly take Quinn back if he were to lose his job. They haven't been the same since he bolted to the AHL.

From what I've sen he's done a terrific job so far, which means he won't be long for the AHL. If Sacco does lose the Avs I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach down to Cleveland once again and pluck our HC.

Archived