Muscle Up Front

OTTOnME

Are we all agreed that the Buffalo Sabres need a top-six forward with some size and a willingness to use it? That's why I echoed Paul Hamilton's* suggestion that the Sabres pursue David Backes.

Let's come up with a list of forwards who fit the description of what is needed in Buffalo. While Alex Ovechkin would make a great addition - and Sydney Crosby, too - let's stick to guys who legitimately could be attained this summer.

Here are two names to begin the discussion - in both cases players on teams with cap problems:

Scott Hartnell

Dustin Byfuglien

Are there other players - of similar styles - who might be as available, if not moreso?

* is Paul any relation to Al Hamilton?

I would love a players of David Backes size and strength. He was a man amongst boys in the Olympics at times and he's still very young. I just don't see the Blues letting go of such a talented young player such as him. Of course Darcy's job as a GM is to make the deals that maybe wouldn't be obvious to everyone but could be adventagious to the Sabres happen. He has made such deals in the past: Drury & Briere but I am still skeptical to his or the Sabres desire to make such a deal happen. Scott Hartnell was another player that is tough as nails that I LOVED watching pay the price and drive to the net during the playoffs, more players of his makeup are sorely needed to turn around this soft yet talented group. Great post, hope to see some moves made on draft weekend for the Sabres.

Are we all agreed that the Buffalo Sabres need a top-six forward with some size and a willingness to use it? That's why I echoed Paul Hamilton's* suggestion that the Sabres pursue David Backes.

Let's come up with a list of forwards who fit the description of what is needed in Buffalo. While Alex Ovechkin would make a great addition - and Sydney Crosby, too - let's stick to guys who legitimately could be attained this summer.

Here are two names to begin the discussion - in both cases players on teams with cap problems:

Scott Hartnell

Dustin Byfuglien

Are there other players - of similar styles - who might be as available, if not moreso?

* is Paul any relation to Al Hamilton?

I'll toss a name out there. How about bringing back the Paul Gaustad of 4-5 years ago? Gaustad was supposed to be a player fans have dreamed of for years. He has the size but at some point he lost the desire. There is a flash here and there from Gaustad. Not enough so for what Buffalo needs from him.

I'll toss a name out there. How about bringing back the Paul Gaustad of 4-5 years ago? Gaustad was supposed to be a player fans have dreamed of for years. He has the size but at some point he lost the desire. There is a flash here and there from Gaustad. Not enough so for what Buffalo needs from him.

The Goose has suffered a bit these last couple of seasons with injuries which has maybe taken some of the momentum and fire from him. I am also starting to wonder like many if it is that Lindy Ruff's messages aren't getting through anymore? Are some of these players like Gaustad, Pommenville, Stafford or even Vanek tiring of his "system"... They did just win the Northeast division with 100pts, but the lack of desparation and of course any semblence of NHL or even AHL Power Play was their undoing. I'll be curious if they try to bring in a new P.P. coach. I hope the Gaustad and some of the players mentioned above can reach a new level in their game along with hopefully a couple new pieces to the puzzle. Draft day is here next week...Paging Mr. Regier, Mr.Darcy Regier to the trade table please....

I don't think I can come up with a single play Goose made in the playoffs.

I'm really baffled how anyone can look back at the Boston series objectively, and think the Sabres weren't out-muscled.

I don't think I can come up with a single play Goose made in the playoffs.

I'm really baffled how anyone can look back at the Boston series objectively, and think the Sabres weren't out-muscled.

They tried to out play and out muscle Boston early in the series but they just weren't built for that type of game and fizzled out in the end. Goose was passenger on a bus full of Sabres who were looking for someone to step up...and now we're still looking... Hope they can build on what Myers and Ennis along with some of the other kids did at the end of the season and mix some good, tough, gritty forwards with size and a will to win! Having Grier back was a good first step, now stop being fiscally responsible Darcy and mix some imagination and some cash to kick this team into gear. Your job & Lindy's may be on the line if we see another display of hockey like we did in that Boston series!

I thought he had a good first half last year, but like many of his teammates, went south down the stretch and in the playoffs. At 28 years old and $2.3MM per year, it's fair to expect more.

I thought he had a good first half last year, but like many of his teammates, went south down the stretch and in the playoffs. At 28 years old and $2.3MM per year, it's fair to expect more.

I said this a while back and I still believe it today. If Paul Gaustad were to turn his game around and get back to playing as he did when he first started it would be as important as any possible trade. There is such a vast void of physicality on this team that he could a long way towards filling.

He is limited as far as pure hockey talent/skills are concerned along with just adequate skating ability. His injuries have robbed him of the only aspect of his game that really makes him valueable to this team being his physical play. Along with his faceoff ability that really was a huge part during the regular season but tailed off at the end of the year/playoffs. I do really like the "Goose" and hope he can rebound this year and of course stay injury free.

DeLuca, my suspicion is that we would see the old Paul Gaustad - or at least a reasonable facsimile - if the Buffalo Sabres were to bring in someone like David Backes, Scott Hartnell, Dustin Byfuglien or a re-energized Nathan Horton. Watching a teammate play a physical style every game - if not every shift - would (hopefully) inspire Gaustad to do the same.*

* While it is true that Horton did not play that style regularly in Florida, the expectation would be that being in Buffalo - so close to the folks and friends in Welland - would compel him to play that way regularly.

DeLuca, my suspicion is that we would see the old Paul Gaustad - or at least a reasonable facsimile - if the Buffalo Sabres were to bring in someone like David Backes, Scott Hartnell, Dustin Byfuglien or a re-energized Nathan Horton. Watching a teammate play a physical style every game - if not every shift - would (hopefully) inspire Gaustad to do the same.*

* While it is true that Horton did not play that style regularly in Florida, the expectation would be that being in Buffalo - so close to the folks and friends in Welland - would compel him to play that way regularly.

So you're saying Kaleta does nothing for him?

So you're saying Kaleta does nothing for him?

All the players he mentioned are better hockey players. Not to say Kaleta won't improve. I would agree that bringing a player with and hockey ability to pair up with Gaustad would be a good move. You can take one of the older vets like Grier and toss on the other wing. If it were Horton I would want him on Vanek's line.

All the players he mentioned are better hockey players. Not to say Kaleta won't improve. I would agree that bringing a player with and hockey ability to pair up with Gaustad would be a good move. You can take one of the older vets like Grier and toss on the other wing. If it were Horton I would want him on Vanek's line.

Does Horton = Stafford, just in a different uniform so he looks more attractive? That is my worry.

Does Horton play the guitar? No more players with hobbies. I want players whose hobbies are working out and ultimate fighting.

Does Horton = Stafford, just in a different uniform so he looks more attractive? That is my worry.

Does Horton play the guitar? No more players with hobbies. I want players whose hobbies are working out and ultimate fighting.

And eating raw meat....

Archived