Sabres re-sign Lalime

carpandean

The trophy that they hand out to the players is a smaller replica which the player gets to keep. The "real" trophy is usually kept at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. When the awards were held in Toronto the last few years, they had the "real" full-sized trophy on stage when the player was awarded the replica. In this case, the awards show was in Vegas and they either didn't want to ship the full-size ones there OR they were already in LA for the Entry Draft (which was just two days later). They used to put all of the NHL trophies on display at the draft, from my very limited draft-attending experience...don't know if that was the case here.

Is this confirmed? Who r ur sources? We need to know and know NOW. j/k

The trophy that they hand out to the players is a smaller replica which the player gets to keep. The "real" trophy is usually kept at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. When the awards were held in Toronto the last few years, they had the "real" full-sized trophy on stage when the player was awarded the replica. In this case, the awards show was in Vegas and they either didn't want to ship the full-size ones there OR they were already in LA for the Entry Draft (which was just two days later). They used to put all of the NHL trophies on display at the draft, from my very limited draft-attending experience...don't know if that was the case here.

Yeah, I know they always wind up getting to keep a mini replica, but like you said, they would have the real thing at the ceremony. That just cheapens the whole event, and maybe even the history of the trophies, by not having them present at their "awarding ceremony". Could you imagine if they brought out 30 mini-Stanley Cups to game 7 of the finals instead of the real thing?

Yeah, I know they always wind up getting to keep a mini replica, but like you said, they would have the real thing at the ceremony. That just cheapens the whole event, and maybe even the history of the trophies, by not having them present at their "awarding ceremony". Could you imagine if they brought out 30 mini-Stanley Cups to game 7 of the finals instead of the real thing?

Would they be the little replica Cups that used to come with the board hockey game? I sipped many times from those Cups -- usually 7-Up.

Archived