Regier was extended last fall!

PromoTheRobot

If they are that good....then I have NO ......respect for Regier and Ruff for hanging around in that situation.

Either:

1) They have no pride and are happy with a paycheck

2) Are too comfortable in their little corner to go out into the big world where they may actually face real pressure from media and fanbase

3) Are in on the ruse

4) Are incompetent patsies

5) Multiple or all of the above

I've been in a position where I ran the show until I wanted to do something that actually mattered, then had my hands tied. You put up with it on one occasion, but if you have any self respect and self-confidence, you get the hell out once it becomes a trend. In the short term it is painful on the personal bottom line, but in the long term dignity is worth more, so is open opportunity.

I have heard enough about Pegula to think he's going to do the right thing and can Darcy by the offseason. If that was me buying the team and I see the shenanigans they did by extending Darcy in the middle of negotiations with me....I'd keep him as GM, redefine that role as the guy who runs the zamboni, then make the F'r go out in between periods or quit.

But givin those parameters, the team still won the division last year. There are parameters you can live with, and others that you can't. It took Ted Nolan over 10 years to get back in, these aren't jobs that come along everyday.

Maybe why Ruff turned down, what seems to be, a whole lot of money last fall to re-sign.

I hear you...just posted that.

I have always been confused as to why a guy like Lindy who is smart, funny, and pretty stand up off the ice, was willing to put up with the management decisions all this time, and in most cases stand up for them.

If he reached his breaking point, good for him.

I still think either Ruff needs to go, or 75% of the roster needs to go.

But givin those parameters, the team still won the division last year. There are parameters you can live with, and others that you can't. It took Ted Nolan over 10 years to get back in, these aren't jobs that come along everyday.

You didn't hear? The instant Lindy gets fired, teams will step up to try and get him.

1) They have no pride and are happy with a paycheck

2) Are too comfortable in their little corner to go out into the big world where they may actually face real pressure from media and fanbase

3) Are in on the ruse

4) Are incompetent patsies

5) Multiple or all of the above

There is no way you are simple-minded enough to believe that those are the only options, are you?

1) Loyalty to the team/city/fans (Ruff especially, he's been a Sabre a long, long time).

2) Relishing the challenge of succeeding with restraints other coaches/GMs do not have.

3) Family considerations.

4) Committment to making the team they built be succesful.

You have absolutely no idea why Ruff and Regier are where they are now. Your bluster grows tiresome.

Understood about Ruff. But if Darcy has been GM in name only....looking at what moves have actually happened the past 4 years, you or I could be the GM from our living rooms.

Most QUALITY GM's would not put up with a guy like Quinn. The old school guys would throw him off the roof if Quinn didn't back off......and I'm not joking. You have to be a man in all of this at a certain point. Collecting $1 million+ in the name of loyalty to the management is how Darcy sleeps at night. A real GM would tell them to stuff it.

There is no way you are simple-minded enough to believe that those are the only options, are you?

1) Loyalty to the team/city/fans (Ruff especially, he's been a Sabre a long, long time).

2) Relishing the challenge of succeeding with restraints other coaches/GMs do not have.

3) Family considerations.

4) Committment to making the team they built be succesful.

You have absolutely no idea why Ruff and Regier are where they are now. Your bluster grows tiresome.

Your 1 and 3 are my #2.

Your #2 is a joke.

Number 4 hasn't worked.

Where do I send the pillow?

Understood about Ruff. But if Darcy has been GM in name only....looking at what moves have actually happened the past 4 years, you or I could be the GM from our living rooms.

Most QUALITY GM's would not put up with a guy like Quinn. The old school guys would throw him off the roof if Quinn didn't back off......and I'm not joking. You have to be a man in all of this at a certain point. Collecting $1 million+ in the name of loyalty to the management is how Darcy sleeps at night. A real GM would tell them to stuff it.

Totally disagree. You could see Lamariello backed into the Kovalchuk deal by owners.

He didn't walk out, and the guy is a proud legend and very real.

A GM might not get every move they want. They still serve at the pleasure of the owners.

I think Regier was asked to design a small market sustainable model. And he did.

I think if Regier was asked to design a win at all costs- costs be damned model,no mind to tomorrow model, he could do that too.

Totally disagree. You could see Lamariello backed into the Kovalchuk deal by owners.

He didn't walk out, and the guy is a proud legend and very real.

A GM might not get every move they want. They still serve at the pleasure of the owners.

I think Regier was asked to design a small market sustainable model. And he did.

I think if Regier was asked to design a win at all costs- costs be damned model,no mind to tomorrow model, he could do that too.

You need to look at Chz's "Devils for Sale" post.

I know who Darcy is because he tells us who he is every year. He is scared to take a risk, plain and simple. He's also made moves to handcuff himself.

I am just having flashbacks here today. If the Sabres had been 6-6-1 instead of 9-3-1 going into the break and were 12 points out.....I don't think some would be so short sighted.

Pegula is going to can Regier. He HAS to. Things like signing an extension when he did is all the more proof the amigos were in together. Lindy earns props for turning it down, but at the same time....Lindy benefits to make that public right now. Puts Pegual in an interesting place and gets the word out to the rest of the league he is for hire.

