How to Spend $10,000,000?

OTTOnME

According to the responses to my "Cap Question" the Sabres have at least $10,000,000* to spend this summer. With that much cap space, Darcy Regier could bring in a blue chip player. Here is my question:

What would you like to see Darcy Regier do with that money?

If I'm Regier, I bring in both Anton Volchenkov and Matt Cullen. Not only would the Sabres be stronger generally, they should be more successful in games against Ottawa. How many points did Buffalo pick up in total against the Senators in 2009-10?

* yes, I am equating cap space with money to spend - well realizing that (in some markets) that is not necessarily so

According to the responses to my "Cap Question" the Sabres have at least $10,000,000* to spend this summer. With that much cap space, Darcy Regier could bring in a blue chip player. Here is my question:

What would you like to see Darcy Regier do with that money?

If I'm Regier, I bring in both Anton Volchenkov and Matt Cullen. Not only would the Sabres be stronger generally, they should be more successful in games against Ottawa. How many points did Buffalo pick up in total against the Senators in 2009-10?

* yes, I am equating cap space with money to spend - well realizing that (in some markets) that is not necessarily so

I love both players but think both players will be over priced. I see Cullen as a great 3rd line center but a below average #2 and I see Volchenkov as a $4 million defenseman and think he will pull in closer to $5 million.

For $10 mill, I would rather have Kaberle, Hemsky and Belanger Alex.

I love both players but think both players will be over priced. I see Cullen as a great 3rd line center but a below average #2 and I see Volchenkov as a $4 million defenseman and think he will pull in closer to $5 million.

For $10 mill, I would rather have Kaberle, Hemsky and Belanger Alex.

I'd pay $5 million for Anton Volchenkov.

I still can't help but think a guy like Volchenkov is going to break down Jay McKee style. Their careers are so incredibly similar and that is the type of defenseman who is far more likely to hit a wall in their early 30s.

That maybe true, I would still like to get his toughness on the ice in a Sabres uniform as long as possible. Imo, he would be the perfect compliment to Myers game. I would also like for Mike Weber to get a first hand look every day in practice and every game at how Volchenkov plays. He is the exact player I hope Weber becomes.

That maybe true, I would still like to get his toughness on the ice in a Sabres uniform as long as possible. Imo, he would be the perfect compliment to Myers game. I would also like for Mike Weber to get a first hand look every day in practice and every game at how Volchenkov plays. He is the exact player I hope Weber becomes.

He's the kind of guy that would be ideal under a 3 year contract, but will sign for much longer. It would be a pretty good fit with Myers though, that lockdown stay at home guy who gives Tyler the freedom to move up ice a little more. Tallinder was basically a much lesser version of that and it worked. An upgrade there would be nice, but I think they'll go the PP QB route first (and rightfully so, I think) and hope that Weber can fill that void.

I can go along with most of this, but it's far from clear that Volchie can hang with Myers on the top pairing. He's been a solid, 20-minute 2nd-pairing guy for Ottawa for the past few years. I think Myers is going to play at least 25 min. per game for the next 15-20 years, at which point he'll retire from the NHL and become president.

I can go along with most of this, but it's far from clear that Volchie can hang with Myers on the top pairing. He's been a solid, 20-minute 2nd-pairing guy for Ottawa for the past few years. I think Myers is going to play at least 25 min. per game for the next 15-20 years, at which point he'll retire from the NHL and become president.

That difference in ice time could come in the form of PP minutes.

Can a dual citizen become president?

Can a dual citizen become president?

The United States does not recognize dual citizenship. You are either a US citizen or you are not. Also, you have to be born in the US to become president - no naturalized citizens allowed. Otherwise Governor Arnold would be running for the office...

The United States does not recognize dual citizenship. You are either a US citizen or you are not. Also, you have to be born in the US to become president - no naturalized citizens allowed. Otherwise Governor Arnold would be running for the office...

Myers was born in Texas, so there is no reason he won't become president.

I agree. I would overpay if needbe. Volchenkov's skating ability would be my only concern with pairing him with Myers. Tallinder is an excellent skater for a dman and allowed Myers to join the rush and gamble a bit b/c Hank had his back. Not sure Volchenkov would be as effective in that role. Regardless, he is a nasty mf'er who would be a great addition even if we have to spend more in $'s and years to get him.

