Should the NHL ban smelling salts?

PASabreFan

It bothers me to see NHL players huffing this stuff at the start of periods. And huffing is exactly what it is. What are young people, especially young players, going to think when they see a guy like Byfuglien doing it, then offering it to his teammate? Then hear players talk about how it gives them a mental pickup and a quick energy boost.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this online.

Here's a blog from Washington:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/01/the_caps_and_smelling_salts.html

It bothers me to see NHL players huffing this stuff at the start of periods. And huffing is exactly what it is. What are young people, especially young players, going to think when they see a guy like Byfuglien doing it, then offering it to his teammate? Then hear players talk about how it gives them a mental pickup and a quick energy boost.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this online.

Here's a blog from Washington:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/01/the_caps_and_smelling_salts.html

This question opens Pandora's Box, should the league ban energy drinks as well?

I'd rather, and do, use those electrolyte strips when I do sports. Enlyten makes them. They have ones for hangovers, electrolytes and I think soon they'll have them for medicines.

It's buccal absorption. U put one between your cheek and gum and it melts into your bloodstream in 2 minutes. I did some research on them before I started using it. They actually are suing Gatorade right now because Gatorade said they were infringing on their NFL space and got them kicked out.

I'd rather, and do, use those electrolyte strips when I do sports. Enlyten makes them. They have ones for hangovers, electrolytes and I think soon they'll have them for medicines.

It's buccal absorption. U put one between your cheek and gum and it melts into your bloodstream in 2 minutes. I did some research on them before I started using it. They actually are suing Gatorade right now because Gatorade said they were infringing on their NFL space and got them kicked out.

That makes me think of this.

Usually leading to this.

While googling to see if smelling salts actually are dangerous at all, I came across this gem:

"hi, i'm 16 and my boyfriend always used ammonia before sex. my friends told me this was bad but after fainting five times i want to know if this is a risk to my baby and i and will aborting her make matters better?" --smartguy

While googling to see if smelling salts actually are dangerous at all, I came across this gem:

"hi, i'm 16 and my boyfriend always used ammonia before sex. my friends told me this was bad but after fainting five times i want to know if this is a risk to my baby and i and will aborting her make matters better?" --smartguy

The kid would probably just be born with a good set of lungs. --stupidass

Jim Kelly's brother once ran that company. He got a bunch of NFL teams involved before the Gatorade thing happened. It's a company called HealthSport. Pretty cool technology, they're working on diabetes meds. better than shooting insulin.

Jim Kelly's brother once ran that company. He got a bunch of NFL teams involved before the Gatorade thing happened. It's a company called HealthSport. Pretty cool technology, they're working on diabetes meds. better than shooting insulin.

Correct, and Jim was a major investor (as one would expect). For a while, I dated the daughter of a distributor. I forget how it all settled out; I think it was a buyout by Gatorade. Yes? No?

The product was good; I haven't used it (or smelling salts, for that matter) since the resolution of the dispute.

I've had the salts once after getting knocked for a loop in a minor hockey game. It clears your head real fast and you recover quicker to continue the game. This was back in the late seventies and nobody really thought anything of it at the time. It was'nt abused and I only ever saw it used a few times. Guys were'nt using it to get up for a game,it was only for recovery from bad hits to the head or when you were winded from a big hit. Now days with energy drinks and stuff like red bull pushed on kids by the media it probably desensitizes a kids attitude towards taking this stuff. Up here in Canada the latest fad energy drink is something called beaver buzz?

Correct, and Jim was a major investor (as one would expect). For a while, I dated the daughter of a distributor. I forget how it all settled out; I think it was a buyout by Gatorade. Yes? No?

The product was good; I haven't used it (or smelling salts, for that matter) since the resolution of the dispute.

Gatorade is still in court, continuance after continuance...

Archived