The Revenge of the Slug

notwoz

The Sabres dump the slug. The Sabres fall flat on their face. Is it a coincidence? Or is it the curse of the slug? The way this team is playing is so frightening, I'm thinking it's a curse. (Not that I liked the slug, mind you.)

i like this thread actually. we played most games with the slug last year and got tantalizingly close to being considered a real contender (if we had gotten past boston i think buffalo would have almost been a favorite in the east) -- the slug knew it was on its way out and decided to give us one last heartbreak before taking off for good and leaving us in shambles.

Not to completely derail this thread but the teams struggles are a little confounding. It seems like the players aren't really on the same page. Maybe the new faces are taking time to mesh.

With Morrisson, Leopold, Neidermeyer, Gerbe and Ennis; that's a significant number of new guys to get to know.

Regardless, guys like Vanek can't really use this excuse and he looks as bad as anyone out there.

Not to completely derail this thread but the teams struggles are a little confounding. It seems like the players aren't really on the same page. Maybe the new faces are taking time to mesh.

With Morrisson, Leopold, Neidermeyer, Gerbe and Ennis; that's a significant number of new guys to get to know.

Regardless, guys like Vanek can't really use this excuse and he looks as bad as anyone out there.

With all the talk of making a coaching change for the sake of doing so, I feel like Vanek might be the one player on this team that would really benefit from it. I think he's just genuinely lost.

With all the talk of making a coaching change for the sake of doing so, I feel like Vanek might be the one player on this team that would really benefit from it. I think he's just genuinely lost.

He's also probably the best candidate to trade. At least as far as getting a decent return. Contract smontract, a 2 time 40 goal scorer can be moved with ease. There are a ton of big contracts GM's would love to unload.

Vanek is a head case. He's very hard on himself which makes his performance worse. This guy is strung so tight I think someday he'll break his stick by squeezing it too hard.

Also, he's too expensive to trade. Who would pay him $7 mill? You guys are dreaming if you think anyone's going to bite on him based on past performance. He's an albatross around the Sabres' neck that they can't shake.

Which is another fallout from the Briere/Drury fiasco. If that hadn't occurred Quinn might have let him go to Edmonton. How many of you wish now that that had happened? Count me as one.

Ask Scott Gomez about trading bad contacts. It can be done, just not sure Darcy has the moxy to pull it off. He did turn gratton into briere and Warrener/Ballard (I think) into Drury.

We all know it won't happen but it's not an impossibility. Just an improbability.

Archived