"We're going to win the Stanley Cup"

wnyguy

Lindy's version has been "Every game is close. There's little separating the teams. It's tough to score goals in the NHL." :wallbash:

I heard the canucks coach say pretty well the exact same things in his interview tonight prior to playing Ottawa. The Canucks are in first place and Ottawa is...well Ottawa. He also added that you can't take teams lightly, blah blah blah. Its all coach speak and all the coaches say it so if Ruff says it, its just more of the same. It doesn't make Ruff any worse or any different than the other coaches in the league.

I see no difference between "failing" to win a Cup with Ruff as coach and 13 different coaches "failing" to win a Stanley Cup over that same time period.

Bylsma did it after only four months. Were the pieces already in place? Yep, but Therrien couldn't get them there.

I'm sure the Knox Brothers said they wanted to win a cup.

It all means nothing unless I see the cup on the steps of City Hall

Wanting to do something and having the will to do what is needed to get what you want are 2 different things.

For instance, a guy 400 lbs may WANT to lose 100 lbs, but if he goes and works out a few times but still eats a box of donuts every day for breakfast, chances are he isn't going to get what he wants because he lacks the will to do what he needs to.

If he starts eating completely healthy, going and working out 4 or 5 times a week even when he doesn't feel like working out or when he would rather be hanging out with buddies or would love that box of donuts or large pizza but instead eats that salad and grilled chicken breast with broccoli, then he is showing he has the will to get what he wants.

From everything I have heard and read about Pegula, he clearly both has the want and the will to win a Stanley Cup. I doubt money is going to be an obstacle, nor will the need to "break even". He not only has the money to do whatever he wants for as long as lives, he seems to have the will to spend it.

Wanting to do something and having the will to do what is needed to get what you want are 2 different things.

For instance, a guy 400 lbs may WANT to lose 100 lbs, but if he goes and works out a few times but still eats a box of donuts every day for breakfast, chances are he isn't going to get what he wants because he lacks the will to do what he needs to.

If he starts eating completely healthy, going and working out 4 or 5 times a week even when he doesn't feel like working out or when he would rather be hanging out with buddies or would love that box of donuts or large pizza but instead eats that salad and grilled chicken breast with broccoli, then he is showing he has the will to get what he wants.

From everything I have heard and read about Pegula, he clearly both has the want and the will to win a Stanley Cup. I doubt money is going to be an obstacle, nor will the need to "break even". He not only has the money to do whatever he wants for as long as lives, he seems to have the will to spend it.

All I am saying is that it is a lot harder to win the Stanley Cup than it is to say you are going to win the Stanley Cup. Talk is real cheap around Buffalo. I've heard about a lot of broken promises and nothing ever seems to get done, so I'm not about to jump on the bandwagon being pulled by Pegula's white horse before he has even put his mark on the team. I'm wondering how patient Buffalo fans will actually be. Pittsburgh and Chicago spent years bottom feeding before they won the Cup, and Chicago looks like they are headed right back where they started.

All I am saying is that it is a lot harder to win the Stanley Cup than it is to say you are going to win the Stanley Cup. Talk is real cheap around Buffalo. I've heard about a lot of broken promises and nothing ever seems to get done, so I'm not about to jump on the bandwagon being pulled by Pegula's white horse before he has even put his mark on the team. I'm wondering how patient Buffalo fans will actually be. Pittsburgh and Chicago spent years bottom feeding before they won the Cup, and Chicago looks like they are headed right back where they started.

You can't take him by his word that he IS going to win a Stanley Cup, there are outside factors involved. But when someone comes out and says that, I expect him to do his damndest to make it happen.

Archived