Reality Check

OTTOnME

While there may be a long list of players Sabres' fans would like to see traded - either to or from Buffalo - the fact remains that we may actually see very little player movement, and none that is significant. Remember all the player movement we saw in Buffalo when the Sabres missed the playoffs two seasons running? After watching his team pick up 100 points and not only return to the playoffs but lead the division, how motivated is Darcy Regier going to be to change his roster significantly?

Does anyone really believe that Regier and Lindy Ruff see the Sabres as a team in need of a shake-up? The sort of shake-up we - in the gallery - are hoping and calling for?

Unfortunately, if we only dealt in reality or even probable, this place would be pretty boring. As much as I criticize people for suggesting things that are all but certain not to happen, it's fun to at least talk about the unlikely, but remotely possible. Who knows, maybe Darcy will surprise us ...

Unfortunately, if we only dealt in reality or even probable, this place would be pretty boring. As much as I criticize people for suggesting things that are all but certain not to happen, it's fun to at least talk about the unlikely, but remotely possible. Who knows, maybe Darcy will surprise us ...

As Sabre fans that all we really have to cling on to. We have to hope that something happens down at the HSBC offices to force Regier and the rest of Status Quo out of their comfort zone. While other teams will be going after the top stars the Sabres will be going after Kathy Griffin on the 'D List' of free agents. That's just the reality of it. Steve Montador was a Sabre free agent signing last year because that was the best Regier can do. Something needs to change and it has to be drastic and have impact. Not just on the ice but also in the minds of fans.

As Sabre fans that all we really have to cling on to. We have to hope that something happens down at the HSBC offices to force Regier and the rest of Status Quo out of their comfort zone. While other teams will be going after the top stars the Sabres will be going after Kathy Griffin on the 'D List' of free agents. That's just the reality of it. Steve Montador was a Sabre free agent signing last year because that was the best Regier can do. Something needs to change and it has to be drastic and have impact. Not just on the ice but also in the minds of fans.

Should we be planning a rally/protest march? I could make signs. Who's got the bullhorn?

Should we be planning a rally/protest march? I could make signs. Who's got the bullhorn?

Better yet, bring those annoying horns at the World Cup Soccer Game to the first 10 home games.... It would have to annoy the heck out of the coaches, let alone the players.

I just bought a vuvuzela on eBay if that helps. I plan on blowing it in the direction of my neighbor's bedroom at 6 a.m. after one of their famous all-nighters.

While there may be a long list of players Sabres' fans would like to see traded - either to or from Buffalo - the fact remains that we may actually see very little player movement, and none that is significant. Remember all the player movement we saw in Buffalo when the Sabres missed the playoffs two seasons running? After watching his team pick up 100 points and not only return to the playoffs but lead the division, how motivated is Darcy Regier going to be to change his roster significantly?

Does anyone really believe that Regier and Lindy Ruff see the Sabres as a team in need of a shake-up? The sort of shake-up we - in the gallery - are hoping and calling for?

I wonder if any of the Sabres' front office ever reads any of these forums or other fan opinions. If not, for all we know Darcy et al. might be thinking they are doing GREAT. :rolleyes:

Carpandean, you're right. Playing "what would I do if I were GM of the Buffalo Sabres?" is much more fun than playing "what would I do if I were Darcy Regier?"

Regier was on with Bulldog one afternoon, and was sniffing at the notion of loading up at the trade deadline for one good Hail Mary Pass - i.e. a legitimate run at the Stanley Cup. He wants a team which will be perennial contenders. But when do we see that team?

My qualms with Darcy notwithstanding, I haven't yet ruled out the possibility that we might actually see significant player movement in Buffalo this summer. The stars may be aligned just right. Chicago and Philadelphia have to move players of some worth to fit under the cap. Atlanta and Florida seem determined to shake up their rosters. There's a very good - and relatively inexpensive - offensive defenseman seemingly available in Toronto.

I can't shake the notion - which may be just wishful thinking - that we might in fact see Tomas Kaberle in a Sabres uniform. Buffalo may be on the short list of teams he would be willing to sign with beyond 2010-2011.

The big centre we need may come to us from Atlanta.

Carpandean, you're right. Playing "what would I do if I were GM of the Buffalo Sabres?" is much more fun than playing "what would I do if I were Darcy Regier?"

Regier was on with Bulldog one afternoon, and was sniffing at the notion of loading up at the trade deadline for one good Hail Mary Pass - i.e. a legitimate run at the Stanley Cup. He wants a team which will be perennial contenders. But when do we see that team?

Well, then he should take a look at a team, like the Avalanche of the mid 90's to early 00's, for example.

Only problem is, that team routinely replaced a couple of players every off-season. And we're not talking fourth liners, we're talking good players departing, and good players coming in, so I'm pretty sure that doesn't qualify as "building a contender" in Darcy's book.

You know what the real "reality check" is. Its that Darcy Regiers system, plan or way of managing a hockey club is a failure. Thats the reality check in all honesty. No Stanley Cup in 13 seasons, no matter how close the club came, is a failure. There are no trophies, no parades for second place.

Static I agree 100%. Regier has accomplished absolutely nothing in my book. No stanley cup=12 years of failure. This guys time should have expired by now. I'll say it again. How much more time do you give him to prove to us AGAIN that he isn't capable.

Static I agree 100%. Regier has accomplished absolutely nothing in my book. No stanley cup=12 years of failure. This guys time should have expired by now. I'll say it again. How much more time do you give him to prove to us AGAIN that he isn't capable.

It's not as much failure as it is incomplete. He just refuses to go far enough. Like he is afraid to succeed. It's like he is a great assistant GM. He just needs a actual GM to make the calls that require ballz.

Archived