You need to look at Chz's "Devils for Sale" post.

I know who Darcy is because he tells us who he is every year. He is scared to take a risk, plain and simple. He's also made moves to handcuff himself.

I am just having flashbacks here today. If the Sabres had been 6-6-1 instead of 9-3-1 going into the break and were 12 points out.....I don't think some would be so short sighted.

Pegula is going to can Regier. He HAS to. Things like signing an extension when he did is all the more proof the amigos were in together. Lindy earns props for turning it down, but at the same time....Lindy benefits to make that public right now. Puts Pegual in an interesting place and gets the word out to the rest of the league he is for hire.

So Lindy is the one with some foresight, knowing his worth (Then again, potentially, you can say the exact same thing about Regier, in the present NHL economy).

PA.....the sale is done, now things start to be told.

If Ruff told them FU, I'm done with this, good for him. Who knows.

Mike had Lindy going in a few postgame pressers. It was apparent Lindy wasn't used to being challenged.

Mike's been good all season.

In other news: I'm going to take a leaping nose-dive off the nearest bridge.

I kinda felt the same way on page 2 of this thread. By page 4 there is no doubt.

I really need hockey to start again because can't stand this stuff. I just don't care. It's only that much worse when it's the only thing to talk about in regards to the Sabres.

Anyone else surprised by how little Darcy was making, assuming that the contract extension was basically in line with previous seasons?

Here's where you can see that although OSP spent a decent amount on players, sometimes to the cap, the budget for the hockey department was pretty thin.

That's gonna change, and that's huge.

This is only damning stuff if you start with the premise that the entire organization is incompetent, and from there a narrative of incompetence.

It hasn't been so.

506-382-78-67 in the Regier/Ruff era.

Expectations are perhaps starting pretty high for change when the above numbers are baseline.

This is only damning stuff if you start with the premise that the entire organization is incompetent, and from there a narrative of incompetence.

It hasn't been so.

Expectations are perhaps starting pretty high for change when the above numbers are baseline.

506-449 is what that reads.

Is missing the playoffs 6 of the last 9 years reason enough?

And when 2 of those years in the playoffs were directly after wholesale rules changes that allowed a team to excel?

And when the run to the Cup happened with possibly the best goaltender in the history of the game, on a team a rookie coach 2 years earlier won the Jack Adams award with and made it a nickle short of a conference championship with an AHL goaltender, all while having bare-bones knowledge of hockey technicals?

It hasn't been so.

Not really sure what that means with two different scoring methods. My guess is it means they are just about a .500 tandem.

It hasn't been so.

After the last 10 years of Sabres hockey (Dom left 10 years ago this spring), expectations should be high and demands should be high that the next 10 years will be much, much better.

It shouldn't be hard to improve on the last four seasons, that's for certain.

506-449 is what that reads.

Is missing the playoffs 6 of the last 9 years reason enough?

And when 2 of those years in the playoffs were directly after wholesale rules changes that allowed a team to excel?

And when the run to the Cup happened with possibly the best goaltender in the history of the game, on a team a rookie coach 2 years earlier won the Jack Adams award with and made it a nickle short of a conference championship with an AHL goaltender, all while having bare-bones knowledge of hockey technicals?

:lol: Parse it out any way you like. I'm not telling you how to feel about it.

(5 years out of 9 by the way. or 6 misses out of 13? )But 506-382-78-67 is the starting point discussing their competency. Although I think your 506-449 glaringly disregards that they got points in 651 games. :lol:

:lol: Parse it out any way you like. I'm not telling you how to feel about it.

(5 years out of 9 by the way. or 6 misses out of 13? )But 506-382-78-67 is the starting point discussing their competency. Although I think your 506-449 glaringly disregards that they got points in 651 games. :lol:

X....the point system is W-L....overtime is still a loss, and teams are rewarded to play for a tie now. If you want to count those as non-losses, then any win in OT or a shootout shouldn't count.

And yes....this year will be the 6th in 9 missing the playoffs.

X....the point system is W-L....overtime is still a loss, and teams are rewarded to play for a tie now. If you want to count those as non-losses, then any win in OT or a shootout shouldn't count.

And yes....this year will be the 6th in 9 missing the playoffs.

But they DO count. That's why they are worth a point.

This year? Okay.

But they DO count. That's why they are worth a point.

This year? Okay.

OK X......

How does the record:

200-197-62

Look to you? I mean, that's more victories than losses, right?

Can you guess the team?

That would be the record of your Toronto Maple Leafs since the lockout. 6 straight years of missing the playoffs...and according to you, they should be credited for points in 262 versus 197 games.

Awesome!

OK X......

How does the record:

200-197-62

Look to you? I mean, that's more victories than losses, right?

Can you guess the team?

That would be the record of your Toronto Maple Leafs since the lockout. 6 straight years of missing the playoffs...and according to you, they should be credited for points in 262 versus 197 games.

Awesome!

Wait... X. is a Leafs fan?

Archived