WJC roster includes Sabre prospects

spndnchz

Okay, some more from TBN now...

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Nov 29, 2010 2:01:00 PM /

Big news on the World Juniors front -- Sabres prospects Zack Kassian, Brayden McNabb, Marcus Foligno and Mark Pysyk -- have all been named to the Team Canada selection roster for the tournament that opens in Buffalo on Dec. 26. It would appear that Kassian, who is having another stellar season in Windsor, is a lock for the team with McNabb also having an excellent chance at the final roster. Kassian has 12 goals in 21 games, equal to his total in 39 games for the Spitfires last year.

The four-day selection camp, in which the 39-man roster will be trimmed to 23 players, begins in Toronto on Dec. 12. There's a chance NHLers like Los Angeles' Kyle Clifford or Boston's Tyler Seguin could be added as well.

Canada's first game in the tournament is Dec. 26 against Russia.

Awesome. Kassian should be a lock to make it. Pysyk could also make it. Foligno may fall short but he's had a great season, and his stock has gone sky high.

I agree Kassian is a lock but I'm interested in Foligno's chances. He'd be perfect for a 4th line energy guy like Patrice Cormier or Stefan Della Rovere in the past and with Canada seemingly more and more interested in fielding a well rounded squad he certainly has a chance.

Brayden McNabb has upped his stock this year and provides the team with more of a shutdown approach and should make the team but not get much ice time.

As for Pysyk I think he's there more for grooming for next years tourney that takes place in Edmonton/Calgary. He's a jack-of-all trades and a leader type that might actually have a shot at being the future captain.

Now of I can just go into a coma for about 4 years when the sabres might reap the benefits of these young studs. Really excited about Kassian & McNabb. These guys ooze hate.

The new guy fell in love with the style of play of the Broad Street Bullies...think he might like Zack a bit????

Now of I can just go into a coma for about 4 years when the sabres might reap the benefits of these young studs. Really excited about Kassian & McNabb. These guys ooze hate.

I can really see Kassian next year paralleling what Luke Adam's year to date. He'll start out in Portland, get some game under his belt and get a tryout with the big club fairly quickly. If he is an impact player I think he sticks 3/4 of the way through the season and is a full timer the following year.

McNabb still is about at your 4 year estimate but has quite the upside. We could be a pretty nasty team with Foligno/McNabb/Kassian/Weber.

McNabb, Foligno, Kassian, and Pysyk on the list.

There's about 39 on the list. Anyone fill me in on the process?

I assume they look at the guys and filter down to 22 players?

Here's a nice little article on Pysyk from today for anyone wanting to learn more about him... http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/hockey/Mark_Pysyk_Edmontons_unheralded_star_111122439.html

I have to think this is a pretty good sign. Four players on just Canada's team! I went back and looked at the 2008 rosters just to see if I recognized any names, and ya, there are a bunch of NHLers that played that year. Enroth/Ethron was one of them, to name but one. So hopefully the pond is stocked with talent

I have to think this is a pretty good sign. Four players on just Canada's team! I went back and looked at the 2008 rosters just to see if I recognized any names, and ya, there are a bunch of NHLers that played that year. Enroth/Ethron was one of them, to name but one. So hopefully the pond is stocked with talent

These aren't the final rosters though. There are still cuts coming and it can't be very likely that they'll all make it.

I can really see Kassian next year paralleling what Luke Adam's year to date. He'll start out in Portland, get some game under his belt and get a tryout with the big club fairly quickly. If he is an impact player I think he sticks 3/4 of the way through the season and is a full timer the following year.

McNabb still is about at your 4 year estimate but has quite the upside. We could be a pretty nasty team with Foligno/McNabb/Kassian/Weber.

Is McNabb supposed to be tough? I thought he was more of a Tallinder-type, who has size and offensive ability but isn't really going to punish opposing players in the corners or at the blue line. In terms of tough defensive players, I think Shiestel is closest we have on the way.

The Sabres are going to look like a much different team when Kassian and Foligno arrive in the next 2-3 years and Luke Adam takes on a bigger role. It feels like once Adam gets his first goal, he's going to start putting up points. He didn't play much Saturday, but he was awesome on the powerplay last weekend. It'd be nice to have another guy besides Vanek who can go in front of the net and cause problems for the other team.

Is McNabb supposed to be tough? I thought he was more of a Tallinder-type, who has size and offensive ability but isn't really going to punish opposing players in the corners or at the blue line.

Actually, reading up on this, McNabb is a tough guy after all. Awesome.

Here's a pretty good video of him nailing a guy and then immediately beating up that guy's teammate who took issue with it. There are a couple McNabb videos on YouTube like this.

Actually, reading up on this, McNabb is a tough guy after all. Awesome.

Here's a pretty good video of him nailing a guy and then immediately beating up that guy's teammate who took issue with it. There are a couple McNabb videos on YouTube like this.

Exactly. He's a big kid and can throw his weight around. While he may not be feared like Kassian, he can certainly play a physical game quite well.

Archived