I've been away for awhile (work took over my life after the playoffs), but I've been trying to keep up with the board when I can, just haven't had time to post. Oddly enough, this was the first post that I felt I needed to respond to, so sorry Moongate, if it appears I'm picking on you, but:

The US definitely recognizes dual citizenship - there is no ultimatum about citizenship in any way. See below:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

I also know this because my wife is Israeli and has dual citizenship. You are right on the fact that you must be born in the US to be president, however.

I agree. I would overpay if needbe. Volchenkov's skating ability would be my only concern with pairing him with Myers. Tallinder is an excellent skater for a dman and allowed Myers to join the rush and gamble a bit b/c Hank had his back. Not sure Volchenkov would be as effective in that role. Regardless, he is a nasty mf'er who would be a great addition even if we have to spend more in $'s and years to get him.

Would love to have him. He's nasty, he's tough and he has some skill offensively. Not sure what he brings to the lockerroom, but that is secondary. We also may be scarred by how well he seems to play against the Sabres...assume he keeps it up against everyone else?

Would love to have him. He's nasty, he's tough and he has some skill offensively. Not sure what he brings to the lockerroom, but that is secondary. We also may be scarred by how well he seems to play against the Sabres...assume he keeps it up against everyone else?

i could be wrong but i think volchenkov has little to no skill offenseivly.

DeLuca, I would bring Anton Volchenkov to Buffalo for the very reason you've stated. You put Volchenkov beside Tyler Myers - 5 on 5 - and you maximize the contribution Myers can make to the Sabres. Those two would be both the shut-down pair and the defensive pair best able to contribute offensively. They would give the opposition's top line something to think about.

On the powerplay - ideally - I would have Myers on the point with someone like Tomas Kaberle, or Joe Corvo or Derek Morris.

i could be wrong but i think volchenkov has little to no skill offenseivly.

Power play issues aside, I think we need a top four D-man to replace Lydman and/or Hank. I'm not so worried about the offensive skill from our blueline.

A lot of what Myers was able to do this year was due to Hank's steady play and knowing he'd cover his back when needed. I love how Montador played in the playoffs...we'll see if it continues next year.

His numbers have been similar to Hank's, though his assists were down a little in the last two seasons.

Anton has never cracked the 20 point mark, so I'd calll that fairly inept offensively. I want him on my team, just not on the PP.

Anton has never cracked the 20 point mark, so I'd calll that fairly inept offensively. I want him on my team, just not on the PP.

I love Volchenkov but I doubt they go in that direction. I bet they resign Lydman and bring up Weber. That gives you 4 d (rivet, weber, montador, lydman) with size who play physically - not to mention Myers who hopefully will get more physical as he develops. So if they are going to spend $'s on a dman it will likely be for an offensive one. Gonchar? Martin? Assuming they do anything.

I'd bring back Hank for 3.75 for 2-3 years and work a sign and trade with Gerbe/Stafford/next year's 2nd pick for Bobby Ryan and give him the 5.25 he's looking for. Then I'd use the remaining 3.5 (after taking Staff off the books) and convince Modano that we're going for it and bring him in for a year.

Either that or give $10M to a gubernatorial candidate with no chance of winning....

I'd bring back Hank for 3.75 for 2-3 years and work a sign and trade with Gerbe/Stafford/next year's 2nd pick for Bobby Ryan and give him the 5.25 he's looking for. Then I'd use the remaining 3.5 (after taking Staff off the books) and convince Modano that we're going for it and bring him in for a year.

Either that or give $10M to a gubernatorial candidate with no chance of winning....

All indications seem to point to Hank looking for a longer deal than two years -- I'd be fine signing him for three or four, but I'm not 100 percent convinced he's worth the 4 mil or so he's probably asking and will receive from Philly or someone else. Then again, he is a top four D-man and works well with Myers. OK, I'm sold.

I think this is a pivotal point in Buffalo history. We're back in the playoffs, back in the hunt after two tough years...but no one really feels like we're close to winning it all. We're a nice team -- during the regular season. We need to become a team that is feared, a team that is hard to play against...like the gritty, hard-working teams we used to have. Combine that with some skill...and no matter what happens, they won't fold.

We've got one of the major points of today's NHL covered -- goalkeeping. The clock is ticking on Miller's prime...let's not friggin' waste it. I'd like to see us be active in the offseason...but not stupid. Timmy C must go...other than that I'm not sure.

Archived