Feeling pretty good about our prospects

static70

After having a look at the scrimmage the other day. I have to admit, I am feeling very optimistic about the big clubs future.

I can see Luke Adam centering Tyler Ennis on left wing and Corey Tropp on the right wing.

This looks real good so far.

After having a look at the scrimmage the other day. I have to admit, I am feeling very optimistic about the big clubs future.

I can see Luke Adam centering Tyler Ennis on left wing and Corey Tropp on the right wing.

I liked Luke Adam in the world juniors last december. If he fills out a little more he will be adding some very good size to the Sabres at center.

This is pretty much the Sabres plan. It sure isn't through free agency, other than signing some spares as fillers in order to buy time for players to develop. Really have to give credit to the Sabres scouts for getting the Tyler's in the draft. 2008 draft is looking better and better with Adam's development too.

Feeling good about prospects gets you nowhere, usually. I've been feeling good about prospects since 1944.

Prospects developed and gave us deep playoff runs in 05-06 and 06-07. Granted, Drury and Briere were huge in this equation as well, but so were homegrown talents such as Jay McKee, Derek Roy, Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, Max Afinogenov, Al Kotalik, Brian Campbell, Goose, Hank Tallinder, Marty Biron and Ryan Miller.

So yeah....prospect development does get you SOMEWHERE.

Feeling good about prospects gets you nowhere, usually. I've been feeling good about prospects since 1944.

1944 eh?

Say, do you remember that Bob Hope special in 68, just after Laugh In was on? Man, now that was some funny stuff.

They ended the evening with Dean Martins show, nothing but smiles after I watched that line up. :w00t:

Thanks, it's not from the same time frame, but now I'm picturing you as one of those toothless hick gold prospectors from the cartoons.

Thanks, it's not from the same time frame, but now I'm picturing you as one of those toothless hick gold prospectors from the cartoons.

Like the Prospector from Toy Story 2?

Prospects developed and gave us deep playoff runs in 05-06 and 06-07. Granted, Drury and Briere were huge in this equation as well, but so were homegrown talents such as Jay McKee, Derek Roy, Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, Max Afinogenov, Al Kotalik, Brian Campbell, Goose, Hank Tallinder, Marty Biron and Ryan Miller.

Taken literally, of course you're right.

But in the big picture, every franchise in the league develops prospects into good NHL players, and most franchises have occasional nice runs in the playoffs. This franchise has said it doesn't want to be about mediocrity.

All these prospects look good. Yay.

Yep - it got Brian Campbell a fat contract and a Stanley Cup...just not in Buffalo. Also, only five of the above players are still with the Sabres, so they did a nice job of developing players for other teams.

I wouldn't credit homegrown talent for the 2006 and 2007 playoff runs. As soon as Briere and Drury signed elsewhere, we were left with a team made up entirely of prospects we developed and it was a disaster for two seasons. Then Tyler Myers showed up, turned the franchise around, and we were OK -- until the playoffs started and our team that we developed from scratch got the crap beaten out of them.

Our strategy of relying only on guys we developed has given us a team where you could trade anyone (except Miller and Myers) and no one would give a crap.

Regier's strategy is clearly to win a Cup through developing a team through the minor leagues. It just hasn't worked yet. But, hey, this is only his 14th season as the GM.

I wouldn't credit homegrown talent for the 2006 and 2007 playoff runs. As soon as Briere and Drury signed elsewhere, we were left with a team made up entirely of prospects we developed and it was a disaster for two seasons. Then Tyler Myers showed up, turned the franchise around, and we were OK -- until the playoffs started and our team that we developed from scratch got the crap beaten out of them.

Our strategy of relying only on guys we developed has given us a team where you could trade anyone (except Miller and Myers) and no one would give a crap.

Regier's strategy is clearly to win a Cup through developing a team through the minor leagues. It just hasn't worked yet. But, hey, this is only his 14th season as the GM.

That's what I meant to say!

Kind of like catch and release fishing. It's like masterbating without the payoff.

It's from a movie but it makes sense.

EDIT: and I spelled masterbating wrong because it's filtered by the bad-word-o-meter.

Adam looked pretty slow from what I saw. Actually, the "big" player that I noticed as relatively quick, nimble and skilled for his size was Gregg Sutch. He was a fifth-rounder this year, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that he's almost completely deaf. Interesting story, but also was definitely someone that I noticed on the ice several times and said "who's that big guy?"

Another guy that I noticed (less surprisingly) was Biega. I can't believe that he's 5'10, because he seemed shorter than that (I actually thought "he's the Gerbe of defensemen.") However, he was hitting a lot and played very well. Definitely seemed like he was playing to try and prove something.

this might be the dumbest question ever posted, or one that's been answered ages ago, but i'm going to ask it anyway...

if a player is totally deaf, how does he know when to stop play...especially around a goal-mouth scramble? i can only envision an avalanche of roughing minors whenever he goes to the net.

Kind of like catch and release fishing. It's like masterbating without the payoff.

It's from a movie but it makes sense.

EDIT: and I spelled masterbating wrong because it's filtered by the bad-word-o-meter.

I've always wondered why if a word is filtered, it's suddenly ok to spell it differently and sneak it past the filters. And I'm not trying to call you out on this one, it's just something that has always bugged me, especially in those moments when people swap an S out for a $.

this might be the dumbest question ever posted, or one that's been answered ages ago, but i'm going to ask it anyway...

if a player is totally deaf, how does he know when to stop play...especially around a goal-mouth scramble? i can only envision an avalanche of roughing minors whenever he goes to the net.

Being legally deaf doesn't mean that he can't hear a thing. There are articles when he was drafted that mentioned that he wears hearing aids to help pick up on things. There's obviously going to be some problems there, but he's also going to be far more likely to pick up on certain visual signs that point out that a play is over.

Archived